Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 10-09-2005, 08:35 AM   #1  

Default Facts on Fat - Coconut oil (Lauric Acid)

http://www.alienview.net/xzfat.html

Coconut oil (Lauric Acid) -- This medium chain FA (12 carbon atoms) is found in coconut and mother's milk.

This misunderstood and magical stuff should be in a class all its own because even though it is a saturated fat, it doesn't act like one. This is because being only twelve atoms long it can be easily broken down by saliva and stomach acid without needing your, sometimes scarce, enzymes.

That is why it is in mother's milk because an infants desaturase enzyme system doesn't work very well, making long chain FAs hard to digest. Medium chain FAs do not need to be bundled into lipoproteins and deposited into the blood stream for further processing!

Consequently, it can't make you fat or stick to your arteries because it never enters the bloodstream! Instead it goes straight to the liver and is able to zip quickly through the mitochoandria membrane, to provide INSTANT energy!

The long chain FAs take a long time to break down because they require enzymes that may have already been used up, so the fat becomes FAT... and not ENERGY. Medium chain FAs or medium chain triglycerides (MCT) can help you lose weight through thermo-genesis. An analogy can be made with a wood fire. Long chain FAs are like throwing wet logs on the fire, but medium chain FAs are more like throwing on gas soaked newspapers.

Consequently, you not only get a big burst of energy, but the aforementioned wet-logs (long chain FAs) are also consumed by the fire and heat. So, all things being equal -- YOU LOSE WEIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!

Medium chain FAs also improve the Omega 6 prostaglandin pathway, causing Omega 6 to accumulate in the tissue where it belongs even when levels of EFA are low.
lunaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 11:41 AM   #2  
banned

i just bought some tp rub on my hands as i have a nasty skin prob due to thyroid and its all that helps
andreaphilip3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 08:37 PM   #3  

Default Coconut oil

It might be good to swallow some of it too although it does work miracles on dry brittle hair also

http://www.coconutdiet.com/weight_loss.htm
Fats for Animal Feeds

One interesting way to study the role of fats and their affect on weight loss or weight gain is to study the animal feed industry. If ever there was a group of people with economic interest in weight gain, it is the livestock industry.

Back in the days when fat was “in,” the fatter the pig you could raise the better. Lard was a basic staple for cooking in the days of our forefathers. It was found that feeding pigs polyunsaturated fats (primarily soybean and corn oil) would put more fat on them. This is the reaction of the longer chain fatty acids found in vegetable oils, and is well documented in the scientific literature.

Today however, we’ve come full circle with our new low-fat mantra, and the consumer demand is now for low-fat meats. So how does one produce a leaner pork? Well according the Department of Animal Science of North Carolina State University, during the “finishing time” before slaughter, you stop feeding them polyunsaturated oils and start feeding them saturated fats.3 They used beef tallow in their experiment, which they found was a bit hard for the pigs to digest. So some farmers are now actually starting to use coconut oil, a plant-based saturated fat, instead.

So what are the fats found on the shelves of grocery stores today, that make up the majority of the US diet? Polyunsaturated fats: mostly soybean oil, which commonly is referred to as vegetable oil.

These are the same fats that have been known to fatten livestock in the animal feed business. The saturated fats, which made up most of the fats in the diet of our forefathers, have been almost banned by modern nutrition advice. The result: LEAN PIGS AND OBESE PEOPLE!!!!!!!
lunaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 11:00 PM   #4  
banned

i used to eat it and gag so i cant. as for hair i massage in 1 T olive oil b/f shampooing.
andreaphilip3 is offline   Reply With Quote