Old 10-24-2005, 03:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Talking Too neat-O

I know a lot of people think the new pyramid thing a bit hokie but for my current food plan it is awesome. They have a place where you can customize and track your food (sort of like Fitday or some of the other programs.)
Right now I'm making sure I get in my veggies and meats/protein. Next week I'm adding dairy.
This is what it looks like for me today (adding in my proposed snack and dinner of course.)
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 12:54 PM   #2  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

That's excellent, Dawnyal! I really like that idea a lot. I wonder why people think it's hokey? You can't argue with the wisdom of their recommendations -- sooooo good for you.
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 01:06 PM   #3  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

I quite like that site too, and I think the pyramid represents a healthy diet to follow.

One note of caution though: I entered my food intake for one day, and it underestimated my kcals by a whopping 407! I went back and double-checked my entries to make sure I hadn't made a mistake, and I hadn't.
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 01:07 PM   #4  
.::Princess::.

S/C/G: 308/288/150

Height: 5'8"

I think I am going to take a look at that for myself. maybe it can help me get back on track!
SnShn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 01:12 PM   #5  

The downside to the site is that you can't really see the calories of each food to see which thing to choose. But right now I'm not counting calories and instead counting portions/sizes and I like how it breaks it down by cups/oz. for me. When I plateau or start gaining then I'll change it up but for right now it's perfect for seeing that I'm meeting my nutrition requirements.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:13 PM   #6  
I climb mountains!

Good points, Fishy and Dawnyal.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:41 PM   #7  
Opulent

I am glad that the food pyramid was revamped and lifestyle guidelines were integrated into the whole thing.

I think that it's pretty balanced and meets many people's needs. Personally though, I eat more veggies, lentils and beans to get my calcium, protein and iron (I don't eat any animal products).

I eat more beans/legumes and less grains to healthfully meet all my nutritional needs. This way, from food alone, I routinely get as much as 400-600% of all the vitamins and minerals I need daily and also exceed my other nutritional needs as well

Keeping track of these things on fitday or other tracking programs is so helpful. I would like to try a different program, because I have had problems finding listings for many of the foods I regularly eat, as apparently vegetables, beans and legumes aren't mainstream enough to make the listings.

Anyone know of any other programs that include a wide variety of whole and natural foods?
Yogini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 02:03 PM   #8  
I climb mountains!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogini
Anyone know of any other programs that include a wide variety of whole and natural foods?
OMG, YES!! This is one of MANY reasons I love DietPower so much.

I know of a number of people who switched to it from FitDay and other programs. It's just wonderful. Do a search on it (with and without space between the two words) and you'll see a great deal of discussion on it. (By me, by Jennifer [teapot] and by Mez, among many others....)

Huge foods dictionary, recipe creation, customizeable exercises, etc.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:06 PM   #9  
Opulent

Thanks It looks like it is worth the small investment
Yogini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 03:09 PM   #10  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessofsarahtolove
This is one of MANY reasons I love DietPower so much.
I really love the sound of this proggie, but...

Quote:
17. Will it work on my computer?

Yes, if:

you're running Windows 98, NT, 2000, ME, or XP. (We do not offer a Mac version, but this could change. [...])
It's sometimes quite chilly here in Macland.
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 03:13 PM   #11  
I climb mountains!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogini
Thanks It looks like it is worth the small investment
When I made that investment, I ordered a Tanita food scale and a Tanita BF scale at the same time and got both rather sizeably discounted, so it helped to offset the 40 bucks. I totally love it! And I love that I can migrate the info between computers, and I love that I don't have to be online to use it, and I love the daily journalling aspect, and I love......Oh never mind.

Man, Fishy, that stinks. I'm sorry!
Old 10-25-2005, 05:06 PM   #12  

Ali--I too am waiting for the mac version. I have a PC at home but I use it so little now and do the bulk of my computing on the Mac at work and we don't have a PC emulator at this time.

I keep checking back and hoping they will make a mac version because I will definitely sign up for diet power then.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:31 AM   #13  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

that's cool.. just one question.. where's the fat?
(and the chocolate too!!! )
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 09:44 AM   #14  

LOL Dana
On the first page it said not to eat over like 250 of extra calories (which would include fats and cookies). I can't remember the exact # of calories.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:44 AM   #15  
I climb mountains!

General dietary recommendations are to limit your fat to 25-30% of your daily calories, with 5% of those being saturated. For weight loss, it's usually recommended to limit your fat% to 20-25% overall -- although for some folks the Mediterranean approach works really well, and that's more at the 30% end -- again, low saturated fat, since most of the fat comes from olive oil. (Yum!)