General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:25 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Intuitive Eating Support Thread

Hello Intuitive Eaters and welcome to our ongoing support thread!

Welcome to all newbies to Intuitive Eating! If you're new to this concept have no fear, we are all here to support each other as we continue to learn and explore the principles of IE and learn how to eat when we're hungry and stop when we're full. Here is an explanation of IE taken straight from the Intuitive Eating website run by the authors of "Intuitive Eating"

What is Intuitive Eating?

Intuitive eating is an approach that teaches you how to create a healthy relationship with your food, mind, and body--where you ultimately become the expert of your own body. You learn how to distinguish between physical and emotional feelings, and gain a sense of body wisdom. It's also a process of making peace with food---so that you no longer have constant "food worry" thoughts. It's knowing that your health and your worth as a person do not change, because you ate a food that you had labeled as "bad" or "fattening”. 

The underlying premise of Intuitive Eating is that you will learn to respond to your inner body cues, because you were born with all the wisdom you need for eating intuitively. On the surface, this may sound simplistic, but it is rather complex. This inner wisdom is often clouded by years of dieting and food myths that abound in the culture. For example, “Eat when you're hungry and stop when you're full” may sound like basic common sense, but when you have a history of chronic dieting or of following rigid “healthy” rules about eating, it can be quite difficult. To be able to ultimately return to your inborn Intuitive Eater, a number of things need to be in place—most importantly, the ability to trust yourself! Here is a summary of the 10 principles of Intuitive Eating, from our book, Intuitive Eating, 2nd ed, 2003. With these principles, comes a world of satisfying eating and a sense of freedom that can be exhilarating!

Intuitive Eating Principles

1. Reject the Diet Mentality. Throw out the diet books and magazine articles that offer you false hope of losing weight quickly, easily, and permanently. Get angry at the lies that have led you to feel as if you were a failure every time a new diet stopped working and you gained back all of the weight. If you allow even one small hope to linger that a new and better diet might be lurking around the corner, it will prevent you from being free to rediscover Intuitive Eating.
2. Honor Your Hunger. Keep your body biologically fed with adequate energy and carbohydrates. Otherwise you can trigger a primal drive to overeat. Once you reach the moment of excessive hunger, all intentions of moderate, conscious eating are fleeting and irrelevant. Learning to honor this first biological signal sets the stage for re-building trust with yourself and food.
3. Make Peace with Food. Call a truce, stop the food fight! Give yourself unconditional permission to eat. If you tell yourself that you can't or shouldn't have a particular food, it can lead to intense feelings of deprivation that build into uncontrollable cravings and, often, bingeing When you finally “give-in” to your forbidden food, eating will be experienced with such intensity, it usually results in Last Supper overeating, and overwhelming guilt.
4. Challenge the Food Police. Scream a loud "NO" to thoughts in your head that declare you're "good" for eating under 1000 calories or "bad" because you ate a piece of chocolate cake. The Food Police monitor the unreasonable rules that dieting has created . The police station is housed deep in your psyche, and its loud speaker shouts negative barbs, hopeless phrases, and guilt-provoking indictments. Chasing the Food Police away is a critical step in returning to Intuitive Eating.
5. Respect Your Fullness. Listen for the body signals that tell you that you are no longer hungry. Observe the signs that show that you're comfortably full. Pause in the middle of a meal or food and ask yourself how the food tastes, and what is your current fullness level?
6. Discover the Satisfaction Factor. The Japanese have the wisdom to promote pleasure as one of their goals of healthy living In our fury to be thin and healthy, we often overlook one of the most basic gifts of existence--the pleasure and satisfaction that can be found in the eating experience. When you eat what you really want, in an environment that is inviting and conducive, the pleasure you derive will be a powerful force in helping you feel satisfied and content. By providing this experience for yourself, you will find that it takes much less food to decide you've had "enough".
7. Honor Your Feelings Without Using Food. Find ways to comfort , nurture, distract, and resolve your issues without using food. Anxiety, loneliness, boredom, anger are emotions we all experience throughout life. Each has its own trigger, and each has its own appeasement. Food won't fix any of these feelings. It may comfort for the short term, distract from the pain, or even numb you into a food hangover. But food won't solve the problem. If anything, eating for an emotional hunger will only make you feel worse in the long run. You'll ultimately have to deal with the source of the emotion, as well as the discomfort of overeating.
8. Respect Your Body. Accept your genetic blueprint. Just as a person with a shoe size of eight would not expect to realistically squeeze into a size six, it is equally as futile (and uncomfortable) to have the same expectation with body size. But mostly, respect your body, so you can feel better about who you are. It's hard to reject the diet mentality if you are unrealistic and overly critical about your body shape.
9. Exercise--Feel the Difference. Forget militant exercise. Just get active and feel the difference. Shift your focus to how it feels to move your body, rather than the calorie burning effect of exercise. If you focus on how you feel from working out, such as energized, it can make the difference between rolling out of bed for a brisk morning walk or hitting the snooze alarm. If when you wake up, your only goal is to lose weight, it's usually not a motivating factor in that moment of time.
10. Honor Your Health--Gentle Nutrition. Make food choices that honor your health and tastebuds while making you feel well. Remember that you don't have to eat a perfect diet to be healthy. You will not suddenly get a nutrient deficiency or gain weight from one snack, one meal, or one day of eating. It's what you eat consistently over time that matters, progress not perfection is what counts.

