Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-14-2005, 09:38 PM   #1  
Sandra

S/C/G: 230/195.0/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Diet AND Exercise...gee, go figure!

Hi Ladies ~
It used to be I'd do great at dieting and not so great on exercising or great on exercise, not so great on the dieting. Well, these past couple weeks I've concentrated on BOTH and I'm losing weight easier than ever before (a little more than 2 pounds both weeks). I've only lost a total of 4.4 pounds but I feel really good about it and physically feel pretty darn good too. It's amazing that all along I've known to do both together but I still seem somewhat shocked that it's working! hee hee

Have a great day!
OneLastTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 12:32 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 198/150/140

Way to go!! Sounds like you've figured out a winning plan.
lizzbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 08:02 AM   #3  
Mel

Gee, who woulda thunk? Really, congratulations! Keep at it

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 09:11 AM   #4  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Yup . It actually works!

Congrats on bringing the 2 things together!
LovesBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 11:47 PM   #5  
Mom jeans are cool,right?

My exact problem. If I exercise, I am STARVING and can't stop thinking about food until I eat somthing truly satiating (carbs and fats). When I keep my calories down to weightloss range, I am so tired. I can't get energy to exercise, and take a lot of naps. (like I'm trying to sleep through my diet ).

I got a treadmill finally...so I'll give it a try, again. <<<sigh>>>
CoolMom75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 01:50 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 192+,size16/ 164,12/ 150,10

Height: 5'7"

Congratulations on your weight loss so far! Your post is an inspiration to me because I have been exercising steadily and "watching what I eat" for about six weeks now and have not lost a single pound. In fact, at the beginning I may have gained a pound because I was so hungry from exercising! Now I think I need to pay more attention to what I eat and continue the exercising. Thanks for sharing!
sf40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 04:32 PM   #7  

CoolMom and sf40,

Are you eating enough protein? It's key for the repair of tissue (like after exercise) and takes longer to metabolize than any other nutrient so you feel full longer. Also too many carbs can make some people (including me!) sleepy.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:30 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 246/ticker/180

Height: 5'5"

Way to go and congrats on the weight loss! I know what you mean about not sticking to both. Usually I'm great at the exercise but not so great at the food part. On the flip side, if I have a blah day where I decide not to exercise, I usually intentionally eat less since I know I won't be working off any calories. So far, I haven't managed to stick to both at once...lol. I bet the weight loss would double!

Keep up the good work!!!
TatianaHdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 07:28 PM   #9  
Mom jeans are cool,right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesBassets
CoolMom and sf40,

Are you eating enough protein? It's key for the repair of tissue (like after exercise) and takes longer to metabolize than any other nutrient so you feel full longer. Also too many carbs can make some people (including me!) sleepy.

Well, I'm currently not exercising, and on day three of the diet. Yesterday was 25% fat, 59% carbs and 15% protein. I had 21% protein the day before that, when I had eggs for breakfast. I should look up the recommendations.
CoolMom75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 08:50 PM   #10  

Quote:
CoolMom and sf40,

I think that's my problem. In thinking about what I've been eating for the past six weeks, it's been really carb-heavy. I just started tracking my diet a week ago, and noticed I have a tiny amount of protein at lunch, a normal serving at dinner, and all my snacks are carbs -- I eat a lot of plain yogurt mixed with fruit, fruit smoothies, and oatmeal). When I go grocery shopping next, I plan to include more proteins such as eggs, cottage cheese, and lean meats. Thanks!
Old 10-18-2005, 08:57 PM   #11  

I'll tell ya, SF40, you will be AMAZED at the difference more protein will do for you. I have protein at every single meal and ALL of my (5 - 6) snacks a day are usually protein-based -- cottage cheese (like you said), low fat string cheese, walnuts, almonds, protein shakes, hardboiled eggs, etc. It's a fantastic way to make it from one meal to the next without feeling hungry. Plus, it will help you maintain muscle mass while losing fat -- if you don't eat protein while "dieting" you'll lose fat AND muscle, which is no good cuz muscle is metabolically active and burns calories even when your just sitting around. My trainer wants me to aim for 140 grams of protein a day, but I usually *only* (LOL) make it to 85 - 100 grams.

I should also put in a plug for weight training while I'm at it . I recommend it. HIGHLY.

Last edited by LovesBassets; 10-18-2005 at 09:00 PM.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:48 PM   #12  

Talking

Onelasttime - I'm with ya there. I was the same way and finally I'm focusing on both and feel great after only a week of truly trying to stay within my calorie limits and get my exercise daily. I hope this is the last time I embark on this journey.

Good luck to you! Keep it up!
byebigbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 10:19 AM   #13  
Sandra

S/C/G: 230/195.0/145

Thaks for all the advice, sharing and inspiration!! I've found that I used to think "Well, I can eat that because I'm gonna exercise it off later." Never worked. Weigh-in isn't until the end of the week (I can't even peek because I don't own a scale) so we'll see how it's going. I'm still going along with doing BOTH and I feel soooo much better mentally about my weight loss journey this time, more realistic, more lifelong (let's hope). I just love this board....hope you all have a great day.
OneLastTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 11:47 AM   #14  

Quote:
I'll tell ya, SF40, you will be AMAZED at the difference more protein will do for you. I have protein at every single meal and ALL of my (5 - 6) snacks a day are usually protein-based -- cottage cheese (like you said), low fat string cheese, walnuts, almonds, protein shakes, hardboiled eggs, etc. It's a fantastic way to make it from one meal to the next without feeling hungry. Plus, it will help you maintain muscle mass while losing fat -- if you don't eat protein while "dieting" you'll lose fat AND muscle, which is no good cuz muscle is metabolically active and burns calories even when your just sitting around. My trainer wants me to aim for 140 grams of protein a day, but I usually *only* (LOL) make it to 85 - 100 grams.

I should also put in a plug for weight training while I'm at it . I recommend it. HIGHLY.

Hey LovesBassets, thanks so much for the advice! I definitely plan to add more protein to my meals and snacks. I am a believer in weight training ... I have been doing resistance training like walking lunges, squats, push ups, bench dips, etc., and while I haven't lost a single pound and my pants are as tight as ever, I am firming up. I guess I had hoped I'd shrink a bit by now. Will add more protein and see if that helps.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:54 PM   #15  

sf40,

If you're weight training, then you REALLY need lots of protein -- no WONDER you're all pooped out!!!

I'm a protein fanatic, and have been known to write whole novels about it in my posts . Like this one ------> http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...765#post965765 which you may be interested in if you have an hour or two of spare reading time . My post/novel is at the bottom of that page.