Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2001, 03:25 AM   #1  
Juno

Default The 5% Club - We have our whole lives to perfect this

What a summer this has been. I am long overdue to start a new thread, or even post! For me this has been such an incredible summer, very transforming. I am doing lots of work in different arenas, and as usual I find that my internet time is severely curtailed. On the weekends the screen is dark. But here I am, to share what is up and make this connection that means a lot to me.

A GF of mine went to Weight Watchers and would like to lose some weight - but she doesn't want to go to the meetings (she doesn't want to spend $10 per, and she feels like "I can do this...I know I can just do it myself...)... I strongly urged her to get online and find an online support web of buddies like we have here. I didn't go so far as to get specific about coming here per se (I enjoy the anonymity and don't know how it would fly with people I know in "real life" - but who knows?)

Anyway. My excuses. First fitness has been going really great, I have lots of energy and the weight is holding steady. I go through spurts of getting to the club for workout-workouts, and then there will be a spell where the exercise is from gardening and home projects. For example last week I painted the ceiling in the Kitchen and LR. I have to say that rolling thick paint overhead is exercise indeed! I feel really settled into this level of eating and it is really working for me. I miss the regular club workouts, but I believe fall will settle into a routine and I will be back at it. Curiously, I have not been doing the running this summer, though it isn't over yet!

In the last couple of weeks, while I have been MIA, a couple of things have been happening. As you know I have struggled and had the goal of getting more organized, getting my house together and just not being so frenetic (writing a letter can involve searching for the address book, searching for the cards, searching for stamps....I can't live my life this way anymore). I found a system that works better for me than lists and I'm easing into it. I find making this fantastic progress is very invigorating and energy-giving. There is a lot of sorting and purging to do and I work on it every single day - in fact I look forward to it. It is just wonderful. I'm doing a lot of gardening projects and that is going well also.

As you know I do the basket thing on the side. The current campaign is their yearly fund raising campaign for breast cancer. We did a big event on the 20th that involved lots of baking/preparing food, calling and writing invitations, and I'm still finishing up on the followup. It was a huge success and another arena where I have been feeding on lots of energy.

In short: There was NOTHING MELLOW about July!!!!!

I'm dying to hear about Raychel's new job, Steph's vacation, how it is going with Justy, Catherine, and any and all else past, present and future who quest for health and are in this for life! I'm going to try to remind myself that a small 1-paragraph post is better than nothing (I put a lot of pressure on myself to post long, profound posts) - just staying in touch is nice.

Take it easy everyone. Share where you are getting your summer energy, what is changing with you?

Juno

Old 08-03-2001, 09:12 PM   #2  

Talking

Hullo ladies *pant*pant*pant*the sound of Raychel running mad!!!!

I haven't started "the job" yet...8/13 is the official start date. I've been busily training the woman who is my replacement. She has nearly 20yrs experience on me and let me tell you she's swamped. Work load has seem to double in the last week and a half she's been training. I keep wondering how I did it all by myself for 5 yrs!! Okay well truthfully, the "busy" part of work has been my expansion of the position over the last three years. I'm flattered that we had to bring in someone to cover me with so much experience. If I've told you all this before I apologize. My brain is on hyper drive.

But I'm very please because she is getting it all! Its a very good thing I gave as much notice as I did. I'm amazed at how much I "know" at this job.

Its also given me time (sort of) to reflect on how much I've changed too in these past several years at my company. I've changed A LOT. Not only physically but mentally too. Phew...its been a journey and the best part is it isn't over yet!

Steph I hope you are having the most maaahvolous time on vacation...Juno thank you for keeping the 5% spirit alive and well and kudos to your reorganization efforts...everyone else let us know that you are all hanging in there!
Old 08-08-2001, 02:58 PM   #3  

I’m back!! We all had a great time even enduring 2 18-hour car rides with 3 kids J Nobody killed anybody and I think we only had one very tiny fight in the back of the van. I think that is pretty good for the ages of 14, 5 & 3! Proud of my kids and happy because we can keep going on vacations. I do think our next big vacation will be via plane though so that will be a bit easier.