Last edited by Palestrina; 06-27-2015 at 09:26 AM.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 01:34 PM   #2  
Hungry for Health! (-:

S/C/G: 141/108.8/BMI above 18.49

Height: 5'2"

Love the principle of "honoring your health"! Also, #7 is a biggie for me:

7. Honor Your Feelings Without Using Food. Find ways to comfort , nurture, distract, and resolve your issues without using food. Anxiety, loneliness, boredom, anger are emotions we all experience throughout life. Each has its own trigger, and each has its own appeasement. Food won't fix any of these feelings. It may comfort for the short term, distract from the pain, or even numb you into a food hangover. But food won't solve the problem. If anything, eating for an emotional hunger will only make you feel worse in the long run. You'll ultimately have to deal with the source of the emotion, as well as the discomfort of overeating.

Last edited by HungerWerks; 06-27-2015 at 01:36 PM.
HungerWerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 05:05 PM   #3  

Love the new support thread and post Palestrina, thanks!

I have probably been working on #7 for 2 years now. Like really working. I have come so far with that I can hardly believe it. Yesterday I was annoyed at the kids, frustrated with my day, and tired. After they went to bed my old thought pattern would usually be ice cream! Yesterday I thought, "I can't wait to get out and walk! I really need it. It will really make me feel better." then I realized what I had thought and I considered my old coping strategy of ice cream but I wasn't hungry and it didn't sound good. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how I finally started to get to this point. White knuckling it to just not eat when I felt upset never worked. I did a lot of emotional work and have even changed things in my life, such as asking for help when I need it and asserting my wants and needs with my husband. Also been getting in touch with buried anger. It's been hard but made a huge difference.

The next really big challenge for me is mindful /slower eating and stopping before I'm stuffed. I think these two things go hand in hand. Im not sure why it is so hard to eat slowly and mindfully. It feels like torture to me. It also makes me feel really anxious like I need to be doing something else and hurry up and eat. So that is my thing I'm working on right now. Today I successfully ate my lunch slowly and peacefully. I noticed that I stopped and felt full much sooner than I normally would just because I was taking my time and not reading and wolfing my food which has been my usual way of eating and felt almost impossible to change. But I think I'm ready to make it happen.

