Old 10-07-2005, 05:53 AM   #1  

Default Pardon while I whine

I threw my low back out on Monday and am a total mess. I just turned the wrong way and all of a sudden I can hardly sit or stand. I have had this before so I know that the best thing to do is to just go to bed until the muscle spasm lets up. The problem is I can't exercise and I am eating like a pig. The whole thing is very discouraging since I was really making great progress on my program. I am so afraid I will gain back a bunch of weight. The doctor gave me some muscle relaxants which helps the pain but from prier experience I know they really pack on the pounds. At least there is no really fattening foods in the house so that is a blessing. I can't drive so that is also a blessing since I can't get a bunch of junk food. Mostly what I am pigging on is cheese, peanut butter and bread. Those have a million calories to say the least. I have been trying to get up and make some healthy meals but I just can't stand that long. I am out of fruit and those great bagged salads and also low cal soups so there is nothing easy to grab but fattening stuff. I am also sure there is a large element of wanting comfort food and being bored which also makes me want to eat. Does any on have any suggestions so I don't totally blow away all my hard work?
f(x) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 06:17 AM   #2  
Disney here I come!!!

I hurt my back about a week ago. I was so upset because I was finally getting up and walking and all that. Well, I had my kids put on my shoes and made little steps to the bus stop walking. It KILLED but I did it. Granted I looked about 80 walking but I tried it. Back pain is undescribable. I too wanted to just eat but luckily as well all I had was healthy food!

I dont know if you like tea but I found chai tea with some equal is sweet enough and warm enough to full my stomach. Low sodium cup of soup broth and veggies. A huge bowl of broccoli with spray butter and mrs dash. An apple and peanut butter...

hope this helped a bit and hope your feeling better real soon!
motivated.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 09:37 AM   #3  

Chai tea! What a great suggestion! I do have that both in regular and decaf. That would work great because it really can take the edge off of the desire to eat sweets. Do you make your own Chai or buy it premixed in the cartons? I use the bags because the premixed is too sweet for my taste. I love the taste of Chai like you get in restaurants but it is very high in calories due to the evaporated milk. When I serve it cold I use the tea bags and brew up a strong batch. That is tricky because it can get bitter if you over brew it. Once I have it right I cool it then mix it with either straight non-fat milk or non-fat evaporated milk if I'm going on a mini spree. For a sweetener I use Splenda. It tastes pretty darn good and has a whole lot less calories than the regular version. The only thing that is different is the "mouth feel" because of the lack of fat. This time of year I would just have to hot which is pretty tasty too. Thank you for the suggestion! I totally forgot I had it in the cupboard. I am a hard core tea drinker so I have a lot of varieties on hand. Now that I'm thinking about it I am wondering if it would taste better with the Skim Rich variety of non-fat milk. It might give it more body and be closer to the original. When I am able to drive again I'm going to get some Skim Rich and try that out. Now I am thinking about it I am totally craving it so I think I will hobble out to the kitchen and mix up a batch. Thank you because that is a thought that would never have entered my mind.

I can't stand for more than about 5 minutes or so so cooking is tough. I just remembered I have some canned stewed tomatoes in the cupboard that I can microwave and have with some scramble eggs. That's a fast one to fix and I think I can do it. I tend to buy every thing fresh so there are no frozen dinners or packaged stuff in the house. The only reason I have stewed tomatoes is because someone gave me some cans a while back. I usually make my own using my slow cooker. It seems I am into labor intensive cooking and make most everything from scratch. It is a healthy way to eat but not to hot when your in a situation like this. Thanks again for ideas. Now you've got me thinking.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:43 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

My sympathies! I have been having some back issues this week, and had exactly the fears you describe, though luckily the pain is not bad and I can function.

Is there anyone you could ask to go to the store for you to pick up some of the fruits and veggies??

In the meantime, just keep reminding yourself that this is a temporary setback and that you can and will get back on the path. Good luck!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 11:40 AM   #5  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

I'm sorry, I know too well what it is like to have back problems. When I first broke my back I made the mistake of eating and eating and I gained 120 lbs of the 190 lbs back that I had lost. I know it is a hard thing to go though. You are in control here. You don't have to exercise to lose weight. I have lost 227 lbs with not much exercise at all. I've tried to get into a plan and I know it's good for you but with my back and lazyness I just can't seem to get there. Anyway the key is to know how much you can eat for the level of activity you are doing. So that said, being that you are laid up stop munching and eat 400 or 500 less calories a day and I'm sure you will be fine.

I'm not saying it will be easy I'm just saying life will continue to send us trials and we have to learn how to react to them. I have really been fighting this battle myself so I speak from experinece. The biggest part of the battle is already won. You came here knowing that what you were doing was not right. So get back at what you know is right and continue on. Never, NEVER, EVER, GIVE UP!
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 11:40 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Oww. I ditto seeing if a neighbor or someone can go to the store for you to get you some healthier foods.
I hope you get to feeling better soon.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 01:20 PM   #7  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

You've already gotten some great advice!! Feel better soon!!!!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 02:02 PM   #8  

Ooooh, poor thing! I've put mine out several times before too, what a horrible, helpless feeling! I hope it feels better really soon. But, in the mean time, take it easy and don't try to do too much too soon.

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 02:21 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Sounds terribly painful, f(x). Don't have any suggestions for you, but I hope that you feel better soon.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 03:09 PM   #10  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

HUGS, f(x)!

I don't have much to add to the great advice you received already, but I want you to know you're in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy and complete recovery...

Don't give up! If anyone knows about this..it's Howie..and he's so right

xoxoxox
Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 05:33 PM   #11  

Thank you for all your kind thoughts. Here is what I came up with for a plan. There is no one to go to the store for me so that is a no go however I have a good pantry and if I make things a little at a time I should be ok. I decided to make some Dal in my slow cooker. It is easy to make and has does not need a lot of chopping to get the ingredients together. I put an onion and in the food chopper along with some garlic. Then I took a rest. I had to lay down but when I could get up I added the lentils and broth. It is on the go now and I made a big batch. I love Dal so I m sure I will eat it. I should be able to get several meals from it. I have some sugar free chutney which is wonderful and will add to the taste. I realized that if I cook by small degrees I should be able to get some healthy foods. My next idea is to make some low cal hummus which is also a quick one and chop up a big bunch of celery all at once so I can just grab it. Thanks again you guys for getting me thinking and listening to me whine.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:23 PM   #12  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Dal is one of my FAVORITE recipes in the slow cooker.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 11:06 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess Jessica
Dal is one of my FAVORITE recipes in the slow cooker.
Oh good another fan! I eat a lot of Dal. It is so good for you and is high in protein too. What recipe do you use? I like mine pretty spicy but I am always on the look out for new ways to make it.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:53 AM   #14  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

Okay, I know I'm not alone in asking this...What is Dal?

Your plan sounds great!
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 06:52 AM   #15  
Tenacious

I don't have any advise, but I hope you get to feeling better soon!
DeterminedInGA is offline   Reply With Quote