I loved Colorado and enjoyed the mountains and wished I could have built myself a nice cozy house right in the middle of Rocky Mountain National Park. Kind of difficult since the park is closed all winter but I could get good at stocking up. The highest peak I climbed (we did about 5 long hikes) was 12,500 feet. I was quite impressed by my kids because though I did a hear a little whining and “my feet are sooo tired” they never quit. A positive thing also was the my DH loved it out there and now understands why I say that CO or more Northwest would suit our outdoor needs more. I love MN but the climate really isn’t good for an outdoors family that really has limited love for winter plus the summers are really getting too hot and humid for any great enjoyment. I see a move in our future but DH still goes on and on about Alaska however the CO trip has opened his eyes to the fact that he might like other states (I have never been to Oregon but think that is another possible…along with WA to be by my younger sisters). I moved many many times when I was younger so living here in this house for 5 years already is a big accomplishment!!

Exercise is good but kind of in the background. I have a hectic August and am just patiently waiting to send the kids back to school. I have my 5 year old heading off to Kindergarten and C off to Highschool. I’ll be a bit busy this year but I look forward to it. As always just need to carve out my own little space so that I find enough time to do all my things. I have really good napping daycare kids so I think nap is just going to be my exercise time. I have enough time to workout and turn myself into a non-sweating daycare provider so I think that is my plan. I get up early in the a.m. but I tend to find other things to do then so I thought I would just concentrate on those things for now.

The heading for this post is perfect - Our Whole Lives to Perfect This..........I guess since I can't seem to get enough done on a yearly basis so I guess I need my lifetime to just get myself in order!!

Raychel - Do you have a week off between the new job and this one to catch your breath?? I always do that when I changed jobs even if it wasn't financially smart. Always looking for that extra vacation week!!

Juno - I hear you on the Hectic summer. I have enjoyed myself and the pace but like I said Start The School Bell Ringing!!!

I won't say I can't believe it is August already since I am counting down the days til Sept. It is only 15 more working days for me and the big higher energy kids are plopped in their desks for their teacher to try and calm for 9 months - I CAN'T WAIT!!

Have a great day everyone! Stephanie
Old 08-12-2001, 01:06 PM   #4  

Hello all. It's hard to believe it's the middle of August already. Where did the summer go? Mind you, I'm almost (!) looking forward to fall. This summer has either been very rainy, which I don't mind, or really hot. And really hot turns my apartment into a sweatbox. The fall weather will be nice!

Things here have been going pretty good. Food has been a bit strange with not tons of vegies but lots of high fibre cereal. The cereal has been satisfying my crunchy cravings so I have to admit I'm a bit impressed with myself. Usually I head straight for the chips when I want crunchy but my Muffets are doing it for me now. High fibre, low fat, can't get much better

My exercise has been pretty consistent. I usually max on 45 min of cardio but on Friday I did a full hour on the Buffer and felt like I could keep going! I'm loving the energy it gives me.

I have to admit to feeling a little blue today. It's my 6 year wedding anniversary. I didn't expect it to bug me but it is a bit. Strange feeling really. Esp. since I spoke with my lawyer this week - my divorce will be final shortly before Christmas. No, I have no regrets about leaving, just feeling strange today.

Raychel, I hope you have a fabulous first day tomorrow. I am so proud of you. Let us know how it goes.

Steph, I'm glad you have a great vacation. I enjoyed hearing your enthusiasm about it bubbling over.

Juno, I had to smile when you mentioned painting being it's own exercise. When I went home in June I painted my parents' house. I was so sore! Was definitely a workout. How goes the house reorganization? I'm needing something like that too. I'm pretty good usually but I'm to the point of throwing everything out and starting again

I suppose I should go and get some housework done before it gets too warm to move in here. And then I go shopping! Take care everyone!
Old 08-13-2001, 12:31 AM   #5  
Juno

Very good to hear from everyone. So ends a great weekend. We took the ferry up to Haines where there is the SE Alaska fair - the kids had never been to a fair. The fair in Haines is pretty down-home and hokey, but we had fun. Today we spent some time at Mendenhall Glacier enjoying a stellar day. All in all a great summer weekend, and so it almost feels strange to be sitting at the keyboard.

Workouts have been sporadic alas. But I keep busy, doing more chores and just trying to race the calendar to have the entire house organized by the time school starts. I think I will reach that goal (the garage may be another story) and then my system will keep me up with it as long as I manage to use it. DH is taking this week off however - which means every day will either give me kid-free time to hit the club or out on some trail for a hike.

Justy I have that cereal thing from time to time - and it is much better than chips! Lately I've been craving steamed veggies over rice with a sauce, and I hope I can find a sauce to entice my family. Condolences on the anniversary. While not super-forward in my thoughts the anniversary of my ill-fated (brief) early marriage is something I always note on the date.

Yes Steph we are on the same page with the hectic. Your Rockies vacation sounds like it was pretty wonderful. Let's push for some good healthy moves for ourselves in August so when some of our time is back in September we will be that much ahead of the game.

And...Raychel today is the DAY. I wish you well on the new job. What a stroke of luck that they got a good replacement for you. I hope you will give us the word on the fitness industry from the provider's point of view.

I'll be going down to Oregon the last weekend of September. My grandfather is really failing at this point and I would like to see him again if he can hang in there - just me this time, no kiddles. In impending trip always gets me motivated to go that extra mile on the buffer and power those veggies -

Back to work for me - send energy for the week!

Old 08-14-2001, 09:03 PM   #6  

Talking

Hi ladies...okay second official day of my new job is done! I love it so far...on the one hand its much different from what I was doing before but there are similarities. I'm already hearing positive feedback ("wow, you are so much different than our last Director"). From what I can gather he was a nice guy but a flake, not pro-active at all and didn't follow through with things. I'm getting a lot of things thrown at me but I'm not overwhelmed. They all have NO idea what kind of job I just came from!

In terms of getting a different view of the fitness industry...of course I still have TONS to learn but the old adage "you can't please everyone" truly applies in fitness clubs!! You can get the silliest complaints/suggestions! Mostly about cleanliness, broken equipment (that usually isn't broken) and music selection. I think the club I work for is dirtier than it should be. But when you mention that to the maintenance dept. you are told that (of course) all equipment is cleaned thoroughly every day. It doesn't look like it to me - but when you have traffic of over 500 people a day, things are bound to get dirty! So its that sort of thing.

Right now I'm trying to remember names and who does what!! Its a huge club and very busy. I'm nailing down things like scheduling (which has been all over the place) and proper handling of payroll (which has been all over the place) and soon get to work the floor to introduce the new members to the club. Eventually, if I have time, I can take on personal clients. I think this will happen in time. The job itself isn't very demanding, it just needs to be cleaned up, clear guidelines set, get everyone on the same page sort of deal. Piece of cake! Just what I like to do!!

Steph - You make me want to move to CO. But I need to be within driving distance of the ocean...Oregon is wonderful. I lived there for a long time. Hey, CA isn't bad either (exept for our gov't). Glad you had fun!

Juno - Chores count chores count! (for exercise) I'm running on the new job - always up an about. I'm already shrinking from the extra activity! You must be prepping the kids to return to school soon too?

JS: Nice to hear from you too. You are so right to give yourself kudos for eating cereal instead of other things. Someone told me once that you can't just cut out a bad habit -you have to replace it with something better. Sounds like that is what you are doing.

So thats my check in for now...I will report more later.