Last edited by Pinkhippie; 06-27-2015 at 05:08 PM.
Pinkhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 05:41 PM   #4  

It's great we're all reflecting on the principles. We all have things that are easier and things that are harder. Pinkhippie, mindful eating is my favorite part of IE, it didn't come easy at first but I quickly succumbed to the joy of it. Because that's what it is, it's joyful me time. It sounds to me that you may have some negative emotions tied up with eating, maybe a little guilt? Maybe you feel that eating is not important and you're minimizing the pleasure and respite it can bring. For those of us who have created a lot of stress around food it's understandable that we want to separate ourselves from the pressures of eating. Perhaps you're separating yourself because you think you shouldn't be enjoying it, that it's frivolous or invalid.

Gosh I'd love to watch people really enjoy themselves eating food, on tv! I watch the real housewives, sex and the city and other shows like that and when it comes to the dinner scenes nobody's eating. Nobody. It's like food is just a prop. I'd love to watch a scene where a woman is sitting and eating her meal and enjoying herself. We need that.

I don't mean to speculate on you specifically Pinkhippie, just trying to see if I can hit on any questions you haven't asked yourself yet. I may be completely wrong.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:22 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palestrina View Post
It's great we're all reflecting on the principles. We all have things that are easier and things that are harder. Pinkhippie, mindful eating is my favorite part of IE, it didn't come easy at first but I quickly succumbed to the joy of it. Because that's what it is, it's joyful me time. It sounds to me that you may have some negative emotions tied up with eating, maybe a little guilt? Maybe you feel that eating is not important and you're minimizing the pleasure and respite it can bring. For those of us who have created a lot of stress around food it's understandable that we want to separate ourselves from the pressures of eating. Perhaps you're separating yourself because you think you shouldn't be enjoying it, that it's frivolous or invalid.

Gosh I'd love to watch people really enjoy themselves eating food, on tv! I watch the real housewives, sex and the city and other shows like that and when it comes to the dinner scenes nobody's eating. Nobody. It's like food is just a prop. I'd love to watch a scene where a woman is sitting and eating her meal and enjoying herself. We need that.

I don't mean to speculate on you specifically Pinkhippie, just trying to see if I can hit on any questions you haven't asked yourself yet. I may be completely wrong.
By all means, feel free to speculate. That is one of the values of a support group like this, sometimes people on the "outside" can see what we cannot. I welcome any input.

I did notice a slight feeling of guilt while I was eating slowly. In my head was pretty much this litany. " I don't have time to eat this slowly, I have things I should be doing, the kids are going to need something in the next five minutes, this is taking too long, etc..." Usually I eat my dinner faster than anyone else and then I jump up and start doing the dishes and packing away leftovers. My husband does a lot of the dinner dishes and cleans the kitchen after dinner, but I try to help him by doing some dishes and putting away leftovers before he can. I USED to be one of the slowest eaters in my group of friends and with my husband. Kids have changed me. I think I always feel like I don't " do enough". I also get really mad when Im trying to relax and eat slowly and a kid comes to harass me or they need something so Im trying to get my eating done as quickly as possible.

So, I think my problem may be two fold. 1. I feel like I don't really deserve to sit and eat slowly, I still have negative feelings about food and I do feel guilty, therefore I distract myself by reading a book and eating as quickly as possible, and 2. Im anxious that while I am trying to eat mindfully, a child will come and stress me out.

Next time I sit down to eat, I am going to focus on what I am feeling and thinking to try to be more aware of what is really going on with me and food. Thanks for your thoughts Palestrina, they were helpful.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:56 AM   #6  
Hungry for Health! (-:

S/C/G: 141/108.8/BMI above 18.49

Height: 5'2"

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkhippie View Post
Love the new support thread and post Palestrina, thanks!

