Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2001, 01:38 AM   #1  

Question Has anybody heard of Mike Thurmond's Body Makeover??

I just saw an infomercial about this program and am wondering if anyone here has tried it. they have a website - www.bodymakeover.com - but it doesn't really give you any info. It looks so wonderful. You fill out a questionairre and determine your own body's metabolism. Then, you customize the diet to your own body's fat burning ability. He includes these picture cards that you pick out your exact body type - and then you customize your exercise according to your specific needs. It's a 6 week program and they claim that you will lose up to 30 pounds. Also included is a maintenance section, audio support tapes, workout video with resistance training bands and a toll free help line.
It (of course) comes with a money back guarantee - but we know all about those It makes sense to me that every body is different, and one plan doesn't work for everyone, but I don't want to out $199. They also will knock off $40 if you agree to appear in the infomercial with your story. I would be so willing to do that if it works!!
I have about 70 pounds to lose. I've tried weight watchers, atkins, cabbage soup, etc. I lose weight but have yet to make those changes stick for the long term I know what I need to do, so why can't I????? *sigh*
Old 08-27-2001, 01:35 PM   #2  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

Hi,

I just happened to glance at you question and I thought I'd let you know that while I've never tried the program (and hadn't even heard of it until a couple weeks ago) but there's a whole bunch of people who are "talking" about it under the "General" section there's a "Diet Plan" thread and in there you'll find lots of discussion about it. Let me know what you think if you ever try it. I'm curious myself.

Elisa
Old 08-28-2001, 11:20 AM   #3  

Thank you for letting me know I did go check out that thread. I'm still debating the purchase, I really do want to try it - just not in very good financial shape at the moment
Old 08-31-2001, 02:30 PM   #4  
Halloween Girl!

Default Michael Thurmond's 6-week body makeover

There is also a program done by a woman in Nashville. The article appears in this week's edition of Woman's World magazine. I took the body type test and it was pretty much on target. She uses the body types of Adrenal, Thyroid (me), Gonadal and Pituitary. If you are curious about a "body type" program, that information is only $1.95 for the magazine. She also has a link to her website (promoting her line of vitamins, of course. I bought mine at KMart. did you know that the "Vitasmart" line at Kmart and Albertson's are also the same as GNC's house brand? The "Vitasmart" line consists of vitamins that are "seconds" -- they may be a little misshapen, but it is the same pill/capsule.

Thurmond's product is based on the ecto, meso, and endomorph typing and the blends that occur between the two. It looks very sound and the ladies that are on it (on the forum mentioned by Elisa) are very dedicated and already having wonderful results.

You might consider splitting the costs with friends (since you may be different types) or checking ebay. They have copies of the program all the time.

Good luck, and bless you for trying something that is sensible. I do Body For Life and work within food allergies and follow the Thyroid body type eating recommendations.

Claire
Old 03-16-2002, 12:35 AM   #5  

Although several companies sell the program, you should know that consumeraffairs.com has complaints of them (or MWI) charging credit cards for things you never ordered AND they do not honor the money back guarantee.
Old 04-08-2002, 07:43 AM   #6  

Thumbs down

Hm, sounds like a classic scam to me. Try finding out if they have been registered and if their method is scientifically proven (by an independant organization, not subsidized. Also try the links on www.quackwatch.com, they have lots of info on this kind of thing (and other)

good luck, Greekgirl
Old 04-10-2002, 11:52 AM   #7  
Simple is Good!

S/C/G: 345/323.6/299

Height: 5'6"

Default Don't order it from them!

If you get it, find one on ebay!!!! Not only are they cheaper, but you have a smaller chance of getting completely screwed over!

I ordered it on March 25, felt a huge burden of guilt for having spent $200 on something that I don't think I can stick to (details about that in a sec). I called later THAT DAY and cancelled it- before they had time to charge me for it, before they had time to process my order, etc.

The girl I spoke to confirmed it was cancelled.

Ok, so, that's great. The next day (3-26) I get an email confirming my order and it told me that it will be shipping too. Well, I figure that they haven't had time to wor the cancellation and I wouldn't worry about it. March 27 I get another email about it! Now, a a normal person might call and confirm it's cancelled, but did I? Nope. I just had faith that it was cancelled.

Then, last week, I get nice little notes on my door saying that UPS is trying to give me a package from them. WHen I finally was home for the UPS man, I told him I had cancelled it. I didn't sign for it, and he took it back.

I then looked on my credit card statement- THEY HAD CHARGED ME FOR IT!

Needless to say, I am mad. I just got off the phone with them AGAIN and she said it was cancelled but it won't be cancelled until they get the package back????

They are scam artists who don't keep their word- don't order it from them!!!!!

