Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2001, 02:19 AM   #1  

Angry Feisty & Sexy 50 & 60 yr. old #132

G’day all,

Good to hear I am not the only way that does not always read the posts properly

Lily the tapes I got are Australian ones. One is low impact aerobics, another body sculpt and the third is light aerobics. They are all fairly similar and the only reason I am able to do them is because I did very similar classes for quite some time at a gym. I am quite enjoying it and I do hope I will shift some weight. I am sort of stuck at the moment.

Slavika Pleased to hear your back is much better. I hate to tell you but our days are getting longer and spring is but around the corner I have never heard of strawberry rhubarb, it sounds good though.

Trudy good to see you post but sorry to hear you haven’t been well. Can you do something about the hiatus hernia? Take care.

Karen how do you fit all these meetings in? I don’t know if I would like to be committed to quite so many, it is one very good way of keeping at goal. Sorry to hear about your aunt. It is no fun getting old if you don’t have reasonable health. I can cope with the odd ache and pain but her illness sounds very serious to have to be now permanently in a nursing home.

This morning I have been shopping and I am all set to go into hospital with some very jazzy pj’s. There is such cool night ware around that you could almost wear out. The birthdays for my children’s partners are organised. I bought tickets for a concert for dd’s partner and a gift voucher for son’s partner. Son and partner are going to Mt Everest base camp at Christmas so the gift voucher is to spend in an outdoor shop. I cannot believe how expensive all that sort of stuff is

Have a great day all
Cheers
Maria
Old 08-22-2001, 08:50 AM   #2  

Hi all, Back from the castle. It was quit an amazing place. It was set on 50 acres up on a hill. Just to get up there was a feat in itself. Was decorated with antiques in all the rooms. Ours was nice and was good exercise up 2 flights of stairs. Would like to have had a balcony like our friends rooms had. Breakfast was always by candlelight. The only bad thing was I got a cold and had stomach pains. We went to Hocking Hills park and walked a lot. There are a lot of caves and falls. To get to them you have to climb down some pretty nasty trails. There are no handrails or anything. They have steps carved out of the rocks. In some places it drops off 50-100 feet. It amazes me of the parents who don't watch their kids. Sort of scary to see them running and sliding around. Ann the cookies sound yummy. Going to print it off. Looks like you are learning how to use your computer. I am still a dummy. Karen you must see yourself coming and going. You are one busy lady. Slavika glad your back is better. The lake sounds so nice and relaxing. Maria you sound mentally ready for the foot thing. New p.j.'s are a good thing. After all a girl had to look good at all times. Glenda I hope the court thing goes the right way. Caleb has been through enough. Hi Lily and Trudy and Geri. Talk later,
Old 08-22-2001, 11:07 AM   #3  
Life Time 2001

Slavika: See the last of your Rubarb is gone, summer is ending
Sounds like you had a great tea time!

Trudy: Sorry to hear you are having problems. Hope what the DR gave you helps. You take care of yourself!

Karen: Sounds like a shortage of Leaders. I guess new lifetimers arent signing up there? Or are they all going for the receptionsts jobs?
So sorry to hear about your Aunt.

Maria: Oh, new jazzy Pj's! Sounds like you are ready for the hospital!

Peggy: Your trip sounds like it was wonderful! That room really does sound nice. And the hikes you took sound scary but fun.

Best get to work. Later!
Old 08-22-2001, 12:58 PM   #4  
Fun Blonde

Guys, I meant to update you on the court thing. I actually thought I already had. The bad guy's lawyer said she was unprepared and wanted to "waive" the closing arguments. This, after everyone had taken off work and was at the courthouse. Lori, the mother, would only agree if she got the money that she was awarded from their joint checking account 3 years earlier. Can you believe this? She had never gotten it and he just wouldn't give it to her. Anyway, she got her money, the closing arguments were waived, and the judge will make his decision by Sept. 17th. Keep fingers crossed.

Trudy, what is GERD? Sorry you are having a bit of a problem. And about your aunt.

Slavika - our university started 3 days ago and we just have a feeling of fall in the air. For me it is always just a bit depressing because winter isn't too far away. Tell Dee we miss her. How is her family, especially her daughter, doing?

Karen - Hate to ask this, but could you repeat the cucumber recipe. I bought the stuff--think it was only cucumber, tomatoe, and dillweed--but lost the recipe. Loved the idea of zero points. Karen, don't volunteer for more than you can handle. Remember when you retired to relax?

Maria - sounds like you are busy organizing your life around your foot surgery. Good for you. I am having a toe that curls straightened in October. Right now when I walk I could almost pass out by the end of the walk from the pain in one darned toe. The toe was caused by bunions which I have had corrected. How long will you be in the hospital?

Hi, Lily, Anne, etc. Talk to you later.
Glenda
Old 08-22-2001, 05:03 PM   #5  
Super Surfer

Default ..another really nice day

Hi everyone...
The weather has been hot again. There was a hail storm and damaging winds in the south part of the city where my DD lives. We just got some noise but watched the lightening.
Glenda GERD is Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease. Because of the Hiatus Hernia, the stomach acids back up into the oesophagus causing problems. If not looked after it can turn into Barrett's Oesophagus, which is a cancer.
Maria there is nothing to do to cure Hiatus Hernia. In some cases surgery was done to repair the tear, but it didn't last. It is also major surgery because they have to cut into the breast bone to get at the hernia. Not an option. Everyone just has to learn to live with it, and what not to eat. I have a sneaky suspicion that chocolate may be something I should stay away from.... but how? YIKES!
Karen My Doc prescribed Losec for 2 months to heal the stomach and oesophagus, then we will see. I should know in about 2 weeks whether or not I feel good. If there is no improvement she will make an appointment for an Endoscopy, sure hope it doesn't come to that. Glad to hear your treatment has worked for you. I am going to keep positive thoughts.
Isn't Creutfeldt-Jacob Disease what Britain calls Mad Cow Disease? So sorry about your Aunt.
Peggy Too bad you got a cold while at the castle. You sure did get in a lot of climbing exercise. Sure sounded great, I would like to do that too.
Slavika How was your day? I am sure you enjoyed your lunch and afternoon with your good friend. Didn't you find it hot out? When I was opening the back door, I could hardly touch the metal.
We ate out at lunchtime today. It is 4:00 and I have NO IDEA what to make for supper. Do I hear Kraft Dinner and weiners calling???

Bye for now ....
Old 08-22-2001, 10:54 PM   #6  
Net browser

Default ...beautiful sunny summer day

Hi Everybody
Well, what a gorgeous day we had today....then just a short while ago our Son came over to show us the "second" car he just bought and we could hardly stand to be in the driveway the mosquitoes were so bad. The newspaper said, that if you are outside chances are you will be bitten 8 times in one minute. Trust me..........that is correct. You stand outside waving your arms, and stamping your feet, it looks like you are doing some kind of new strange dance.......
As usual my Wednesday outing was nice. A new store has opened in the City that sells, bath, bedroom and kitchen things....very nice. Even if you "JUST" bought a new comforter, you would likely see something in that store that you liked better. Isn't that always the way. Glenda hi there. I saw Dee last week and her and her family had just returned from a lovely holiday. Her daughter will soon be back in school for the new school year.
My back is a little bit sore tonight, but I walked a lot today when I was out and then worked around the house a bit when I got home. I recently watched the movie "O Brother Where Art Thou", and I sure enjoyed the music. Did any of you watch it, and what did you think??
I'll say good night now, talk to you all tomorrow.
P.S. Trudy have to tell you DH thinks Kraft dinner and wieners for dinner constitutes a gourmet meal.
Old 08-22-2001, 10:57 PM   #7  

Just wanted to post this web site so you can read about CJD
http://www.cjd.ed.ac.uk/booklet.htm

I Need to go to bed will post when I have more time.
Karen
Old 08-22-2001, 11:34 PM   #8  

G'day all

Nice to read so many posts this morning. I did notice that Ann was not amongst the posters, hope she getting her computer set up OK.

Glenda your 'curly' toe, you make it sound like having to have curly hair straightened . Good luck with it, it sounds painful having a 'curly' toe but no doubt it will also be somewhat painful having it fixed I am going in on the Tuesday (September 4) and will be operated on that morning at 11 am. I am told I will be in hospital for 2 or 3 days. Because of not being in my home town, I am going to see if I can stay in till the weekend, then dh will be able to help me when I get out on the weekend.
I am almost looking forward to having this done. My feet have been particularly bad the last few weeks with the very cold weather we are having.
My biggest worry is how do I go to the 'loo'????? I go so many times, at least 3 or 4 times during the night and of course during the day with the drinking of the water, numerous trips as well.
Glenda let me know how you managed when you had your bunions done.

Talking of loo's it reminded me of a letter to the editor in this morning paper. The threat of water restrictions is very real and this reader wrote his water saving suggestion:

"Remember the old 'if it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down'. Better still, wee in the garden and return valuable nutrients to the soil. I estimate garden wees and mellow yellows would save about 30 million litres of water a day."

Apologies to those of you that are reading this at a mealtime

Peggy you did quite a bit of walking, good to hear you enjoyed yourself.

Slavika mozzies, how I hate them and how they love me.

Trudy what a surprise that chocolate may make you hernia worse you didn't really think it would be of benefit did you
By the way I have had an endoscopy and I didn't think it was any big deal, so don't be too concerned if you should have to have one.

Karen thank you for posting the site on CJD disease. I had heard of it but knew very little about it. If there is such a thing as a positive with this disease, it must be that the patient is not aware of their condition and mercifully it does not linger on for many years like alzheimers sometime does. It must be very hard for your mother.

Have a great day all
Cheers
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 08-22-2001 at 11:37 PM.
Old 08-22-2001, 11:54 PM   #9  

Default it's a bit long but very funny...........

BECAUSE I AM MAN

Because I'm a man, when I lock my
keys in the car I will fiddle
with a wire clothes hanger and
ignore your suggestions that we
call a road service until long
after hypothermia has set in.

Because I'm a man, when the car
isn't running very well, I will
pop the hood and stare at the
engine as if I know what I'm
looking at. If another man shows
up, one of us will say to the
other, "I used to be able to fix
these things, but now with all
these computers and everything, I
wouldn't know where to start." We
will then drink beer.

Because I'm a man, when I catch a
cold I need someone to bring me
soup and take care of me while I
lie in bed and moan. You never
get as sick as I do, so for you
this isn't an issue.

Because I'm a man, I can be
relied upon to purchase basic
groceries at the store, like milk
or bread. I cannot be expected to
find exotic items like "Cumin" or
"Tofu". For all I know these are
the same thing. And never, under
any circumstances, expect me to
pick up anything for which
"feminine hygiene product" is a
euphemism.

Because I'm a man, when one of
our appliances stops working I
will insist on taking it apart,
despite evidence that this will
just cost me twice as much once
the repair person gets here and
has to put it back together.

Because I'm a man, I must hold
the television remote control in
my hand while I watch TV. If the
thing has been misplaced, I may
miss a whole show looking for it
(though one time I was able to
survive by holding a calculator).

Because I'm a man, there is no
need to ask me what I'm thinking
about. The answer is always
either sex, racing, or football,
though I have to make up
something else when you ask, so
don't.

Because I'm a man, I do not want
to visit your mother, or have
your mother come visit us, or
talk to her when she calls, or
think about her any more than I
have to. Whatever you got her for
mother's day is okay, I don't
need to see it. And don't forget
to pick up something for my Mom
too!!

Because I'm a man, you don't have
to ask me if I liked the movie.
Chances are, if you're crying at
the end of it, I didn't.

Because I'm a man, I think what
you're wearing is fine. I thought
what you were wearing five
minutes ago was fine, too. Either
pair of shoes is fine. With the
belt or without it looks fine.
Your hair is fine. You look fine.
Can we just go now?

Because I'm a man, and this is a
world of equality, I will share
equally in the housework. You
just do the laundry, the cooking,
the gardening, the cleaning, and
the dishes. I'll do the rest. ***

I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.
Cheers
Maria
Old 08-23-2001, 12:48 AM   #10  
Net browser

Default ....Maria thanks for the laugh

Hi Maria I came back for one last peek. For me it is almost midnight and for you it's morning. How strange! I have never heard of mosquitoes being called MOZZIES .........I've heard them being called lots of things LOL and have called them by some of those names myself from time to time. Is it a name that everybody uses or just you????
I also loved the the little humour story you posted.....all true, very true.
Good night again.
Old 08-23-2001, 01:00 AM   #11  

Slavika Everyone in Australia knows what MOZZIES are. As I wrote it I wondered if you use the term, obviously not
For some reason Aussies often put 'IES' on the end of things ie:
Barbie (bar-be-que) Scholzie (dh's nickname) tellie (tv) footie (football) cardie (cardigan), I am sure there are many more but cannot think of any just now.

When I just got the email to say there had been a posting on 3FC, I wondered who was still up
I always think how strange it is you going to bed and I am thinking what to have for dinner

Nightie night (another word with 'ie' on the end )

Maria
Old 08-23-2001, 12:36 PM   #12  

Maria your poem is just too funny. It seems men are the same the world over. I think they are born with the remote in their hands. I have never heard the word "mozzie" either. I like it. Trudy I hope you are feeling better. Your dinner sounded good to me. That was my married son's favorite. I just checked in real quick. My friend signed us up for a craft show Sept. 9. Do not have anything ready so I have to go look through boxes and see what is left over and start sewing up those snowmen. My dh just left to make the legs for them. So if I am not around I am being held prisoner in my basement till then.
Old 08-23-2001, 11:11 PM   #13  
Super Surfer

Default Just like a man..LOL

Maria..that is so true, my DH qualifies for most of it..especially taking apart appliances and holding the remote all evening.
Karen ..thanks for the info on CJD - I didn't realize that it was that common, just thought you got it in Britain from eating meat from cows who had scabbies.
Peggy..you have an interesting life, one week you are in a castle, the next in the basement making snowmen. No doubt it is what keeps you young.
Slavika..did you read in yesterday's paper about the two teenagers who had to evacuate a plane in Miami? They were my Pastor's children. They had been at Disneyworld for a week. At the time of take off there was a lightening storm so there was a delay. They stayed on the plane and when it was OK the pilot started down the runway, that is when the cabin started to fill with smoke. They were able to stop the plane and put out the shoots where the passengers slid to safety. Other than a sprained ankle the kids were ok. What an experience.

Hope everyone had a great day... goodnight.
Old 08-23-2001, 11:34 PM   #14  

Default when I am on a roll........

there is no stopping me

I found the following and thought I would enlighten you all what working conditions were like in this colony

DALGETY AUSTRALIA LTD
MERCHANTS & SHIPS CHANDLERS, SYDNEY TOWN
CLERICAL STAFF
EMPLOYMENT CONDITIONS

1. Godliness, cleanliness and punctuality are the necessities of good business.

2. On the recommendation of the Governor of this Colony, this firm has reduced the hours of work, and the Clerical Staff will now only have to be present between the hours of 7a.m. and 6p.m on weekdays. The Sabbath is for Worship, but should any Man-of-War require victualling, the Clerical Staff will work on the Sabbath.

3. Daily prayers will be held each morning in the Main Office. The Clerical Staff will be present.

4. Clothing must be of a sober nature. The Clerical Staff will not disport themselves in raiment of bright colours, nor will they wear hose unless in good repair.

5. Overshoes and top-coats may be worn in inclement weather.

6. A stove is provided for the benefit of the Clerical Staff. Coal and wood must be kept in the locker. It is recommended that each member of the Clerical Staff bring four pounds of coal each day during the cold weather.

7. No member of the Clerical Staff may leave the room without permission from Mrs McIntyre. The calls of nature are permitted, and the Clerical Staff may use the garden below the second gate. This area must be kept in good order.

8. No talking is allowed during business hours.

9. The craving for tobacco, wines and spirits is a human weakness, and as such, is forbidden to all members of the Clerical Staff.

10. Now that the hours of business have been drastically reduced the partaking of food is allowed between 11.30 and noon, but work will not on any account cease.

11. Members of the Clerical Staff will provide their own pens. A new sharpener is available on application to Mrs Mcintyre.

12. Mrs McIntyre will nominate a Senior Clerk to be responsible for the cleanliness of the Main Office and the Private Office, and all boys and juniors will report to him 40 minutes before prayers, and will remain after closing for similar work. Brushes, brooms, scrubbers and soap will be provided by the owners.

13. The new increased weekly wages are hereunder detailed: Junior Boys to 11 years 1/4, Boys to 14 years 2/1, Juniors 4/8, Junior Clerks 8/7, Clerks 10/9, Senior Clerks after 15 years with owners 21/-.

The Owners hereby recognise the generosity of the new Labour Laws, but it will expect a great rise in output of work to compensate for these near-Utopian conditions.

How times have changed, I am trying to picture rule #7 and keeping the area in good order

See ya all
Maria
Old 08-23-2001, 11:57 PM   #15  
Net browser

Hi Everybody
I went out to lunch and shopping with another friend today. This friend likes to go into EVERY store in the Mall regardless as what it sells. YIKES! The Mall we went to is MUCH bigger then the one I go to on Wednesdays so it took much longer to make the rounds. I am one tired lady tonight and my back is not too pleased with me either. LOL
Tomorrow I am going to spend the weekend with a friend at the lake. Her husband is going away, and my DH is going to stay home and paint our fence. seems fair to me, don't you think? LOL
BROTHER!!! I think I talked DH into going to Maui for a month and then TRUDY tells the story about her pastor's children. That's the part I hate about going to Hawaii......we have fly there. Thank goodness the children were ok.
MARIA LOL LOL yes, what about No. 7. Thanks for posting it.
Well I'm off to bed. Night all.
Closed Thread