I have probably been working on #7 for 2 years now. Like really working. I have come so far with that I can hardly believe it. Yesterday I was annoyed at the kids, frustrated with my day, and tired. After they went to bed my old thought pattern would usually be ice cream! Yesterday I thought, "I can't wait to get out and walk! I really need it. It will really make me feel better." then I realized what I had thought and I considered my old coping strategy of ice cream but I wasn't hungry and it didn't sound good. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how I finally started to get to this point. White knuckling it to just not eat when I felt upset never worked. I did a lot of emotional work and have even changed things in my life, such as asking for help when I need it and asserting my wants and needs with my husband. Also been getting in touch with buried anger. It's been hard but made a huge difference.
I'm like you in that I'm not sure when my mindset changed. But I've purposely changed "I'm feeling stressed out/bored/happy/sad/angry - must eat now!" to "Be in the moment - what are you feeling/thinking, and what might be a good response?" So, that's that mindfulness you're speaking of, below.

Part of it is to do something that will help me, or at least not hurt or hinder me, in the long run. Sometimes eating helps me - our bodies need food, after all. Sometimes making that bunch of papers on my desk disappear is the most helpful response. Or dancing with a cat, or rubbing my husband's shoulders.

It really is a case-by-case basis, and I've realized there are a lot more choices than just eating! Some of these things seem so obvious, but I can't beat myself up for not realizing them before.

Quote:
The next really big challenge for me is mindful /slower eating and stopping before I'm stuffed. I think these two things go hand in hand. Im not sure why it is so hard to eat slowly and mindfully. It feels like torture to me. It also makes me feel really anxious like I need to be doing something else and hurry up and eat. So that is my thing I'm working on right now. Today I successfully ate my lunch slowly and peacefully. I noticed that I stopped and felt full much sooner than I normally would just because I was taking my time and not reading and wolfing my food which has been my usual way of eating and felt almost impossible to change. But I think I'm ready to make it happen.
Congrats on that. It sounds like a real milestone! As far as the reading goes, I've always read when I eat. I actually will not eat if I don't have something to read! But, for me, I think it's akin to what Palestrina is talking about in her comment above: Reading helps me to enjoy the food, and slow down and savor it. So it's different for everyone. That's what makes life interesting!
HungerWerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:36 AM   #7  

Quote:
White knuckling it to just not eat when I felt upset never worked. I did a lot of emotional work and have even changed things in my life, such as asking for help when I need it and asserting my wants and needs with my husband. Also been getting in touch with buried anger. It's been hard but made a huge difference.
This is what I'm just starting to find out. It's funny because this is (in my experience) an issue that is unique to food. I'm a recovering alcoholic and I can go just fine without a drink no matter what happens. With food, however, I find that I have to really just roll with the punches and do my best to nurture and soothe myself when I'm upset. It's probably because you have to eat several times a day to keep on living. I guess if I had to drink just one drink several times a day I'd have to just try my best to take care of myself so it doesn't get out of hand. Abstinence doesn't work for food because you can't abstain from eating.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 02:43 PM   #8  

I am in awe of all the progress I read on this thread. I'm new to IE...totally get it, but in no way putting these principals into practice in a consistent way. So, I find myself asking, what's the one thing that could change the tide for me...not fix it all, just get things moving in the right direction? I know food what makes me feel satisfied and healthy and how much ...don't always do it though. Which tells me the "why" is probably my biggest challenge. Can someone comment on how they practice IE to deal with the "why" in real life? Do you try to logic your way out of the fridge? Do you evaluate the reasons post-binge in hopes of doing better next time? My knuckles are raw from all the attempts and failures at white-knuckling it!
irishbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:56 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishbabe View Post
I am in awe of all the progress I read on this thread. I'm new to IE...totally get it, but in no way putting these principals into practice in a consistent way. So, I find myself asking, what's the one thing that could change the tide for me...not fix it all, just get things moving in the right direction? I know food what makes me feel satisfied and healthy and how much ...don't always do it though. Which tells me the "why" is probably my biggest challenge. Can someone comment on how they practice IE to deal with the "why" in real life? Do you try to logic your way out of the fridge? Do you evaluate the reasons post-binge in hopes of doing better next time? My knuckles are raw from all the attempts and failures at white-knuckling it!
White knuckling does not work. IE is overwhelming at first and not everyone starts in the same place. It's hard to reject the diet mentality, and even futile to think of the whys. If you have arrived at IE there is only one reason - you're at a loss with diets, you have come to realize that they all do not work and you're ready for something else, something more realistic.

