Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 04:11 PM   #1  

Question Revival Soy?

Hi - does anyone have any info about Revival Soy and the products?? The website looks great - but I don't have much exp. w/Soy - - so any help would be appreciated.

Old 09-07-2005, 06:52 PM   #2  
Uber-Moderator!!

It's probably no better or worse than the multitude of soy products already on the market.

Although probably more expensive than most but I guess they have to pay for all that high placement on the Google search engines... they own a ton of URLs - most of which bring you right back to the Revival site.

I thought that I recognized that name "Physicians Laboratories" from SOMEWHERE but I couldn't recall until this article from 2001 came up:

Menopause test kit hits market

I don't know if it's still being marketed but it was a $60 kit (containing two tests) which the company recommended that women use twice a year starting at age 35 to determine whether or not they've hit the big M...of course you would still need to get a final determination from your doctor...
Old 10-13-2005, 08:46 AM   #3  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up Yummy

Taste-wise, I like them better than most energy bars (though I really wouldn't replace a meal with them.) I had the low-carb chocolate raspberry zing and it didn't taste low carb at all (in fact, didn't even know it was till after I tasted it)

Being a guy, there isn't really much going for me in the area of hormone-balancing but these bars have a pretty high level of soy protein, and true to their claim, doesn't taste like chocolate-covered soy powder. It's also low-GI so my blood sugar won't spike.

Actually, recently I just bought some more thru an ad on the 3FC website! (there was a 20% off offer for October, so it's about 1.75 per bar) I got the variety pack so I'll let know how those other flavors turn out. (the e-coupon ad is on the Food Section of the 3FC site)
Old 10-13-2005, 08:50 PM   #4  
it's always something

Just a quick note that we do have their ads running, but we've not actually tried their products so we are not endorsing them. We recommend everyone do thorough research into a product before handing over your hard earned cash, no matter where you see the advertisement

I have been curious about them myself, and considered trying them recently when they had a huge sale going on (better than the current one). I like the idea of adding soy protein to my diet.

I used to buy VegeFuel, which is an unflavored soy protein powder, and added it to fruit smoothies. It was a very inexpensive way to add soy to my diet. They were quite tasty, too, once you get used to them
Old 10-14-2005, 12:47 AM   #5  
Token Rooster? ;)

ahh thanks for clarifying... been meaning to ask that (some websites won't run ads unless it's stuff the webmaster(s) actually use... others exert less control.)
Old 10-14-2005, 05:51 AM   #6  
it's always something

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaWarlock
ahh thanks for clarifying... been meaning to ask that (some websites won't run ads unless it's stuff the webmaster(s) actually use... others exert less control.)
Some of the ads are under our complete control, but others aren't We won't (knowingly) run ads for MLM products, diet pills, patches, and that sort of thing. Every now and then our ad company slips in something that we'd rather not have on our site, but they are usually good about removing them asap upon request. Ads by Google (text ads), however, are not as easily controlled, since there are thousands of potential ads and the ones displayed are based on keywords in the page, not personal selection.

The Revival Soy products are soy protein shakes and bars, similar to the ones that can be purchased in many stores, and they appear to be safe for that purpose. When we received contact from Revival Soy to run their ads, we did a little research and couldn't find any complaints about the product, and we have talked with people in the past that were really happy with their products quality and flavors. They can be pricey, but they do run good sales from time to time that brings them in line with a lot of similar products, and they seem to have some unique selections, as well.

We'd love to hear your review of the other flavors you've ordered, please keep us updated
Old 10-14-2005, 08:09 AM   #7  

Just a (friendly) reminder to make sure you don't overdo soy in your diet. Some soy is beneficial. Too much can wreck havoc on your hormonal balance. It is not really that you need more estrogen, ladies, but more balance between the levels of estrogen and progesteren. The latest recommendation is no more than 25g of soy from a variety of sources (I can't find that source right now). I'd make sure it is coming from food products like tofu and roasted soy nuts and energy bars and frozen burgers and not supplements (estroven is one, but I am sure there are others to watch out for).

Here is one article. http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2000/300_soy.html

I'm sure Mrs Jim will be along with a fabulous, more recent source. I think I read something recently either in Natural Health or Organic Style, and, of course, I can't put my finger on it now.

Last edited by ellenuw; 10-14-2005 at 08:40 AM.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:59 PM   #8  
Token Rooster? ;)

hmm... I thought the FDA recommendation was at least 25g of soy for it to have significant benefits on the heart & cardiovascular system.

Suzanne, I'd love to post reviews of the other Revival Soy bars... as soon as its added as items in the food review products list! (I'm sure there are others on the 3FC who have opinions on them as well)
Old 10-17-2005, 08:35 AM   #9  

Default Do Your Own Research

Just my .02-I have a good friend, fellow runner who is an oncologist specializing in breast cancer. Several of the women in my group were discussing soy/menopause issues. The oncologist said that while soy is a good source of protein, the scientific evidence for it helping health conditions isn't there. She said the studies have been done on mice and actually show an increase in cancer risk for low-moderate consumption of soy. She said the studies seem to demonstrate a decreased risk of cancer for the mice who ate massive amounts of soy, but it was an amount that no human would eat. She said she eats edamame because she likes the taste but avoids soy consumption otherwise.
Closed Thread