Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-13-2005, 01:44 PM   #1  
Sandra

S/C/G: 230/195.0/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Going out to dinner tonight

Wish me luck ladies!! I have all the best intentions to order a healthy dinner, it's just a matter of getting the words out of my mouth before the evil words fly out first!! I'm going with my family and another couple who aren't the type to sabotage my efforts so that should make it easier. Tomorrow is weigh-in day so I definitely want to continue being good.
OneLastTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 02:04 PM   #2  
I like jewelry.

Height: 5'7"

Good luck!!!

You could always ask your non-sabotaging friends and family to order for you...
TBJ333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 02:19 PM   #3  
Bound and Determined

S/C/G: 268/268/150

Height: 5'10"

Do you know where you're going? You might try looking up the menu and nutrition information online, especially if it's a chain restaurant. I find it always helps me to know how many calories or grams of fat is in something I want to order. Seeing that there's, say, 1200 calories and 97 grams of fat in that order of chicken fingers and fries (all random, made-up numbers there, just giving an example) makes me *really* not want to eat it! NOT worth it!

Or find some common healthy foods that just about any restaurant is sure to have (grilled chicken, a salad, etc).

In any case, having a plan helps!

Good luck!
miss_elisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 02:36 PM   #4  

Ooooh, good advice! Also, try ordering a to go box right from the start and removing half of what ever you order. Takes away the temptation to sit and pick at the rest, plus you'll have lunch for tomorrow!! Good luck!

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 02:57 PM   #5  

Another thing I've found really helpful in dining out is visualization and mental practice.

So you take the excellent advice to look up nutritional values for items you might order. (If you are going to a restaurant that doesn't have their info online, you can go to www.calorieking.com. If they don't have that specific restaurant, you can at least find typical values for that type of food.)

Next, you spend some quiet time mentally rehearsing what will happen at the restaurant. You'll look at the menu (or not, because you already know what you're going to order, right?). You'll avoid the things you know you shouldn't have and zero in on the likely choices. You'll ask the waiter any relevant questions: "How is that prepared? Can I get a small salad instead of the potatoes?" etc. You'll place your order FIRST -- so you won't be swayed by what other people order. You'll order with a friendly smile, with all needed special requests: "Dressing on the side, no sauce on the fish, very little oil, please. And can you bring a to-go box with the entree?" You'll avoid the bread basket or other munchies. You'll pass on the alcohol. When the food arrives, you will portion out what will constitute an adequate serving and put the rest in the go box. You'll enjoy your meal, enjoying the company, eating slowly, giving your mind and body time to register the food you're eating.

See yourself making good choices. See yourself doing what you need to do to control your meal. Practice, practice, practice. By the time you get to the restaurant, it'll be old hat and comfortable rather than new and scary and full of temptation.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 03:03 PM   #6  
Sandra

S/C/G: 230/195.0/145

Height: 5'4"

Great tips....THANKS!
OneLastTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 03:33 PM   #7  
banned

day bf wi? god that sucks....i couldnt do it id have to re-route my wi so i could enjoy. thats why weekends are so hard for me bc we eat out and i like to enjoy my food
andreaphilip3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 03:40 PM   #8  
Meg

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaphilip3
day bf wi? god that sucks....i couldnt do it id have to re-route my wi so i could enjoy. thats why weekends are so hard for me bc we eat out and i like to enjoy my food
Hmmm, any reason why you can't enjoy reasonable and moderate portions of healthy food? And enjoy relaxing and being with friends? Enjoying food doesn't have to mean overeating, you know.

If you don't enjoy what you're doing to lose the weight - your food and exercise plans - you won't be able to keep the weight off once you reach goal. Plain and simple. The only way to maintain a weight loss is to keep doing what you did to lose the weight. If you don't enjoy it now, how are you going to keep it up for the rest of your life?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 03:56 PM   #9  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

I'm with you Meg

I go out to dinner most Friday nights with my husband, and my weekly weigh in is Saturday morning. Healthy food can be yummy!! If it's not, I think you're doing something wrong My favorite mexican restaurant makes a divine steak soft taco that's as healthy as anything I make at home. It's a steamed corn tortilla filled with lean grilled steak and a mound of fresh salsa and a slice of avocado. I usually get it with a side of black beans, hold the cheese. It's yummy and satisfying.

If I'm in the mood for a drink I have one, I just make sure I've allowed for the calories in the other food choices I've made that day.
Tani is offline   Reply With Quote