General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:15 PM   #1  

Default Blood pressure question?

I have border line high blood pressure my doctor told me he would give me some time to try and reduce it by diet, I am extremely obese. It is 140/94 most days but every time I start my diet it goes way us then it scares me so I stop my diet and within 3 days back to 140/90s. I was online(not best place) and I found out that sometimes when someone my weight diets the first few days your pressure will be elevated due to your body releasing sodium it has stored. I also read that if you eat too little this can also happen.

My question is has this ever happened to any of you members or have you ever heard of it.

Thanks
canadacatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 07:25 PM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

140/94 is not the end of the world but it is a wake up call to change your diet and exercise now or you will be on medication. I hit that and had to go on meds after ignoring the advice of my doctor and not changing my lifestyle.

Don't use temporary blood pressure fluctuations to excuse making bad dietary and lifestyle choices. It has to go much higher, into nose bleed territory, and consistently to be a threat to your immediate health.

So take the warning. Stick to a healthy diet and exercise, ignore the temporary variations in BP unless they go crazy and your BP will come down and hopefully you will never need to go on meds.

I have been off of mine and cholesterol meds for well over a year now. But I would rather have not gone on them in the first place.

And insist on using an over-sized cuff. With a normal one I could flinch and make that sucker read a reading through the roof!

Last edited by IanG; 10-04-2015 at 07:30 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:04 PM   #3  

So if the cuff is too tight might show a higher reading is that what your saying. Thanks
Old 10-04-2015, 08:45 PM   #4  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Well, that's part of it yes. I could bust a small cuff over 200+! Which was not an accurate reading.

Last edited by IanG; 10-04-2015 at 08:46 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:55 PM   #5  

Mine is tight maybe I need buy a bigger one.