Old 10-11-2005, 06:37 PM   #1  
Journey To The Thin Me

S/C/G: 252/234/140

Height: 5'4

Default What's good for an Ice Cream Fix?

Ok.. I love ice cream, but I have cut it out of my diet. I have always noticed the lower fat, no sugar kind. Well, what I am wanting to know is: What kinds of lower fat ice cream products would you all recommend. I would like to be able to have some once in awhile or I may just have to buy a pint of Ben & Jerry's and devour the whole thing. THat would pretty much take care of my alloted calories for the day. Please share some goodies for an ice cream addict.
AnnieFannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 06:55 PM   #2  

I eat Weight Watchers Ice Cream Bars and Healthy Choice Ice Cream Bars. I think they are pretty good, I know there are others out there, I look alot at the Nutrition facts and watch the fat content and sugar content. Since I am on Weight Watchers, and I count points, the bars are already figured point wise and I just calculate the others by the Nutrion Facts and use the pointsfinder.
aprildawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 07:06 PM   #3  

I've fallen in love with CalSmart Ice Cream by Breyers. It has great flavor, especially the vanilla (with vanilla bean specks!), quite good texture, and because it uses Splenda, only 70 calories for an entire half-cup serving! It's not cheap, but my local grocery store puts it on sale on a regular basis, and I stock up. Add a little Hershey's Lite Syrup and you've got a great sundae as well.

I've also been enjoying Health Smart bars by Blue Bunny, in the lemon/lime/orange shebert flavor. Blue Bunny isn't actually available in my regular stores (or anywhere on the West Coast), so I must confess that I found these bars at the Grocery Outlet - but they're really great! A nice big bar for 70 calories, again made with Splenda, and really yummy.
AprilN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 07:16 PM   #4  

April?
Do you know if Walmart has that CalSmart? It sounds good. Or do you know if there is a website so I can find the stores that handle it?

Lisa
aprildawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 09:01 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 198/150/140

Edy's/Dreyer's Slow Churned Light is really good too and they have a ton of flavors. The latest seasonal one is orange and cream sherbert...mmm good stuff and I think 90 cals per serving? I am with you on the ice cream issue but I generally buy ice cream bars for portion control. Blue Bunny Root Beer Bars and PB Bars are yummy!
lizzbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 09:20 PM   #6  
banned

personally....i recommend 1 serving of the real thing
andreaphilip3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 09:28 PM   #7  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

Hi,

When I get the urge for ice cream, I have a VERY small amount (1/4 cup = 65 calories) of Haggen Daz Chocolate Sorbet. It has NO fat and has the most intense, dense chocolate taste, so a little goes a long way. For a snack, I'll occasionally have 1/4 cup on 1/2 a sliced banana - yum
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 09:34 PM   #8  

I used to consider ice cream a food group and was appalled that Ben and Jerry's was not included in the food pyramid. Now, I love to blend in the food processor a cut up frozen banana, some frozen berries, a small amount of cream (like 1-2 T.), and a small handful of nuts to make ice cream. Recently, I treated myself to a tiny scoop of chocolate full-fat ice cream and that 1 tiny scoop was plenty rich and plenty satisfying for me after a summer of the above version.
irishgreengables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 03:09 AM   #9  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgreengables
I used to consider ice cream a food group and was appalled that Ben and Jerry's was not included in the food pyramid.

AMEN!

I love the Haagen-Daz Light Ice Creams... they could've fooled me for full-fat versions (however, the calorie savings aren't that big--230 per 1/2 cup for the light as opposed to 310+ for the regular). My fave is the light mint chip--cool refreshing and just enough chocolate to temper my cravings.

They are also sold by the pints, so even on a splurge spree you won't be doing THAT much damage.
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 01:04 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl73160
Do you know if Walmart has that CalSmart? It sounds good. Or do you know if there is a website so I can find the stores that handle it?
I haven't seen it at Walmart or Target, only in Safeway, Albertson's, and other "regular" grocery stores.

You can visit the Breyer's site, which has a store locator - plug in your ZIP code and select one of the CalSmart products, and it should tell you if any of your local stores carry it. I tried Oklahoma City as a test, and several Albertsons stores carry at least the Vanilla CalSmart.

HTH!
AprilN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 01:08 PM   #11  
Journey To The Thin Me

S/C/G: 252/234/140

Height: 5'4

I just want to say thanks so far for those that have helped me in my quest for lower fat ice cream ideas. You don't know how much I appreciate it. I have to do some investigating to see if any of the locals stores carry any of the brands that have been mentioned. I may have to have some ice cream later in the week.
AnnieFannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 02:00 PM   #12  
Working My Way Back Down

Lizzbabe, I checked the slow churned last night and it's 105 cal for 1/2 cup. However, they have coffee which is my favorite flavor. But ice cream is not a "gotta have it" food for me, though it is for my DH, so we always have it in the house.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 02:11 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 198/150/140

On the slow-churned light ice cream, they all range depending on flavor...I know because I won a promotion with the company and had TWELVE tubs of the stuff in my freezer over the summer! Talk about temptation. But from what I remember the orange and cream and the vanilla were the lowest. French Silk was delicious too...
I *wish* it wasn't a "gotta have it" food and my BF doesn't help every time he says "hey wanna go to TCBY?"

The funny part is...I lived in Vermont for 4 years and even though I toured the B&J factory several times it was never a trigger food for me. I grew up eating store brand ice creams so those really rich ones aren't for me!
lizzbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 02:56 PM   #14  

I like the sugar free fudgesicles myself. They are yummy.
AndreaS30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 03:30 PM   #15  
Cynical RedHead

I really like the "No Pudge" brand of fudgesicles. They are a big bar, and only 60 calories with no fat.
FishWoman is offline   Reply With Quote