Take care - Raychel
Old 08-23-2001, 03:15 PM   #7  

Hi! This is just a quickie for me because I can never seem to find big blocks of time to post. School starts in 11 days and they are just going to fly by (but daycare days might drag!). Just kidding as it has been a very nice summer. I took more breaks this year which really helped. Our household is doing fun but we are taking some adjusting to having a fulltime teenager in house. Nothing big just little things like I am not used to someone other than myself being on the phone J Plus she talks more than me which is a hard thing to do but I am used to silence in the evenings and I’m not getting much down time now. She is this very serious teenager with all these thoughts rolling around in her head….guess it is better that I am an outlet and she feels good enough to share but I’m looking forward to her having more friends when school starts (bad mom!). The boys are used to her visiting and her room has always been more like a play area but now we are setting ground rules for when they can be in there and when they must STAY OUT. Oh we shall have this all under control soon. I’m trying really hard to remember how important some things are when you are 14 vs. my knowing that it isn’t a big deal in the whole scheme of life.

Basically that has been my life for the past few weeks and I am waiting for them all to board the bus so I can have a bit of quiet – I’ll really need it in 11 days! I am exercising, trying to eat more mini meals but nothing out of the ordinary here! Except of course if you want to also hear about how I have to adapt to a stereo being on in the evenings (it’s not loud I’m just a book person at night!!).

Raychel – I hope you are having a great time at work and can’t wait to hear more about it as you are there longer!

Juno – Did you get the girls off to school yet?? I have a friend up in Alaska this week so I look forward to hearing her adventures!

Must run as I hear two that have awaken upstairs – argh!!!

Steph
Old 08-24-2001, 12:44 PM   #8  

Hello all! This is going to be a quick note but just wanted to check in.

Things here have been pretty busy. We have our company golf tournament on Tuesday and it's my baby to run. All the ugly stuff has been done so now I get to enjoy the rest of it!

And I have happy/big relief news. I spoke with my lawyer on Wednesday and we have a settlement agreement now. So pretty much all of the bickering is done, now we just have the paperwork and waiting left. What a relief to have that part over.

I'm looking for ideas. I went and gave myself shin splints. What's the best cardio so I don't slack on that area but don't cause any further damage/pain?

But back to work. I hope everyone is having a fabulous day!
Old 08-25-2001, 01:19 PM   #9  

Okay - week 2 completed as a Fitness Director!!

Things are going really well. My new job is TOTALLY different from my old one. There are some similarities (staffing issues, little HR problems etc) but the atmosphere is very different. The club suffers from growing pains. It was a very small club only 20yrs ago and now we have over 4000 members. The days of everyone knowing everyone are long gone and the owner still kind of lives in the "we are a small family business" mode. There is little security and privacy in the way the business is run in terms of the payroll and cash drawers and so on. I'm so used to strict policies in these areas its a strange change.

The Club also has many "multi purpose expert" type people. The man who runs all the computer systems is also the Facilities Maintenance person and a bartender and a clergyman and a house inspector and so on! Because of this (people having many different jobs at once) things that are important fall behind. Like updating brochures and flyers and bulletin boards and even staff phone lists. So of course I've jumped in with all four feet. I've tackled some things to get them updated and am shocking (impressing?) the heck out of some people. What I tell them is until I figure out what my REAL job is I'll do this stuff!

My new boss is very much a numbers/profit man. He LOVES his business which is wonderful. But heads roll if he isn't seeing the numbers he likes. I'm pretty direct with him. I've got lots of ideas for my department. It runs itself most of the time but there is fine tuning needed. I've forgotten how much I enjoy the creative side of Marketing. I've never liked Sales but I can Market - like putting displays together or setting up a nutrition consultation program etc.

So what all that means is I'm enjoying my job. Its hard to say whether I LOVE it or not because I still feel like I'm floundering a bit. But I have been warmly received and in the (many) meetings I've had with other Directors and Staff I walk away feeling like I've made a good impression and connected with them.

JS - Chin splints = yuck. For therapy icing your chins for 10m at a time will keep the inflammation down so they can heal. Ice therapy burns but it works. Stretch your calves and your chins (by pointing your toes) regularly. For cardio try biking, swimming, ellipitical/cross trainer type things. I don't remember if you go to gym or not so hopefully you have access to these things or at least have a bike! Just don't do any "bouncy" or "impact" type things (running, impact aerobics). I'm very glad to hear that the "hard part" of your divorce is finished. That must be an incredible weight off of your shoulders.