Each of us has gone about IE in various ways, we find our in wherever we can. I don't know what the right start is for you. Some people start by stocking their food with lots and lots of forbidden "bad foods" (carbs, sugar, cookies, junk, chips, fast food, whatever is your supposed trigger food while on a diet). Others try to find out what real hunger feels like. Others try to practice mindful eating.

For me my start came when I didn't realize what "real hunger" felt like. I knew I was always hungry and always eating. But surely a person cannot be always hungry so I started using the hunger scale to asses. Here is a typical hunger scale:

1. Famished, Irritable
2. Very hungry
3. Hungry
4. Slight hunger
5. Neutral
6. Appetite goes away
7. Satisfied
8. Full
9. Overly full, stuffed
10. Sick, discomfort

So I made a chart and wrote down the time, the food, the hunger level before I ate and after I ate, and any feelings/comments/assessments that went along with the eating experience. I did objectively, not judgementally and over time I got to underestand my hunger patterns.

But as I started that I realized I could not differentiate between real hunger and mouth hunger. So I did something drastic - I went several several hours without eating. I panicked when I felt my stomach grumble but I let it happen and observe all the feelings that came along with it. I had to bathe myself in real hunger in order to understand it physically, like immersion therapy. I only did this for about 10days maybe. After that it became much easier to understand when real hunger was coming on.

Last edited by Palestrina; 06-29-2015 at 03:57 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:36 AM   #10  

Irishbabe,

I'm not sure what you're asking for. Just eat. If you've been restricting your body is probably going to want to make up for it by eating more than you're comfortable with. Just go with it and try, like Palestrina said, to observe your behavior objectively and without judgment. Keeping a journal will help you recognize patterns. If you're afraid of doing this then ask yourself why. Are you afraid to gain weight? The surest way to gain weight is to keep restricting yourself. Stop the food fight. Let yourself eat. Whenever I get off a diet and start IE again I eat a lot for a few days, then it tapers off as my body realizes that it will get enough.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:16 PM   #11  
Proverbs 31:10-31

S/C/G: 200/146/120

Height: 5'1"

Hey, I really want to practice and get into a mode of eating that's more intuitive...I'm getting close to goal and while I've learned a lot from calorie counting about portion size, I don't want to do that forever. I think intuitive eating is ultimately what we all want to strive for, and I think I'm much better at understanding my hunger signals and not over-eating from calorie counting. But I think IE isn't something I can just magically start at maintainence.

I've already spent the last week relaxing with the counting, just sort of going with the flow, but I want to all out just stop calorie counting for a few days.

So here is my idea... The husband and I are going on vacation for a week tomorrow, and I was thinking of trying, just for the week, to eat more intuitively and by my hunger signals. No calorie counting at all. I already don't believe in "bad" foods or cheats, I just eat what I want and account for it (though seeing my choices written out does keep me from going treat crazy. Now it's one brownie or three cookies instead of five to ten. There's more Accountability) Vacation might be a bad way to start, but we are actually bringing our own food for most of it, all fresh stuff in a cooler, and only going out for one meal a day. I don't want this trip to be "permission to over indulge". But, I don't need " permission" to eat food and try new restaurants. I just want to listen to my body. I figure if I fall back into old habits of over indulging, I can't do too much damage to my body in a week.

For a bit of history, I am fortunately not an emotional eater. I was over eating before out of ignorance and just being really unaware of my hunger signals. I didn't drink enough and I had little self control with my favourite foods, maybe cause eating was more regimented growing up. My "diet" currently doesn't eliminate anything from me... Its just shuffled around to get more good stuff like veggies and protiens and less sweets.

