General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-07-2015, 05:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 229/172/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Anything else to check with the doctor for...

Hello,

My extremely slow weight loss has triggered me into writing this. Although not far into it, I have been exercising religiously for the past 1 month and my weight loss has been extremely slow. At the outset, in week 1, I did lose 2 lbs which got me all excited. But then again after that 1st week, I have been losing at the rate of 1 lb every 10 - 12 days! I have been eating quite right and dieting (consuming close to 1200 Calories a day) and exercising about 300 - 400 Calories a day 6 times a week. So far I have lost no more than 3.5 lbs - although this sounds reasonable for a month's accomplishment, if you carefully consider it, it is not. That is, 2 lbs in the 1st one week, then mere 1.5 lbs for the remaining 22 days! Which is slow...

I am 43 (will be 44 soon) and I'm seriously doubting if there are any harmonal changes that are hampering the weight loss efforts... What makes me think so is the fact that, offlate, for the past 1 yr my periods have always been very painful. I run into intermittent pain every now and then for full 2 days and consume close to 7 doses of Midol or Pamprin for pain relief. This has never been the case with me and this is why I think there might be some harmonal changes.

Now the reason I brought this up here, is to ask ladies if they had any of the above symptoms and if so, any other pointer(s) to check with the doctor for? I'm due for a check-up with my PCP on 13th October and I'm going to bring the above to her attention and ask for her advice.

If there any other pointers to look into, I will be glad to hear about them.

Many thanks.
BigNomore71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:08 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 257/230.0/156

Height: 5' 8"

NoMore: When was the last time you had a complete thyroid panel run? Have that checked, especially if your periods are getting wonky but not perimenopausal wonky (which could be the case too). Make sure they do a TSH/T3/T4 and thyroglobulin which is usually two vials of blood. Do they track your A1C at all? Beyond that, I don't know what other areas to check besides the standard ones.

One of the things I have been finding, as we are close in age - my scale hasn't been moving as much as it used to in my 30s. I have been measuring myself weekly and I am actually loosing inches instead of pounds. Maybe this is an area for you to keep track off to boost your confidence that indeed the rest will follow and you are moving things off. I keep a little book and measure my usuals: bust, waist and hips. But I also add on both upper arms, thighs, chest (the area that the bra band sits) and calves. Sounds kooky, but I have noticed some changes to those odd places, and that can be a big incentive to see those numbers go down as well. People on here have reminded me that indeed you may be working on the fat turning into muscle and it just takes a bit of time.
lemonthyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:17 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 229/172/150

Height: 5'5"

Lemon,

Thank you for the good advice. I'm low on Thyroid production (hypothyroid) which is why I will be following up with the dr next week. I am not sure if the doctor (there was a previous one to this dr who I used to see until she ran out of network) checked all aspects of my thyroid! I am going to mention all that you stated to this new doctor.

Oh yes, the inches part... I wear tight blouses and up until now they feel the same but I will make it a point to measure and take a note on them now and then. Thanks.
BigNomore71 is offline   Reply With Quote