Steph - I can't help but feel envy for C - at 14 I didn't have anyone I could talk too. (Mom was in la la land and Dad out of the picture) So while it might drive you crazy I'm glad you are there for her. I know you have this in perspective. What I remember being in angst about at that age was popularity, how I looked and being terrified of high school coming up.

Okay - I've been on the 'puter for darn near 2 hrs now trying to catch up on everything so I'm going to get off line now!

Hope everyone is healthy and happy!
Old 09-04-2001, 02:56 PM   #10  

Can you all hear (or feel) the silence in my house??? I shouldn't even by typing I should just be treasuring the quiet. School is back in session and I am very happy!

I can't even post long now because I have a bit of catching up to do around the house. We had one of those jinxed weeks last week: Dh's truck broke (now fixed), our water softener broke and flooded our downstairs (my downstairs is doomed to flood once a year for something!), C got an ear infection, lots of yucky colds running around and a lot of running around to get ready for school. My son doesn't start kindergarten until tomorrow so I still have some paperwork stuff he needs for class. Better get a move on!

I'm listing out some new health goals and making the next two months a big challenge for myself. I have a good approach to the exercise but I am going to be much tougher on myself. I started writing out my goals two weeks ago and even on Labor Day weekend I stuck to my guns eating wise and exercise. Fall is always a good time for me and I need a big push!

Juno - I think we are both waiting for the Fall Routine to kick in. Something in the air just makes it a better environment for ME. Sounds like you are doing great though so keep it up!! I should have long words of wisdom here but I'm still recovering from summer!

Raychel - I imagine you will have that place ship-shape in no time. Wow 'em to death girl.....they will be signing the health clubs over to you! Your enthusiasm just jumps right out of your posts!

JS - I'm sorry I never got on and gave you a big hug on your anniversary day. I think I thought I did but re-reading my posts I see that I neglected to pour out my sympathy. Good job on getting through your day and it is okay to feel blue....just think though of the transformation and happiness that can come in your future. I imagine you will have those strange feelings for a while.

Off to conquer my house! Have a great short work week!

Stephanie
Old 09-04-2001, 04:10 PM   #11  
Juno

Default Hi Friends!

Happy fall, or almost fall, to all of you!

School started for the girls last Wednesday. I am getting accustomed to shuttling to two schools instead of one. I had to cover two weeks for one, and then one week for another vacationing typist, right through the first day of school. Quality of life is majorly affected, including workouts and nutrition. A person just needs an amount of clear time in the daily schedule in order to take proper care of herself! What I am good at is jumping right back into the fray - Thursday I was on the buffer, and I'm back to my faithful habits.

Making a lot of headway in the area of getting organized and simplifying some of my life routines. You-all already know (and can vouch for) less time spent on the internet. I am hitting the library every week with my girls - this has taken the place of my Amazon and checkstand magazine habit and has saved a lot of $!!! I am also keeping my summer helper this winter - hard to roll back the money but I want the freedom of time to do both what needs to be done and some of the things I just want to do.

I head to Oregon for a long weekend at the end of the month (I might have already said that, before). I will be going it alone, and it will be a family powwow with my ailing grandfather the focus. The trip will have some sadness, but I look forward to that family time, and a trip in the air always helps me stay with my good workout habits too.

It is getting a bit darker and I have to get up earlier with school. Instantly my energy changes - slows down- as I adjust to this, and it happens every year. My body is tuned to wake up 8:00 or later - even the mere difference of 6:45 or 7:00 makes a big difference. Oh well! I sleep deeper in the fall, too, just be related to bears and other hibernating creatures.

Steph I hope the jinxy time is over and that you are strongly into your fall routine. I agree with Raychel that Cassie will treasure you all her life. Sometimes the lucky kids don't act like they know it, but it makes a difference to have someone steady who cares and to model simply how to be decent in this world.