Those of you more skilled in IE have any thoughts or ideas on this matter? I'd appreciate it

Last edited by SenseAndSensibility; 06-30-2015 at 06:31 PM.
SenseAndSensibility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:12 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungerWerks View Post
I'm like you in that I'm not sure when my mindset changed. But I've purposely changed "I'm feeling stressed out/bored/happy/sad/angry - must eat now!" to "Be in the moment - what are you feeling/thinking, and what might be a good response?" So, that's that mindfulness you're speaking of, below.

Part of it is to do something that will help me, or at least not hurt or hinder me, in the long run. Sometimes eating helps me - our bodies need food, after all. Sometimes making that bunch of papers on my desk disappear is the most helpful response. Or dancing with a cat, or rubbing my husband's shoulders.

It really is a case-by-case basis, and I've realized there are a lot more choices than just eating! Some of these things seem so obvious, but I can't beat myself up for not realizing them before.

Congrats on that. It sounds like a real milestone! As far as the reading goes, I've always read when I eat. I actually will not eat if I don't have something to read! But, for me, I think it's akin to what Palestrina is talking about in her comment above: Reading helps me to enjoy the food, and slow down and savor it. So it's different for everyone. That's what makes life interesting!
Thank you! Sometimes because old habits are hard to break, I will finish chewing and push my food away and THEN read. It gives me a nice mid point to see if Im close to full, gives my body more time to realize it has had food and I still get to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
This is what I'm just starting to find out. It's funny because this is (in my experience) an issue that is unique to food. I'm a recovering alcoholic and I can go just fine without a drink no matter what happens. With food, however, I find that I have to really just roll with the punches and do my best to nurture and soothe myself when I'm upset. It's probably because you have to eat several times a day to keep on living. I guess if I had to drink just one drink several times a day I'd have to just try my best to take care of myself so it doesn't get out of hand. Abstinence doesn't work for food because you can't abstain from eating.
I know just what you mean Locke. Abstinence defintely doesn't work with food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishbabe View Post
Have you read overcoming overeating? That is the book that really sparked it for me. I think it also depends on where you are arriving from. Are you arriving from restrictive dieting or compulsive free for all eating or veering wildly between each? I think for me I first worked on accepting my body just as it was, because I realized my body thoughts really made a difference on what and how much I ate. Then I worked on like Palestrina said, REALLY feeling hunger. I think that is a really important step because until I did that, I didn't even know what hunger felt like. Then I legalized all foods. And then I did a lot of emotional eating work. I found some books at the library that were like workshops and I did all the exercises, and I think that really helped. I started becoming more aware of my emotional triggers and the book that really helped me because I think I read it at the right time was Eating in the LIght of the Moon. It helped me put together everything I had been working on. But for me, seriously, reading is what helped me. I have read SO many books on IE. Overcoming Overeating, Thinside out, Beyond Chocolate, the original IE book, Emotional eating books, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenseAndSensibility View Post
Hey, I really want to practice and get into a mode of eating that's more intuitive...I'm getting close to goal and while I've learned a lot from calorie counting about portion size, I don't want to do that forever. I think intuitive eating is ultimately what we all want to strive for, and I think I'm much better at understanding my hunger signals and not over-eating from calorie counting. But I think IE isn't something I can just magically start at maintainence.

I've already spent the last week relaxing with the counting, just sort of going with the flow, but I want to all out just stop calorie counting for a few days.

