Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 10-14-2005, 10:10 PM   #1  

Red face Some Complications.. have arisen

Okay, Went in Yesterday and had the staples removed and the gtube ( tube in the old stomache to drain out. as had too much bile and still do) OMG. Still draining. and burns my stomache.. Terribly.,

Now, when they took out the staples, and was still draining a bit, but a huge amount of fluid beneanth the wound. Well while im in the office.. the wound opens.. all the way up.. I FREAKED OUT.. cried like a baby.. but had my dad with me.. glad it was him and not my mom... to dramatic.. then they drained it as much as they could and said that at least it wasnt infected.. just didnt drain well.. so now they packed it. and set me up with Home Health Care. I have an R.N. coming out for Wound Care Today , Sat, Sun. Then Monday they nurse will attach a Wound Vac. to the wound . now will be 4-6 weeks for this Wound Vac to work. to have this healed.. so I am home with a huge open wound, and then that drainage from the G tube.. My OH MY what can a girl do... I will keep you updated.. But will try to be back tomorrow. just hard sometimes a lot going on... and hard to sit pu with the drainage.. but once that clears up Ill be able to get around a bit more..

talk soon.. and I still think this is worth it Im at 347 was 365 "
JustPeachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 10:20 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

wow! i sure am glad that you went to the doc! please PLEASE take care of yourself. if you start feeling weird or get a temp, RUN don't walk to the doc, ok? promise???
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 10:25 PM   #3  

I promise.. I have my parents next door. and we are watching it close and the nurse is out daily cleaning it, and Wound Vac on Monday... It will be alright.. just want everyone to know whats going on. Ill be back tomorrow.. to chat more.. gonna go to bed... hugs to all
Old 10-15-2005, 07:11 PM   #4  

Just thinking of you. What an ordeal! I did get an infection though but you know... 3 years later, who cares!?!? You'll get there, just be careful, okay?
NeeNoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 09:02 PM   #5  

Just Peachie...while everything is healing...just take it easy and yeah...regardless...it is worth it...
Janet
janet_921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 02:56 AM   #6  
IR:0, Valarie:1

Default Questions

What does the drainage tube actually drain? I'm guessing stomach fluid, but it seems like the doctor could express that at surgery time...

Any other details about the drainage tube anyone would like to share?

Valarie
Valarie250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 01:25 PM   #7  

The Nurse is awesome. The Wound Vac has arrived this morning.. My nurse came out and has attahced it.. to the wound.. That should increase the healing..
"Drainage tube was in my stomache draining bile.. They left it in as i was producing a lot of bile and they felt it would drain better with the tube.. Well it didnt and i Had stomache acid and bile pouring out like a fauct and bandages just werent helping.. so my dad made this thing with baggie to catch it to avoid it sitting in one place on my stomache... which is blisterd.. but stopped draining this morning nothing.. finally.. I know it will be okay.. just some set backs... Ill be home from work 4-6 weeks from today of the wound vac.. talk soon.. have a good day .. ill be back
Old 10-18-2005, 03:13 PM   #8  

After most surgeries you have draining tubes, I did after my gall bladder was removed, my boyfriend did after his mastectomy (long story) your body keeps producing fluid in response to what is going on, and without the drainage tube it would build up and burst through the wound, which is still a risk even with the drainage in. My boyfriend came home with his drains still in, he used to hang them on the drawer handles when he did the washing up..........nice!!!

Glad you are doing ok and still able to post, we were really concerned for you, and I hope you live up to your screen name real soon!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 07:50 AM   #9  

GOOD MORNING~~~Nurse coming back today to change sponges on the Wound VAC. will see how that goes... trying to avoid the word PAINFUL.. But will let you all know..
I walked yesterday, total 35 minutes... so trying to get back on track. and think PROTIEN< PROTIEN< PROTIEN>>>> . talk soon..

Peachie
Old 10-26-2005, 08:58 PM   #10  

HI, Im getting better each day. No infection at all. My wound went from 10cm deep to 4cm deep now in about 9 days .. The nurse says I will have this wound vac for approx 3 more weeks.. I am walking again about 1 1/2 miles a day now.. its gotten cooler and easier to walk out there. One Prob I am having not to be gross but I am constipated.. called my doc he said to take Milk of Magnesia.. Will see how that works.. as this is not very comfortable.. ewwww.. any ways.. for the most part doing great.. and just a moving along. .. Everyone Have an awesome nite..
Old 10-27-2005, 09:24 AM   #11  
Pending Email Confirmation

Sorry to hear what happened for you, fingers crossed for the wound to heal well! and wonderful start on the weight loss!
Mazarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 08:01 PM   #12  

What is benefiber, never heard of that.. Thanks Mazarin, its appreciated. Ill be fine just some discomfort now and then..
Old 10-29-2005, 09:56 AM   #13  
Movin on down the scale

Benefiber is great. I use it everyday. I have been pretty much chronically constipated my whole life. Metamucil, ect ever really worked well. But Benefiber works good for me...but remember, you are not taking in as much VOLUME, so there is not going to be as much WASTE coming from your body....so it is not tooo abnormal to go a couple days without a bowel movement when you cut your volume down drastically. But if you have pain/discomfort then you want/need to address it. Personally I am luck to have a bowl movement 2-3 times a week...I have been like that for 15 years! My hubby on the other hand has 1-2 a day, but the volume of food we eat is so different that would make up the differences.

Good Luck to you in your weightloss and recovery
GonnaLooseitagain is offline   Reply With Quote