Now, they have a message board where people ARE losing weight. I checked it out after I ordered it, and realized that I would have to give up
[list=1][*]Salt[*]Sugar[*]Dairy[/list=1]

What kind of eating plan is this? You have to spend Sunday getting everything ready in the week.

I personally don't have the discipline for it. If you do, go to http://www.bodymakeover.com and Click on chat forum to read the message boards. This way you will get more info about the actual program.
Old 04-10-2002, 02:30 PM   #8  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default F&L

Call your credit card issuer - RIGHT NOW - and start the chargeback process.

Why should you pay credit card interest until the infomercial company decides to credit you?!?

If you haven't done so already - call your bank NOW.

BTW, from what I've read at other forums, Providia has been really sloppy at shipping this product. Last year I was reading where folks were waiting for three months after their card was charged...even after paying extra for Express Shipping. Sheesh...
Old 04-10-2002, 04:08 PM   #9  
Simple is Good!

I was debating about doing that very thing- disputing the charges. When they pay it back they whole will be dropped right?

Thanks!

PS- DON"T ORDER THIS!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!
Old 04-14-2002, 02:22 AM   #10  

If you decide to purchase this program, I suggest you buy it from HSN.com. They will not charge you extra charges and they are great with returns. This program looks allot like the Larry North Slimdown program. I could be wrong but the meal planner looks almost identical to Larry's. Good luck in whatever you choose to do.
Old 04-23-2002, 12:29 PM   #11  
Simple is Good!

Smile An update

Well, I finally got my money back. I still think that it is a waste of money- especially when you can get almost all the information you need for free from the website- but I did finally get the refund I was waiting for from Provida.

If you really want this, find it somewhere else- like ebay. not only will it be cheaper but you won't have to worry about them charging you and not giving the money back.
Old 05-14-2002, 02:03 PM   #12  
Viva la vida loca!

S/C/G: 360/329/297 (second 10%)

Default It's working for me...

I am sorry several of you have either had a bad experience with placing an order or are unsure of what the program is.

I've been on this plan for 3 weeks and have already lost close to 20 pounds. I was on Body For Life until I cracked my wrist and couldn't work out any more. I also took a really hard look at that program and decided it wasn't for me at the present time.

I found the Body Makeover and saved my money until I could afford to make the payments. I would spend the money again.

Any program involves a commitment to change, "cross the abyss", "make the decision", or whatever you choose to call your personal epiphany.

For me, the somatotyping was the missing piece. The foods I eat are helping me lose this unwanted fat and keep my muscle.

The program is restrictive in that they ask that you stay away from salt, dairy, sugar and chemicals in food. You get plenty of calcium from the foods you eat, and it is no different for me now than it was on Body for Life or Larry North -- just the food is a little different for each of the body types.

I don't have reflux anymore and haven't missed the junk I used to love.

Never had a problem with my order, although their processing runs about 48 hours behind schedule; ebay does have some great deals. I couldn't plunk down a lump sum for mine.

So IMHO, the credit card billing people are a scam, not the program itself.

Best of luck!

Claire
Old 07-06-2002, 02:10 AM   #13  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Default Don't agree it's a scam either

I too am on the program. Paid an outrageous amount for expedited shipping ($40) but got the package in 4 days.

Yes, the program is expensive, it takes alot of time, effort and discipline to stick with it. And knowing what I know now, I probably could have gotten most of the information for the same program from the Internet IF I wanted to spend a week on research which I didn't.

Reading through the materials and going through the program, I found many things that made sense to me that I wouldn't have found otherwise. And since the materials were right there where I needed them - including recommended exercises, tips and guides - it was easier to get rolling on it.

I've lost 12 pounds in 3-1/2 weeks - better success than any program I've tried over the last 10 years. The claims of UP TO (fine print) 30 pounds in 6 weeks might be very hard for regular people to achieve unless you have a will of steel and are willing to stick with the most restrictive version of the program.

There's something out there for everyone that works - it all depends on what you want to spend and how much time and effort you want to put into it. Although I don't doubt people's difficulties getting their money back - that's why you use a credit card and let THEM fight with the company.

Don't put down the program because the distributors are stinko in the service area.
Old 07-16-2002, 11:47 PM   #14  

I tried the body make over and it didn't work for me. The things they wanted me to eat for my body type were foods that I didn't like. I was lucky I guess because I did send it back and they did credit my account back the money they had charged me.
Old 08-16-2002, 05:52 PM   #15  

Hmm... my mother recently bought the same package after RECORDING the infomercial so she could keep watching it to be sure she wanted it (lol). It's been about 2 weeks since she bought it and she has lost some weight... but her program is very strict and she has to maintain good discipline. I think this one is for those who have iron wills and are willing to sacrifice a lot of yummy foods to lose weight (even foods that are considered healthy)
Closed Thread