Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 10-24-2005, 07:00 AM   #1  
Mel

Default LWL # 226 Oct 24 - Oct 30

Good Morning LWL (or afternoon to 2F, Rabbit, Silverbirch, and Lieke if she's still there!)

Cold and dark here, hard to get moving these days.
I had a good weekend, but I need to kick it into higher gear. I got a bit sluggish towards the end of the week. How is everyone?

Dashing off for early clients, back later!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 08:45 AM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

Hey Mel and everyone!

Sorry for being MIA from LWL! There just are so many places to post on 3FC that I've been ignoring my ole gang! Although I have been lurking ... But I'm back posting now...

Mel -- I am such a slacker by Friday night that it's screwing up my whole week!! I must get my act in gear also, specially now with the Holidays coming just around the corner !! So let's step it up this week by having a "2" on each and every day of our "Boo Challenge".... And everyone else too who is participating in the HAlloween Challenge....

Rabbit -- Hang in there... I'm happy to see that XH is OUT !! That'll help you and the children get on with your lives...

Today's ToDo List:

Eat clean
Gym, legs and cardio, I'm staying there for 2 hours!
Start cooking for Christmas and get some of the stuff out of the way... I don't bake so I'm starting with meat balls this afternoon...

Well, I'm off to the gym! TTFN
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 10:22 AM   #3  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Ilene... baking for CHRISTMAS! I thought the shops were being overly early (there's isles upon isles of chocolates...) but you really take the (xmas) cake! <- see it's only hallowe'en!

My to do list for today - stop eating! seriously though, mission for today is TO INTRODUCE MY MOTHER TO FREE WEIGHTS! I will have to give her my spare dumbells to get her started!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 12:31 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

2F -- I did not say baking I said cooking , there is a difference . Baking is sweet stuff, candies, cakes, etc... and I do NOT do those anymore. I will be making meatballs and casseroles for the annual family "Eve of Christmas Eve" and am going to freeze them ...

Today did LEGS After legs I tried to skip rope on a bosu ball and did that for 20 minutes I was able to only do 3 skips at a time by the end of the 20 minutes... Then I ran 5k for 35 min. after that spent 20 minutes on the bike... I was at the gym a total of 1hr50mins... close enough to 2 hours I say ... Now I'm off to eat yet AGAIN the protein shake I just had, I think, has gone straight to feed my muscles because I am starving after only 20 minutes of finishing the drink ... I think I'm going to make some tuna patties...
Old 10-24-2005, 07:50 PM   #5  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Hey all. I am visiting your board today. After 11 weeks in I need a change. I am really gonna kick up the weight training (it used to be my fave) and not gonna go as crazy with the cardio. Just wanted to say hi, I think I will be visiting more often. I am totally stoked about getting seriously into lifting. Hope you're all having a great Monday!!!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 08:44 PM   #6  
Mel

Hi Stephanie

Ilene, nyay,nyah, I managed do jump rope four in a row, hehe. I never got past that. I did have most of the gym staring at me tho!

2F-Great idea to introduce your mother to free weights! My mother is 71 and lifts 2-3 times a week For that matter, I suspect I'm old enough to be your mother....

I think I'm catching something. I did a very low energy chest workout, thought about a spinning class, but then did 50 minutes of less challenging cardio on the recumbent bike. My hips and back feel stiff and my stomach feels kinda queasy I cannot get sick! Tomorrow is leg day

I hope everyone is safe and dry from the latest hurricane- it's pouring here, but just good old normal rain.

Mel
Old 10-24-2005, 10:55 PM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel
Ilene, nyay,hyah, I managed do jump rope four in a row, hehe. I never got past that. I did have most of the gym staring at me tho!
The race is ON lady!!
Old 10-25-2005, 06:47 AM   #8  

Hi LWL,

Ilene, Mel - so you start a "skipping ropen on the bosu ball challenge ?"

2F - How is your mum doing with the free weights ?

Yesterday was a very difficult day becaus my husband was moving out in the evening. When I saw the boxes in the hallway I had to cry. My son could not eat his dinner. This evening my husband is picking up some more stuff, but at least he does not expect to be fed so we are spared a rerun of yesterdays ordeal. I have to keep telling myself that it is better that he moves out, so that we can get our lives back in some order but it still is very hard to see a relationship which I thought was a good one end like that after 24 years.

The school holiday is over as well and at last we can go back and rearrange some sort of routine.

have a nice day,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 01:42 PM   #9  

Hi All:
Checking up to see how you are doing rabbit. Miss you at maintence.
Hugs and best wishes as you work through this rough time.
Reg4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 03:52 AM   #10  
aka Superwoman!

NEWSFLASH FROM FRUS - I'm thinner than I thought!

I have just aquired a full length mirror! In my new size 14 (US10) jeans I've got legs and they're THIN!

Mum rocks at squats! She has arthritis in her knees but she can squat deeper than I can! The only thing she had a problem with was single calf raises, so we decided to do doubles. But she reckons it's just her weight that her knee's not happy about lifting in that position. (She's about 210) So I just have to print her a workout schedule and she'll be happy!

