Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-26-2005, 10:35 AM   #1  
Average White Girl

Default How can I weigh so much??

I am wondering if I am making a fuss for nothing...I am five seven. I wear a size 30/32 pants (waist/inseam), size 8-10 women's pants ( not those horrid low rise pants, regular pants) and although I do not have much muscle definition, I do not consider myself to be all that heavy. Like most people, I could benefit from some added exersize and weights, to sculpt and firm the doughyness I do have...the doughyness that many women have.

What I dont' get is that i weigh 160. I don't get it. I've always been this way my entire life. In grade school, I was heavier than the "fattest kid" in school. I could hold him up on a see saw with no effort on my part..I'm not large, I'm just heavy.

If this is muscle, where is it? I know that I shouldn't get hung up on what the scale says, but when every thing I read says I should weigh 135? I've never weighed 135 as long as I can remember!

I've been doing weight watchers since 2002 and went from 220 ( size 14 ) to 145 ( size 6)...I've stayed on plan, but have been stuck for a few months now.

I notice that I tend to binge or have a "bad day" when I think about this too much. Everyone around me is astonished that I weigh as much as I do, even though I don't look like it. However, I feel like such a freak because even though I try to go by how I look and feel, 160 seems so heavy, and it makes any "normal" weight seems so far away in comparison. Am I insane? What is going on here?

Maybe I'm just feeling sorry for myself, but I"ve been spending the last hour online looking at diet pills. I know that it's not healthy, but I'm desperate, and quite possibly for all the wrong reasons.

Thank you for letting me rant.
alteaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 10:40 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Lose the scale!

If you didn't know amount much you weighed, would you be satisfied with how you look? With your clothes size? Your activity levels?

Can you climb stairs without being out of breath, can you bend over and tie your shoes without coming up red faced and out of breath?

How do you feel?

Nobody believes that I weigh 160 pounds either or that I was close to 200 pounds last year and I take that as a compliment.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/b.../aa090200a.htm

The human body is composed of a variety of different tissue types. The so-called 'lean' tissues, such as muscle, bone, and organs are metabolically active, while adipose, or fat tissue, is not.

Because scales can't determine the lean-to-fat ratio of that weight. An individual can be "over-weight" and not "over-fat." A bodybuilder, for example, may be 8% body fat, yet at two hundred and fifty pounds may be considered "over-weight" by a typical height-weight chart. Therefore, these charts are not a good indication of a person's ideal body weight for optimal health, much less for athletic performance.

Chill a little, be excited with what you have accomplished! You've done a great job with your weight loss!

Sarah

Last edited by sarahyu; 10-26-2005 at 10:46 AM.
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 10:44 AM   #3  

Every BODY is different....There is no normal size one. I have gone from 180ish (size 14 - tight) and lost over 30 lbs to 150ish and have only gone down one size to a size 12. I have not been a size 8 for 20 years and I weighed under 120 at that point. Find a point where you feel comfortable in your own body and put the "have to be 135 lbs" way out of your mind. You will go insane trying to live up to everyone elses "average"
patswill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 10:48 AM   #4  

That number on the scale is really not anything to worry about. If you are 5'7" and wear an 8 / 10, you are PERFECTLY NORMAL and not overfat.

Note that I said "overfat" not "overweight."

Body composition is what's important, not weight. We tend to use weight as a measure, though, becuase (a) it's easy to measure, and (b) in most people there is a correspondence between weight and body composition. However, that correspondence just doesn't hold up for a lot of people, and that's where you fit in. Body composition is how much of your body is taken up with fat, and how much is lean weight, and that lean weight is not only muscle but all of your organs, fluids, waste, and bone. I would GUESS that not only do you have some nice solid muscle but nice dense, heavy bones.

To calm your mind, I would recommend getting a serious body composition analysis. Don't just go to a random gym and use one of those hand-held thingys -- find a facility in your area that does a caliper test by a well-trained, experienced technician, or better yet a water tank test. I'm sure that will show you that you have little, if any FAT you should lose.

PLEASE don't get hung up on that weight number, it is only meaningful when used to show up or down movement, not as an absolute measure of health and fitness. Don't worry about what other people think of that number, and don't compare your number to those of other people. It just doesn't matter. When you do that, you're saying that that number is MORE IMPORTANT, more valid somehow, than the evidence of your own eyes. I'm 5'9", and I am currently a size 14 (down from 32), trying to get down to a 12, which is going to be about as low as I can go comfortably. I don't care if I weigh 200 pounds as long as my body is that size. Dig?
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 10:48 AM   #5  

Average White Girl:
I'm 5'7" also and you can see what I weigh, same as you.....When I was younger I weighed alot less, 120-135...and I looked great. But at my age I think I look really ok right now and my goal is 150......
If you never work out, your not carrying muscle. Matter of fact, working out would probably improve the way you look and the way you feel about yourself. 5 pounds of muscle is alot smaller than5 pounds of fat. Why not trying to add some exercise into your life and see if it helps your self image........
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 01:17 PM   #6  
Average White Girl

Wow....! I wrote that post, then went to take a nap. I am so happy with how much great responses I got here in such a short time... I do agree that by working out it will improve how I look and how I feel...so I won't be so prone to see "fat" when I look at the number..yeah , part of it was me feeling sorry for myself today, as well.

Today I've eaten too many waffles (good, warm, easy to make), but I"m just going to count my losses and move on with more optimism. I'm happily married, I have a great family, and that's not going to change even if the scale does...heck, in the last two months I've went from a 32 32 to a 30 ( I usually wear men's pants.)..

Thank you all so much for your help. It's great to know that I'm not alone, that I"m not horrid, but it's not a bad thing or a sign of weakness to improve on one's image: inside and out.. thank you all very much! Now, I can use that money for Christmas presents, and not on a waste of money pill...I cannot thank you all enough. I"m printing this thing out and keeping it
alteaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 01:50 PM   #7  

Another thing, you must feel very good about going from 220 to 160? I know our numbers are close and I feel really good about how far I've come and I don't feel overweight at all, I'm in the ballpark and it feels GREAT!
You just need to look at this thing in a different light. It sounds like you are already doing that - maybe you just needed that nap.....lol
Star is offline   Reply With Quote