Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-27-2005, 10:17 AM   #1  

Smile Age 62, hopefully starting LAST DIET!

Hi, I am 62 years old, had a small stroke in 98', gained approximately 60 lbs. Have HBP and have GOT to get the weight off. My daughter started the SBD and yesterday, I found this site..decided to start the same diet. I need all the help I can get. Would love to have quick breakfast ideas, as I work and have to get up, eat and leave by 7:15 each morning. Also lunches that I can take to work. If anyone can help, I thank you in advance. Dotty
overstuffedchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 01:49 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Welcome! Check out this link for South Beach recipes.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=114
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 09:36 PM   #3  

First of all, you CAN change your life. I know a woman named Nan who just turned 80. She quit smoking about 3 months ago and is now able to take 30-minute walks every day. I know another woman named Ann who is 70 and walk/jogs up to 6 miles a day, every day. I'm not even in their league, but I'm 56, quit smoking, started walking and I've got my cholesterol and blood pressure back to normal ranges. It CAN be done and you can do it, too.

My first suggestion is to add exercise to whatever diet plan you're on. Start with a 10 minute walk every day when you get off work. Do that for a week and go to 15 minutes. Do it every single day. Work your way up to 30 minutes a day, in 5 minute increments. By then it will be a habit.

Now for food. Quick breakfast is Kashi GoLean crunch mixed in with lowfat or nofat yogurt. Throw in some blueberries or other fruit, too. Do you have a refrigerator at work? Take your own bags of salad, baby tomatoes, grapes, low fat string cheese, lite dressing, carrots, apple slices. Take cans of non-creamy soup that you can heat up. Browse through the grocery store and see what might work for you. Eat something every two or three hours and you won't binge at mealtime.
Dinahgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 11:12 PM   #4  
banned

good luck! im on ww core which is similar
andreaphilip3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 11:51 PM   #5  
wannaBaloser

Hello,
I am also new here and also 62 and of course in need of a life style change(now that it is politically incorrect to say that FOUR LETTER WORD...DIET), can you sense me chuckling??

a quick breakfast is oatmeal in the microwave or cream of wheat or cream of rice (after all colder weather is coming), but my own best favorite is a fruit smoothie: 1/2 cup frozen fruit( raspberries, blueberries, mango, peach, blackberries are what I use) plus 1/2 cup of yogurt-either low-fat or nonfat. and 3inches of banana whiz it in a processor or blender, check for flavor and add a tsp or two of either honey or one of the artificial sweeteners oh, yes if it is too thick to flow, add a 1/4 c of water. It will be aproximately 200 calories for 8 oz. The calorie aprox is due to using low fat or not fat and sometimes i add more banana if i think i need the K. This gives you protein, calcium and part of your fruit needs for the day and excellet way to begin and with some prep the night before, it takes 6.25 min to prepare and 10.4 min to drink. You can even put it in a travel cup and drink as you drive.

Iam personally committed to soup or salad for lunch....unless temptation arrives with an invitation to a nice baked crab cake, lol

wannaBaloser

09/28/05---DOWN 20 LBS.......22lbs to go to first goal..........by Dec30 PLAN: weights mwf, tone tths, cardio walk 6 days a week and stretching daily ( this is the plan—it does not always happen ) Minutes per day about: 30 calorie allowance 12-1300/daily….also does NOT always happen, lol
wannaBaloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 03:17 PM   #6  
Linux Lady

Hi all, I am new also and I am 68 years old. Does that mean that I get some kind of prize for being the oldest?

I have weight to lose because I discovered the world of computers and spent last winter sitting on my ever widening bottom instead of walking most days.

I am now walking again and am on a balanced 1200 calorie diet. So far I have lost 5 pounds with 20 to 30 more to go.

I like 2 slices of whole wheat toast for breakfast with 1 TBS of natural peanut butter. That is probably more fat than most 'diet' breakfasts, but it works for me.

zoey

Last edited by ~zoey~; 10-05-2005 at 03:18 PM. Reason: extra letter
~zoey~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 09:22 AM   #7  

Height: 5'1"

Good morning Lady Loosers. I'm 57, can I joint the club? It is possible to get fit at any age. I am an RN and I work in rehab. We have patients of all ages comming through and I see the amazing results of exercise and diet all the time. You can lower you BP, you can increase your indurance, you can lower your insulin needs if you're diabetic. All with just diet and exercise. We're all looking for a "MAGIC BULLET" to make the weight go away. Aint going to happen. It takes work and commitment, but we can do it!

And Zoey, peanut butter is a great diet food. It has all the good fat and it also helps curb your apetite.
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 10:41 AM   #8  
Linux Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by the slim me
Good morning Lady Loosers. I'm 57, can I joint the club? It is possible to get fit at any age. I am an RN and I work in rehab. We have patients of all ages comming through and I see the amazing results of exercise and diet all the time. You can lower you BP, you can increase your indurance, you can lower your insulin needs if you're diabetic. All with just diet and exercise. We're all looking for a "MAGIC BULLET" to make the weight go away. Aint going to happen. It takes work and commitment, but we can do it!

And Zoey, peanut butter is a great diet food. It has all the good fat and it also helps curb your apetite.
Welcome Slim Me. You give very good advice. As a retired RN, I agree,

I know that peanut butter is a great food in moderation. Before I decided to get my act together I was getting a little carried away and eating a lot more than 1 to 2 TBS at a sitting!

I am now on the Tootsie Roll Pop Diet. I made it up It is actually a balanced calorie counting diet with one Tootsie Roll Pop per day.

zoey
~zoey~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 01:33 PM   #9  

Height: 5'1"

Hi Zoey, I ran into you someplace before, I know, because I got some tootsie roll pops too! Have you tried "whipped" peanut butter? It's by Peter Pan. It's easier to spread and because it's whipped it's 140 for 2 tablespoonns.
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 02:31 AM   #10  
Mom jeans are cool,right?

Hi! I'm Zoe, and an RN too.

But I'm just about to turn 30, so too young for this club?

Oatmeal, with a tsp of brown sugar and a splash of milk is one of my favorite healthy choices. But if I'm too lazy, I'll just have 3/4 cup cottage cheese with 1/2 cup, or so, of fresh berries.

I'm wishing I had stocked up my freezer better, this summer, with fresh berries. I'm almost out...grrrr.
CoolMom75 is offline   Reply With Quote