We went to Ikea yesterday and spent 5 hours there! Plus all the heaving of boxes and new mattresses and making benches and things - I guess that counts as a workout! I missed kickboxing cos we were waiting so long to pick up my mattress and Mum & Dad's kitchen. But at least it meant that I could build my things!

It's the BIG DINNER tonight, my Mum & Dad meeting DF's Mum and Dad. I'm sure it'll be fine, but they're just different, so we shall have to see! I'm sure everyone will be polite!

Ilene - bosu ball skipping sounds fun

rabbit - glad you'll have a bit of routine back soon

:
Old 10-26-2005, 04:22 AM   #11  

Hi LWL,

Well, XH is OUT!! He came back yesterday evening to pick up some more things and of course we had a fight. I still have a bad time thinking about how he cheated us with his new love, and I told him this is blocking me to behave anyway friendly towards him because she will profit in the end. I am still angry that he took her on holiday in a car and camping gear that is half my property. When he told me that I was hurting his feelings in talking that way I totally exploded.

Later on, he acted like he was doing us a favor to leave us his audio stuff. I told him to take it all out. All the black boxes, the speakers, the speaker stands, everything. He was pretty amazed at that, but I do NOT feel thankfull and I do not WANT to feel thankfull to have his audiostuff around here. I can do with my 20 year old portable system for the time being, and I'll pick up a small set when I want to.

Tonight me and the kids are invited to have dinner with him at his new place. I vow to keep my temper and control myself. As from now, all our arguments can be handled by the therapist.

Apart from that, I actually am feeling MUCH better than I did in the past 2 years. This is not a great time, but it does not make the top 3 in bad times, not by a long chalk. Probabely time to lower the St johns wort (the anti depressant that I take) dosage again. It really is like the more he gets out of here, the happier I get. It is a funny feeling as I thought that we had a great marriage untill recently. Just shows how you can be totally unaware of unhappy situations!!

Gina - glad to see you here. thanks for the hug!

2F - Ooooh, shopping at Ikea! I really love that store. Most of my stuff comes from there. I like their design, I like their pricing and I find shopping for house stuff actually fun if I go there. There is an Ikea near my regular therapist, and I sometimes went there to cheer myself up after a session.

Apart from breaking up things are Ok here. Went to work yesterday and today I spend my day off working at the floor in the attic and generally resting. This remotional stuff gets very tiiring. When the floor is finished and I'm a bit more on my legs I want to start the exercise again.

Have a great day,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 04:59 AM   #12  
aka Superwoman!

Oh his feelings are hurt are they... Poor baby! He maybe shouldda thought of that! Pah! I'm sure you told him all that and more

Ikea was MAD yesterday, I usually do enjoy it, but when you're not just browsing, and actively buying stuff you need then it gets a bit frustrating when they don't have it, or you have to wait for 45 minutes to pick it up from the "external warehouse".

I'm glad you're getting your home gym sorted out! Maybe you should buy a MASSIVE sound system for up there with HUGE speakers and sub woofers and things that will wake the neighbours!
Old 10-26-2005, 10:41 AM   #13  
Cynical RedHead

Hi ladies! I have a question regarding my heartrate while I am lifting. Last night I was doing my weights at home and about 10 minutes in my heart was just racing. I did not think to see exactly how fast it was beating, but it was much faster than normal. I was doing low weight (5-10 pounds) and high reps. (When i am at my gym I try to do heavy weight to failure). I also had this happen the other day at the gym though.

I just started back with the weight-lifting at the beginning of October, and have been lifting 2x/weekly. Does anyone have any ideas as to why my heartrate gets so fast? I do cardio (running or elliptical) at least 5x/weekly, so I am used to aerobic activity.

Thanks for any advice!
FishWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 04:53 PM   #14  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Evenin' all!

Just a quick post to say I'm here. It's half-term here. The Man has had to go to Italy for five days so I'm i/c the Boy, full-time. I've decided that the week's theme is swimming. We had a lovely hour in the pool this morning and I can feel muscles in different places. That's cross-training for you, I suppose!

Rabbit - you are an excellent person in handling this situation. Well done and hugs to the children.

2F - inlaws meet inlaws. Ooer. Do let us know. What did you eat? My parents have not met the outlaws yet. It's been 10 years, and I think it's going to stay like that. I know, I know, I'm an iconoclast. Btw, your mum is brilliant. Good for her with the squats.

Mel, Ilene: what's a bosu ball? (I will google it if I get a chance.) And Ilene, I've been meaning to ask: how's your dad doing?

Fishwoman - welcome! I haven't got any ideas on your heart-rate but a more knowledgeable person will be along soon, I'm sure.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 05:05 PM   #15  
Mel

Fishwoman- I think that knowledgeable person should be your doctor! Of course your heart rate should go up when you lift weights, but if it's going up unusually high for you, go see your doctor! An internet site is no place to misdiagnose possible cardiac problems

Mel