Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 01-24-2016, 02:29 PM   #1  
lissyfatchick

S/C/G: 215/212/155

Height: 5'7"

Default Gastric Balloon Forum Anyone

Well, I feel a little lonely. Don't know many people who've gotten the gastric balloon yet. Maybe it's too new. I've had mine for a while now. Not too bad. I'd love to see anyone else with an opinion, status update, plans for the future.
melissa2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:57 AM   #2  
I need more coffee.

S/C/G: 280/259/170

Height: 5'9"

Mine was inserted April 28th. I have lost 11# so far and my goal is 50# in one year.

I feel lonely too since it is new in the USA. It is like I have to give a seminar to everyone I talk to.

I still feel really tired, but that is supposed to get better over time.

How are you feeling?
DixieAmazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:22 PM   #3  

hi guys, how much did you pay for the gastric balloon? Planning on getting one on September 8th, How is the weight loss?
Thanks in advance.
Bagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 12:04 PM   #4  
I need more coffee.

Smile

Over $7000. Includes installation and removal, all hospital fees, monthly dietician consult, etc. After spending that I figure it is my job to lose the weight. I have lost 34.9# so far.

Which balloon are you planning to get?

Last edited by DixieAmazon; 08-10-2016 at 12:13 PM.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:46 PM   #5  
Mistress of my destiny

S/C/G: 234.6/166.2/154

Height: 5'6"

I had an Orbera balloon placed last week. I'm hoping to lose 40 lbs in the next 6 months. My doctor and his support staff say this should be an achievable goal.

I think this forum could be a great resource. I searched the web for personal stories of gastric balloons and only found European blogs, mostly from a few years ago. So I thought I'd share my experiences here. Please feel free to move this post if you don't think it's appropriate to this forum.

I've tried several different diet plans, all the usual suspects: WW, Ideal protein, HMR, the fad/crazy plans. I'd lose 10-20 lbs then fall off plan after a month or so and regain all I'd lost. I finally made the decision to investigate weight loss surgical intervention and found Orbera. The balloon appealed to me because it's not a permanent change to my insides. Outpatient procedure with only sedation anesthesia. Short recovery timeframe. Reversible. And a full year of support built into the program.

Pre-procedure, I met with the surgeon, a medical doctor for clearance, and the dietitian. The dietitian took a food history and explained in great detail the eating plan for the balloon. All my questions were answered. Clear liquid protein drinks are a mainstay of the initial plan. I was able to try the different flavors before my balloon was placed. Some are very sweet (too sweet) but I found a few that I genuinely liked.

The morning of the surgery, I met the anesthesia provider. The IV medicine put me right out and 10 minutes later, everything was finished and I was in recovery. I went home 30 minutes later. I had been told to take small sips of water frequently to stay hydrated. I was warned that the first 1-2 days would be brutal with nausea. They didn't lie. It was miserable. I couldn't keep anything down. I had been given multiple medications to settle my stomach, but nothing helped. There is NO WAY I could have worked those first 2 days. On the evening of Day 2, I was advised to try flat gingerale. That finally worked, literally a sip at a time. On Day 3 I was able to start sipping the protein drink. The daily requirement is 2 20 ounce bottles giving a total of 80 grams of protein a day.

Now that it has been a week, I'm able to consistently keep everything down. The nausea is gone, unless I try to drink too much at once (no more chugging a bottle of water). I drink my 2 protein drinks, black tea, broth, and water. Next week (tomorrow), I can start to add milk products like yogurt, milk/almond milk and heartier soups.

When people ask what it feels like, I say it's like always being Thanksgiving dinner full. There's little room for extra food. I haven't really felt hungry but I have experienced carb withdrawal. So far, I'm down about 10lbs and happy with my decision overall.
etherbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:07 AM   #6  
I need more coffee.

Down 40.1 pounds now.

Old 08-22-2016, 01:54 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Dixie, 40 lbs since April is good. You are going to surpass your goal of 50# in one year. How long was it before you could start to eat regular food?
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 04:02 AM   #8  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

etherbunny, that was a very interesting read, thank you!

You and DixieAmazon are doing so well!!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:48 AM   #9  
I need more coffee.

Talking

Thanks Carol Sue and Rosinante!

I was eating sorta normal about 5 weeks out. Just adding things gradually. I can eat most anything now although spaghetti sauce can bother me. I now eat 1000 to 1200 calories per day with about 50 to 75 grams of carbohydrates.

Started walking on Memorial day and have gone from .75 miles 3 times a week to 2 miles 6 days a week.

I figure if I spent the money on the balloon it is my JOB to lose the weight. The balloon is a tool and like any tool you can use it the right way or the wrong way.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:23 AM   #10  

My next question is, how long do you keep this balloon?

Good job on increasing your walking so much in so short a time period!
Old 10-25-2016, 05:13 PM   #11  
I need more coffee.

I get my balloon out tomorrow and have lost 47 pounds. Things slowed down when there was an unexpected death in the family and there was last minute travel, but I didn't gain.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:50 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieAmazon View Post
I get my balloon out tomorrow and have lost 47 pounds. Things slowed down when there was an unexpected death in the family and there was last minute travel, but I didn't gain.
That's encouraging and I hope you continue to do well!
1lovey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:50 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
My next question is, how long do you keep this balloon?

Good job on increasing your walking so much in so short a time period!
6 months
1lovey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 01:52 PM   #14  

I hope you continue to do well. It sounds like it is left in long enough for you to develop new habits, then hope to continue on with them.

Good luck!
Old 01-13-2017, 07:54 PM   #15  

Default keeping it off after balloon

i guess since its new no one can say about keeping weight off after balloon removed
saltyj222 is offline   Reply With Quote