Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-10-2015, 12:22 AM   #1  

Default Feeling trapped + weight gain

5'7 female, mostly sedentary.

I started out at 218 pounds 1.5 months ago. Lost weight until I hit 209 then I stayed there for about 1.5 weeks. Finally dropped to 205 but it lasted only a couple days and now I'm back at 208 and its been there all week. I eat 1200-1300 calories, plus or minus 150 calories in either direction (for maybe some miscalculation in calories). As of this week I started making sure I hit at least 6000 steps and 10 pushups. Besides that no other exersise. I eat a semi-low carb diet (can't seem to stop eating fruit!!), zero soda, desserts (it's fruit now) or refined grains.
Tomorrow I plan to either hit 10000 steps or run for 15-20 minutes (maybe both, we'll see)

My BMR says I burn 1750 calories at rest and all the calorie calculators say I should eat around 1300-1500, but these seem to all vare wildly. I step on the scale at least 1x a day for my nutritionist (I'm in a weight loss program by the Veterans Affairs) and she didn't have any advise for me on why I haven't loss weight except telling me that I'm doing a great job (what?!!?)

I'm willing to go vegatarian in hopes that maybe I'm eating too much fat, but really my issue is is that at first I was losing 4 pounds a week and now I'm not at all or I'm gaining weight. I weigh myself after lunch but before dinner, same time every day.

Any advise or insight on why this failing for me?
mcKempt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 07:37 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 249.2/see ticker/125

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Oh! Hi!

First...Breathe! I can tell you first hand that stressing about it can actually be the cause the you are not losing scale weight (water weight retention).

You do not need to be so drastic, nor cut your calories so low. Sometimes, it works for a few weeks then you are wildly hungry and over eat for a few week and the cycle continues. You could pick a more reasonable calorie target and still account for miscalculations. It's up to you but it may be more comfortable for you.

Calculators are all over the place because there is no exact number for any of us. TDEE (total Daily Energy Expenditure) fluctuates every day. We can get close and that's all the calculators can do.

Focus on the things that you can do every day to get better. Walking, pushups...those are great things to do!!! Kudos!!!! Make that a goal rather than a number on the scale.

Healthy eating is fantastic...your body will thank you for the nutrients but save something for yourself...a treat or a special occasion...it will make the journey bearable. Real life happens.

Honestly, the scale will move when you don't stress about it. (Speaking from so much experience here...I totally get you). Try weighing monthly? That way you are focused on things you can control (lifestyle...getting in more steps, eating more veggies, etc and not on a number than can dictate your mood and actions).

Big hug from me.....you're doing great. Hang in there.

Last edited by kmac1196; 10-10-2015 at 07:39 AM. Reason: edited to add: no matter how aggressive I got, I average .6 lbs per week (that's point six).I'm still down 75.
kmac1196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 08:37 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 167/130/120

Height: 5'3

I had the same problem as you so I tried raising my calories to 1500-1600 and started losing again. I discovered that the best way for me is to alternate, so one day I'll have 1300, the next 1600, etc.
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 10:34 AM   #4  
it's always something

Six weeks ago you weighed 218, today you weigh 208. 10 pounds in 6 weeks is great! Don't be so hard on yourself, you are off to a good start

Weight fluctuates for a wide range of reasons, some of which have nothing to do with our fat. Water weight, not 'going' as often, etc. You mentioned losing 4 pounds the first week and most people do lose a lot more at the beginning of a diet. However, it's not usually fat loss, but a drop in water weight as we change our eating habits. Water can return, even if you continue to burn fat.

Those calorie calculators are not much more than entertainment. Our bodies are very unique, and we all react differently to activity and types of foods. The only way to find out how many calories your own body needs would be to go to a university or hospital that can test you. The easiest, and most affordable way is trial and error. Start out at a higher amount, and see what happens. Drop a little the next week if necessary. The goal for most people is 1 to 2 pounds per week, because this rate is more sustainable and it's most likely fat loss, and many people find that it's easier to maintain weight after losing it slower. Keeping it off can be harder than losing it.

Fruit is great! As long as it's whole fruit, not just juice - or dried and calorie dense. I always eat fruit for dessert or snacks. I choose the darkest fruits because they are usually higher in antioxidants, etc, which I believe are very important for my body. I load up on veggies for the same reason.

What else are you eating? That might be a clue. Do you eat a lot of fresh vegetables? Or do you eat processed foods, such as frozen dinners?
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 03:11 PM   #5  

I eat a lot of fresh veggies (not frozen, but I still have some frozen) and processed meats. Trying to stop eating bacon and sausage but I'm still in my calorie goals when I do. Fresh fruits (raw, not juice). I drink coffee with unsweetened almond milk, low-carb non-fat milk (If you have a Kroger/Smiths, their carbmaster milk tastes better than regular!!), and water. Sometimes I'll treat myself to unsweetened or lightly sweetened tea.

On weekdays I eat at my campus grille and get a salad with carrots, eggs, cheese, cucumbers, and 2 tbsp of ranch. Either a small soup or a large fruit cup, and coffee to drink.

Dinners are usually take-out and a little hard to track. Nothing fried, small or medium, no breads (it's mostly white anyways out there) and it's usually a salad.

I know a lot of those calculators are incorrect, I was trying to see if maybe I should get tested for my correct BMR. I got free healthcare.

Oh, I failed to add that I take medication (Risperadone) that is known to increase weight. I think it increases appitite, though. So I don't think it matters as long as I'm restricting calories?

I will try increasing my intake by 100 calories to see if I'm eating too little.

Thanks guys!!
mcKempt is offline   Reply With Quote