So here is my idea... The husband and I are going on vacation for a week tomorrow, and I was thinking of trying, just for the week, to eat more intuitively and by my hunger signals. No calorie counting at all. I already don't believe in "bad" foods or cheats, I just eat what I want and account for it (though seeing my choices written out does keep me from going treat crazy. Now it's one brownie or three cookies instead of five to ten. There's more Accountability) Vacation might be a bad way to start, but we are actually bringing our own food for most of it, all fresh stuff in a cooler, and only going out for one meal a day. I don't want this trip to be "permission to over indulge". But, I don't need " permission" to eat food and try new restaurants. I just want to listen to my body. I figure if I fall back into old habits of over indulging, I can't do too much damage to my body in a week.

For a bit of history, I am fortunately not an emotional eater. I was over eating before out of ignorance and just being really unaware of my hunger signals. I didn't drink enough and I had little self control with my favourite foods, maybe cause eating was more regimented growing up. My "diet" currently doesn't eliminate anything from me... Its just shuffled around to get more good stuff like veggies and protiens and less sweets.

Those of you more skilled in IE have any thoughts or ideas on this matter? I'd appreciate it
I think its a great idea to try eating according to you hunger and preferences. I think the problem with "trying" it out is if your body and you both know that after vacay it is back on the diet, you might end up going a little hog wild because you might have the last supper mentality. Therefore, you won't get an accurate idea of how IE will work for you. But, that is just a possibility, I don't really know what will happen for you individually. It depends on so many factors. I think at the very least you should try it and observe how you feel during the process. You might learn some valuable things about yourself if you can try to be like a scientist, and not judging if you feel you ate too much or whatever.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:17 PM   #13  

As for me, I continue my mindful eating work.

I have gotten much better at slowing down and savoring my breakfast and lunch but dinner is a much easier time to eat unconsciously and quickly. I realized another reason I don't like eating mindfully and slowly is that it feels like work. There is a part of me that says " I eat to ESCAPE work! Not to create more work, I deserve to zone out and eat and enjoy myself, not work!!" But, this time, I have committed to doing the work and changing my eating habits, so I recognize that yes this is work and it is for the good of myself and my body in the long run so just do it.

I have been more in touch with my body since I started doing it. Im also eating less than I normally would because I recognize my full/satisfied signal before I have eaten my whole bowl or plate.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:58 PM   #14  

Senseandsensibility,

Many people find that when they first start IE they overeat. This is especially true if you have been restricting. IE is a process and what/how you eat when you start isn't necessarily the case for the rest of your life. Going on vacation and blowing your diet is part of the dieting mindset. I do think that any time is a great time to start IE, I just imagine that you might have some difficulty if you find yourself eating more than you're used to or you think is appropriate. If you do I suggest just being objective and understanding that you've been depriving yourself so of course your body is going to want to eat more to begin with.

It usually takes me 1-2 weeks to get over the junk food munchies phase after coming back to IE from a diet. Your hunger levels will eventually even out and you'll find a good balance. You just need to stick to it even if it makes you uncomfortable.

Edit: Check out the "Most skinny people don't eat much." thread on this forum for a good overview of the diet mentality and how it keeps people fat.

Last edited by Locke; 07-01-2015 at 02:01 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:56 PM   #15  

I got fat shamed on the street today. By a jerk guy who yelled some mean things as I walked by. So I was just walking down the street, fresh out of the salon sporting a new haircut and feeling cute. Suddenly I hear someone call out "oh the fat girls think they're cute now? You THINK you're cute girl!" and then laughter ensued and some other stuff between him and his friends that I couldn't make out.

I wasn't upset about the fat part though. I was upset that anyone felt the right to call anything out to a woman whether it be an insult or a cat call. The nerve of someone, a complete stranger, to make any remark to me about my body or my attitude or worse, my self confidence. I can't be angry at a moron, his personality is his own punishment. I'm just shocked and glad that I didn't feel soooooo bad about being called fat that it made me wallow in self pity.

And my new haircut and highlights is super cute!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Senseandsensibility,

Edit: Check out the "Most skinny people don't eat much." thread on this forum for a good overview of the diet mentality and how it keeps people fat.
Oh snap!!