Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 01:07 PM   #1  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Default Home Facial Peels

Has anyone tried any of these. Im starting to see alot of advertising for them. When I stopped at, I think the clinique counter, and asked the lady about it, she told me that they were wonderful, but when I said I had sensitive skin, she did her very best to discourage me! I had to give her credit, she was honest with the product.

I have tried "Good Skin" its a citric based product, and much easier on my skin than hydroxy type products. So far, I like it, but I dont know if I want to shell out the $30 for it. Im using samples at the moment. I definitely have brighter skin....but that could also be because Im eating better. That always makes a big difference in my skin.

Any thoughts or trials out there?
Old 10-17-2005, 02:36 PM   #2  
Uber-Moderator!!

I'm far from being an expert in skin care (and this IS a weight loss forum rather than a skin care forum) but I did remember reading a Q&A earlier this year in O Magazine regarding home facial peels - and fortunately they've reproduced that Q&A on the Oprah website which you can read here.

Looks as though it's okay, but there are several caveats and precautions you need to take as far as what ingredients are in the product, your skin type, and frequency.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:51 PM   #3  
Lovin' Life

I am well aware that this IS a weight loss forum.

Did your skin change when you lost weight? Mine has, and any imput on this would be really appreciated. If you think it doesnt belong here, delete it.

Thankyou for the link, I will check it out.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:57 PM   #4  
prepare for the BEST time

I've had several chemical peels....from a doctor's office at a very high price. But they gave excellent results and to me was worth it.

However, the Alpha Hydrox line is great (and affordable) to start as is the Philosphy line. Olay is also good as is L-Oreal--these are probably 10%.

You can buy stronger professional strength peels via on-line BUTBUTBUT---I cannot stress strongly enough----YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!! AND TAKE PRECAUTIONS or you will burn your face off! (buy nothing from ebay, go only to the licensed sites like skinwest or platinum skincare)

A TCA post-peel look requires time off from work, think of a snake shedding with a bad sunburn....

if you want more info. PM me.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:07 PM   #5  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinW
I am well aware that this IS a weight loss forum.

Did your skin change when you lost weight? Mine has, and any imput on this would be really appreciated. If you think it doesnt belong here, delete it.

Thankyou for the link, I will check it out.
Sorry - didn't mean for that to sound quite so snarky...

If anything, my facial skin probably got better as I lost weight, since I began eating healthier and adding more water/fluids to my diet.

Generally, it's the skin from the neck down (in other words - loose skin) that has been the hot topic as far as the dermis is concerned - that topic has been very nicely covered in a sticky thread in Maintainers by our Meg which you can find here.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:08 PM   #6  

There is a great article on Paula Begoun's site about peels in general: http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/ar...FER=SKIN&ID=23.

If you do a search on the word "peel" you'll also come up with a lot of reviews for specific products. Even if a product you're looking at isn't reviewed, reading reviews of other products can give you an idea of what to look for and what to avoid.

Honestly, if a cosmetic salesperson tried to talk you OUT OF an over-the-counter product because of your skin type, I'd take that very seriously.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:31 PM   #7  
Lovin' Life

Thanks so much for your imput ladies.

marbleflys~ I really dont think I want to go have it done professionally...Im a big chicken!! But thankyou for your response!!

MrsJim~ My skin has gone thru some changes (again) It looks great when Im eating properly, drinking lots of water....but something is going on, its grey, flaky, and looks like it needs a good shot of vitamin (kwim?)

funniegrl~ I did take her very seriously. I was very impressed with her....its not too often you get a salesclerk trying "not" to sell you something. Thanks so much for the link, Ive done some searching online, and it looks like so far, what is good for my skintype is the citric based peels.

Thanks again ladies
Old 10-17-2005, 03:52 PM   #8  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinW
MrsJim~ My skin has gone thru some changes (again) It looks great when Im eating properly, drinking lots of water....but something is going on, its grey, flaky, and looks like it needs a good shot of vitamin (kwim?)
You mention 'flaky' skin...

I'm wondering - what is your (healthy) fat intake like right now - the one time I've experienced 'flaky' facial skin was back in the mid-1990's when I was on an ultra-low-fat vegan diet (and it wasn't just my face either - my whole body was dry and flaky and TERRIBLY itchy no matter how much Gold Bond lotion I applied not fun!).

I think I'll ask Meg to chime in on this thread as well - she might have some valuable input on this topic.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:59 PM   #9  
Meg

Hi Karen! Wish I knew something about facial peels but I don't. I've had laser skin treatments for rosecea but never a peel. I do use Retin A at night, which is an exfoliator, but other than that I've never done a peel. And with my sensitive skin, it might not be such a good idea!

But if anyone's interested in laser skin treatments, I can talk up a storm!
Old 10-17-2005, 05:08 PM   #10  
Bound and Determined

S/C/G: 268/268/150

Height: 5'10"

I don't know much about other lines, but I can speak about the Lancôme peels and the cosmetic industry from experience.

I worked for Lancôme for a while, and they have two at-home peels out, one of which, the Resurface peel, I have tried. The other one is newer and came out after I left the company, and I have not tried it yet, but it is supposed to be gentler on your skin. A good friend of mine still works there, and she likes the new one even better. I believe that it is formulated for younger skin (i.e. it provides a "glow" rather than reduces aging), but I'm not positive of that.

As for the Resurface peel, I tried it many times and absolutely loved it. I have pretty decent skin (well, that's what you get for working for a cosmetic company!), and I could always tell a difference in the smoothness and clarity of my skin after using it. I let both my mother and my grandmother use it and saw wonderful results on their skin as well.

But I will second the Clinique rep's caveat: if you have sensitive skin, you might want to think twice. However, the Resurface peel is gentler than other products I have tried. Lancôme's Resolution line is not a peel (they have the basic moisturizer and eye cream, plus a few other random items), and it is *a lot* stronger than the Resurface Peel. One suggestion would be to ask for a sample of Resolution--if you can handle that, you can handle the peel. If you go to a very large counter, they may even have a sample of the peel, though I admit those are rare.

Also to consider, the Lancôme peels are expensive. Resurface peel is around $145, and I think the new one is around $95. But I believe they provide enough for 8-10 peels, so that's really not a bad deal.

My biggest suggestion, however, is to get a sample if they are available, especially if you're worried about your skin being too sensitive. Those cosmetic counters DO have samples, and this is exactly what they're for! Ask the reps to help you, ask them the difference between products, and shop around. Find one who really knows her product and isn't just trying to sell you something. They are there to help!

And I just want to say Bravo! to that Clinique rep for being honest with you! I was one of those honest cosmetic reps too, and they really are few and far between. The way I look at it, if you lie to a customer about a product, they're going to figure it out eventually (i.e. when the product doesn't work). If you're honest, you earn the customer's respect and trust, which earns you a loyal customer. And that's better than a single sale, any day!

Also--and this is something a lot of people don't know about cosmetics--you can return them if they don't work or if you have a bad reaction (at least at counters, I don't think WalMart would be so generous). Any good rep will want to help you find the product that works for you, whether it's the first one you try or the fifth. That's another way you earn a loyal customer!

Anyway, I hope this helps!
~Elisha
Old 10-17-2005, 06:04 PM   #11  
Lovin' Life

Great info Elisha, thanks so much!
Closed Thread