Raychel, Well I am ready to either join your club or ask you for a job! I can see the challenges, but you will be great. Maybe someday you will have your own club, so just watch, watch, watch and do your usual good job, you will be great. Are your own workouts suffering or thriving?

JS even with your challenges in the past couple of years, you are always a positive energy to read and you know we are all pulling for your happiness and health. Hope all is well in your quarter.

My plan is to get out of the house for a few minutes, just OUT, and then it will be chore time until school is out. I have to decide - do I take ballet again or not? I love it, and it really challenged me like crazy. On the other hand, since I have to drive to town and get home late it is a time committment and delays when I can start work. I'll need to decide by Monday.

Okay - what is new with you?

Juno

Old 09-04-2001, 10:42 PM   #12  

Hi ladies...quickie post to update and say hello...

Job is going very well! I'm liking it more and more. Getting feedback from clientele is increadibly rewarding. I worked with a 14 yr old girl the other day who was SO sharp. When I asked her about her goals (praying she wouldn't tell me she wanted to lose 20lbs because she was not fat, just needs some muscle tone) she said "well maybe lose the teensiest bit of weight but what I really want to do is get strong and have some muscle." I nearly kissed her! LOL!

My own workouts aren't suffering much...I have less energy because I'm working longer hours and realized I was neglecting my pre-workout liter of water. So I've corrected that and the energy is coming back. I'm going to start making the rounds of all my PT's (hiring them for a short time - I get a great rate as a staff member). It will be a great way to get to know them better, they get to make a little money and I get the benefit of seeing pro's in action.

Ug - It can't be moving towards Fall already!

Juno I'm going to OR 9/20-9/24 for my retreat....sorry to hear you aren't going under the best of circumstances. I'll be thinking of you.

Steph - okay I swear you flooded last year too - the water heater or something. What great plans are you thinking of for Holidays - I know you are planning already...fess up.

Take care ladies...I'll check in soon.
Old 09-05-2001, 04:40 PM   #13  
Juno

So here is what is happening to me - runaway hunger! I sort of know the cause. I was relatively sedentary with the extra work, then flung myself back into my better exercise habits at the same moment in time that I had to start getting up at 6:45 to get the girls up and rolling for school. As a result I am ravenous - I'm not talking about the munchies, I mean my stomach growls and eventually I am so distracted that I have to eat something. In midmorning, usually - if I get hungry at all - a banana will do the trick. Today I ate a bowl of leftover pasta with tomato and feta and a muffin! I didn't feel stuffed, either. I indulged in my famous almonds (making lunch more snacklike since snack was more lunchlike) and I assure you I will be hungry at 3:00, dinnertimne and 11:00 p.m. before my 1:30 a.m. bedtime rolls around!

I believe if you are hungry you should eat. But I am bummed that all my exercise will be canceled out in the calorie dept (nothing can take away the global benefits).

I also am doing great with water. I bought a Brita pitcher recently and that has helped me tremendously. I also drink much less coffee, though I have switched to tea. That switch was weeks and weeks ago though.

Tell me I will adjust!

Well, later taters!

(hmmm, taters sound good...)

Juno

Old 09-11-2001, 09:45 PM   #14  

What an absolutely insane day. I know how much business was interrupted here with all of this, I can't imagine how things were going for those in the States. Work days were pretty much shot all over as everyone I spoke with mentioned that the bulk of time was spent listening to the radio and/or watching the news, all totally horrified at the magnitude of loss and destruction. I'm still stunned that all of this has happened.

My only concern now is that you are all okay and that your friends and family are safe. I hope everyone can check in soon and let us all know where things sit with you. My thoughts are with all my dear State-side friends.
Old 09-12-2001, 02:04 AM   #15  
Juno

Bless you for your support JS - what a terrible, terrible day. I live almost as far from the east coast you can but words can't describe how I felt today. I even questioned whether I made a mistake by bringing children into this world.

Closed Thread