Old 10-09-2005, 04:24 AM   #1  
Obsessive Poster

Red face Painfully Shy Newbie

It is after four in the morning, but if I don't put myself out here immediately, I will be too scared to follow through. I currently weigh 248 lbs. My goal is to lose 103 more. Once I've done that, I'm going to decide if that is enough/too much. I'm 21 years old, and when I recently reached 255 lbs, I realized that it was time to do something before I get completely out of control. I also am in the middle of a health scare. I decided that I don't want to die young and fat. If things end up being as serious as I (possibly irrationally) fear, I'm determined to at least be at a healthy weight.

I feed my feelings. I eat when I'm bored or upset. My family are all thin and seem to live off of cake. There is always dangerously tempting food in the house. I also really love condiments. These will probably be my biggest challenges now that I've (hopefully?) found the support that I need.

I've seen so many inspirations on this site. I know I can do this. We can all do this. I don't think I can do it alone, though. I look forward to supporting all of you and getting support in return.
WinterWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 07:58 AM   #2  

Welcome,
I undestand the shy thing. I don't post much, mosty read other post for support. But this a great much of people here and they will give you all the support you need. You just have to come get it. I too, feed my emotions but am working on dealing with my emotions in other ways, Like taking a walk or picking up a book when I get mad or board instead of reaching for food.
jmacway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 08:07 AM   #3  

Hi shy person. I'm shy too so we already have something in common! You also weigh less than I do so you are ahead of me there also. You are going to have a challenge with high calorie food in the house but you'll just have to take it a day at a time. A family of skinny people would be a drag because I'm sure they do not have a clue about how hard this can be.

May I suggest you go on over to the Fitday.com site and start of food log. It's free and it has helped me so much. Like you I am an emotional eater so I found that if I put down what I was taking in every day it helps keeps me aware of what I was doing. It has also helped with the portion control issue too. Exercise has been a big help. I find if I exercise it works off a lot of that emotion and I am less hungry. I am so glad you have decided to join our little group. I am pretty new myself but it seems everyone if very kind and supportive.
f(x) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 08:39 AM   #4  

Hi,
I also highly recommed keeping a food journal. I started doing this the other day. I not only write down what I'm eating and when, but how I'm feeling. I found out that I eat the most when I'm bored. And when my husband is at work in the evenings, I think it's open season on the refrigerator! Of course I already knew that I was doing these things, but writing them down is really helping me to face what I'm doing.
amylizmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 09:07 AM   #5  
wip

Height: 5' 10"

Thumbs up

Welcome. You will find this an inspiring and sometimes, hmm not sure how to say it. Very real site. Folks will challenge each other on how they view things, share new ideas, and stretch each others horizons. All in a very supportive way. Read and share as you are comfortable. It's amazing how quickly I missed it when I was away a few days. Great support. Good luck!
wip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 10:37 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 208

Height: 5'3

Hi Shy.... My name is Barb, and I am a lot older than you but our goals are very similar, I also started out at 250 something and hope to be at goal by my sons wedding in july (145).. I belong to Tops, and I would encourage you to attend a meeting where you live... they give wonderful support and we have a lot of fun with our challenges and contests......its very inexpensive too.... check out the Tops forum on here.....it helps to know your not alone... and good luck with your weight loss journey... keep me posted, India/Barb
Indiacatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 11:14 AM   #7  

Hi Painfully Shy,

This is the best place to be and no need to be shy here. Everyone is in the same situation as you. I just started with Jenny Craig on 10/6 and i haven't had my first weigh in but i am 271.3 lbs at my initial consultation. I decided i had enough with being tired all the time and in constant pain. My body was telling me it had enough and i want to get healthy as well. I am 38 years old and 5 ft 2 in tall. I have a struggle ahead of me and i want to make sure this is accomplished by 40. I heard after a certain age weight reduction is very tough.
Eliegirl2PMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 11:40 AM   #8  

If there is any group of people who can help you get over you shyness it is this one! I haven't been posting at the 100 lb. club for long but everyone has been so warm, welcoming, and supportive. If you need a saftety net of people to help you reach your goal weight you are in the right place! Welcome!
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 11:46 AM   #9  
missaprylj

Welcome to the 100lb. Club!
Old 10-09-2005, 12:23 PM   #10  
for me, for them

S/C/G: 345/ticker

Height: 5'10"

Thumbs up Welcome!

Hi WinterWonder. I too am very new, very shy, and 21. I want to lose about 108 pounds so we have a close "loss goal". If you need support or just a chat feel free to send me a pm. Otherwise, good luck with this endeavor and I have all the faith in the world that we can do it!
Shannon
ScarlettDrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 12:29 PM   #11  
Tenacious

Welcome to the forum! Jump in when you feel like it and when you don't feel comfortable posting at least read through the threads because you will find other posts that reflect things you are going through that will help you. I highly recommend that you join in on the weekly weigh-in thread and/or the points challenge thread to help keep you accountable to yourself.
DeterminedInGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 01:40 PM   #12  
Obsessive Poster

I'm feeling slightly pathetic at this moment, but all of your support has made me cry. I really wasn't expecting any responses, and I'm so thankful that you all took the time to encourage the new girl.

I've created a fitday.com account. I used to have one, but I've forgotten the password. I'm currently trying South Beach. Being able to eat as much as I want of even just a few foods in the first few weeks will definitely help me get into the diet groove without feeling overwhelmed. I'll definitely look into the above suggestions, though.

I'm really too choked up to post right now.
Old 10-09-2005, 01:51 PM   #13  

WinterWonder do you have a specific food plan in mind? I'd love to know because then maybe we can swap recipes. As far as exercise goes I started in very little steps. I was way too embarrassed to have anyone see me work out so I began doing walks in the early morning. The only one to witness my fat was the paper boy and he was no doubt baffled to see a fat lady huffing and puffing out there in the dark. Now I feel more confident and am actually taking a gym class. The first class was no ways near as bad as I thought it would be and I was very pleased to see lots of other overweight people there too.
Old 10-09-2005, 02:08 PM   #14  

Wow, I guess we were posting at the same time so I missed your plan about South Beach. I'm doing vegetarian so I may not be a big help but I have great veg recipes if you want to increase your vegetable intake. I am surprised that you thought no one would answer your post! We are all in the same boat. It can be tough because society pressures us so much about our weight and then we beat ourselves up too. It is very easy to get into feelings of worthlessness or unworthiness. Just because someone judges us on weight does not make that judgment true. I look at it from the point of view that I may be fat but they are acting like cruel bigots which is much more ugly. It is hard to remember our worth is not measured by a number on the scale but by what kind of people we are.
Old 10-09-2005, 02:27 PM   #15  
Obsessive Poster

My older sister is a vegetarian, so I actually know a lot of vegetarian recipes. I would welcome more, though. There is a very lovely Risotto dish that I'm planning on making the second I'm in the right phase.

I guess I just worry that I'm so shy that I won't be able to get involved in the community. Everyone here is so nice, though. I don't think I'll have too much trouble fitting in after all.