Old 10-04-2005, 01:30 PM   #1  

Default OT- Gardenwife

I have a peace lily and it the leaves keep getting dark and dying. Not all of the but the new ones coming up are. Do you know what might be causing this?
Tammy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 04:28 PM   #2  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

I just saw this -- Sorry! You might be overwatering it. Does the pot it's in have good drainage?
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 12:52 AM   #3  

I found some information online that said it needed good drainage also. I took the bottom plate of the pot so it can drain freely. It also said that I should flush the soil. I believe it was something about a buildup of something in the soil. So, I'll see if it does better in the next couple of months.

Thanks for answering.
Tammy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 11:31 AM   #4  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

Hi, Tammy -

Yes, that's true, too. When plants are in containers, the minerals from your water and any fertilizer you use tend to build up. Giving those plants a really thorough watering in the tub every so often is great for them as long as you let them drain really well before putting them back in their saucers. In the winter, some tropical plants do well to have a tray of pebbles below them, with just a little water in the tray. The water provides added humidity to the plants, and the pebbles keep the plants from sitting right in the water. A cookie sheet works, as will any shallow dish.

Kimberley
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote