View Single Post
Old 10-06-2005, 10:59 PM   #13
phantastica
hara hachi bu

Default Kirstie Alley Soup

I have a hard time getting all of my vegetables in, so I'm always on the lookout for low-fat vegetable recipes. Here's one I found on Kirstie Alley's whatever-diet-she's-on web site. I just call it Kirstie Alley Soup:

organic chicken broth (fat free), bok choy, leeks, cilantro, celery, garlic and pepper

With any broth based soup, begin with a broth. Canned chicken broth or make a homemade vegetarian broth. (To make a veggie broth, simmer vegetables in a pan until they are lifeless, you simply want them to give up their good stuff to the broth, drain, discard the used veggies and bay leaves)
Add to the broth 2 Garlic cloves, 2 bay leaves, blk pepper. Add one diced leek, fresh cut up bok choy, parsley, cilantro, sliced green onions to the soup.

As far as herbs and seasonings, it really depends on the type of food you like. Mrs. Dash has great salt free seasonings that are already combined for you. The following herb mixes will give a "change" or "bit of spice" to the traditional soups:

If you like a chili taste, try paprika, tumeric, cayenne pepper, garlic, cumin, (maybe a dash of oregano) and cilantro. I also use a jalapeno pepper.

If Italian is your fav, try basil, oregano, rosemary, marjoram, and coriander.

For an exotic spice mix cardamom, cinnamon, fenugreek, allspice, tumeric, blk pepper, wht pepper, cloves, coriander, nutmeg, paprika, and cayenne pepper.

For a Cajun taste, try paprika, garlic, coriander, fenugreek, cayenne pepper, onion powder, cumin, thyme, fennel, and blk pepper.

From http://www.jennycraig.com/kirstie/ ... somewhere in there

I find it makes a great side dish for any meal, freezes well, and is easy to take to work.

Morrigan's tofu stirfry and Rabbit's salsa chicken both sound easy and delicious!

Last edited by phantastica : 10-06-2005 at 11:05 PM.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote