Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 09:26 AM   #1  

Default Thin4Life - Week of Oct. 3/05

Hi. Just getting the thread started. Weighed in on Saturday and was down 3.2!!

I'll be back later.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:47 AM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

Way to go, Susan!!! Congratulations!!! Thanks for getting the thread up and running.

I had a pretty busy weekend--worked at WW Friday/Sunday; Saturday took DS #2 to bowling, watched the rugby game, took DS #1 & 2 to a late lunch/early dinner, got the car cleaned inside & out. Sunday I canned tomatoes (Lala, I finally got some done!)--DH went out and bought romas and regular tomatoes--ended up with 41 quarts and 22 pints. In between I was doing laundry. By the time 8 p.m. rolled around I was pretty tired from running up and down the basement steps getting jars, laundry, etc. I managed to crack my pinky on the laundry basket and it's sore this morning--grrr. The weather was really nice both days and today we're supposed to hit 80.

So how was everyone's weekend?
Old 10-03-2005, 01:26 PM   #3  

Height: 6'0"

Susan, woo-hoo on the loss!! Awesome. How's the running?

Melissa, you worked too hard--all that canning. Your weather has been up and down, huh?

I had a busy weekend. Golfed with DH on Friday and I beat him by one stroke!. On Saturday I hit the 50 family yard sale and really did buy some items I needed. Went to see friends act in Bus Stop--it was great. Had some friends over for dinner yesterday; we had a nice visit (they're in their 80's and so active).

Went rollerblading yesterday and almost got hit by a truck that rolled through a stop sign. Trying to scoot out of the way, I fell and hit my backside pretty hard. I wear all the protective padding, so, thank God nothing else was hurt. Good thing I'm going to the chiropractor tomorrow; I'll have him check it out. It is pretty sore. We have a serious problem in this area with folks that roll through stop signs. The guy did get out of his truck and ask if I was okay. I just wanted him to leave before I said something really nasty. Grrr.

Hi, lala, Pam and Austin.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:25 PM   #4  
si, si signora

Hi everyone,

Susan! Bravo. You are on your way down, congrats. I think I hear a click up north and east a bit.....

Melissa -- You are my canning hero. I ended up doing some sauce, mostly roasting and the cooking it down. Made a paltry quart or two.

80 sounds good today.

Lisa -- Yowch and yikes. Rolling stops are a bad thing. I see people here do it all the time while talking on their cell phones and not paying attention.

Sorry I have been so out of touch. Just sort of freaking out about my weight and how to just get down to a comfortable fat weight and then work my way down.

However, I did start a blog and I would love for you all to read on...

My life, as pathetic as it is....

http://floraandflying.blogspot.com/

Plan for today: stick to menu, get a walk in on top of weight training, stay out of the snackies.

Hi to Pam and Austin. How goes it?

lala
Old 10-03-2005, 02:47 PM   #5  

I'm back.

It's a beautiful day here - 22 degrees and sunny. Forecast is the same for the next three days so I intend to take advantage by being outdoors as much as possible.

Yes, I'm down 3.2 lbs, but I'm afraid it may only have been the 18 km run prior to weigh-in. I really did not stick within allowable points last week. A lot of emotional eating, as you know. I have resolved to do better this week; when I feel like eating, I'm going to journal or run. I'll either be dead by the end of the week or have a new novel on bookstore shelves. We'll see.

Lisa: I can't believe you didn't take the guy's head off. And I thought Canadians were polite. I'm afraid I may have had a few choice words for him. I hope all is well with your tailbone.

lala: Maybe you're thinking too much about weight i.e. obsessing. That happens to me sometimes and I end up sabbotaging myself. Sometimes it's best just to let it rest and things fall back into place. I sure hope the click you heard is mine. I've struggled way too long and I'm tired of hearing myself complain.

Melissa: Wow! That's a lot of tomatoes! You're my idol!

Nasty turn of events on the home front at the end of last week. Not looking too promising. At this point, I just want him to leave for Italy so that I can have my home back. Don't know what will happen when he returns in November. Don't even want to think about it.

Hi Austingal and Pam.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:03 AM   #6  

Hi all. Had a great 45 min run after work yesterday in the park. It's a great time of year for running, altho still a bit too warm for my liking. Going to the gym for strength training tonite. Goal for this week is a 2 lb. loss. So far, so good.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:54 AM   #7  

Susan, Sorry to hear about the home front. I thought things were looking a little better with your husband. Good for you for running. I hope to get out there tomorrow after the chiropractor appt. today. He told me not to run as I had done something to my back and leg that the running was aggravating. I hate getting old!!!

I did pretty well yesterday with food, except about 4:00 I ate some Doritos. Why are they in the office???

It's very windy here today--we have a tropical wave off the coast which is bringing gobs of rain and 25 mph winds. Did you see there's a hurricane Stan headed to Mexico? We just may complete the whole alphabet (Oh boy!)
Old 10-04-2005, 01:15 PM   #8  
si, si signora

Hi everyone,

Grey here, but should clear up. I hung laundry up last night, me thinks it the last good laundry day...

until next march.

Susan, I'm also really sorry to hear about the home front. I know you love your house and hope you can get back in there soon. Keep on running away from the chocolate.

I think I'm starting to hear a tick, but not a click. Need to hear that click.

Lisa --Are you also sore from your fall? The chiro didn't think any of your aches and pains have anything to do with your fall?

The doritos are in the office because you finally leave your office around 6 pm. If they were home, then you could get to them 12 hours a day.

Its better they are at work.

Well, last night I managed to take down part of our garden, make some peach jam and got really sad. It was the first time I had been by myself at home with DP at school and the dog and cat both gone when I was so used to having them around for the last three years of her commute.

Me thinks we're getting a dog sooner than I thought.

Well, someone is coming into my office.

BBL.

lala
Old 10-04-2005, 01:53 PM   #9  

Hi Ladies,

The weather is actually summerlike with temps in the 80's. I think it will be like this through tomorrow and then we'll get some rain. I'm still in a bit of a funk. Went to my friends memorial service last night. She was in the air force so it was a military service...don't think I can ever hear Taps without crying. DS and DD went to the service with me and then went off to other commitments. DH was working late so I was the only one in the house last night. As soon as I got in, I went up to my room to change and encountered one of the scariest things....a small bat was flying around in my bedroom!!! Tried calling DH on his cell but couldn't get through so in a panic I called my Dad to come over and help me get rid of it. Dad opened the windows and tried shooing it out with a tennis racket which fortunately worked. I think it got into the attic through a vent and once it was in the attic there is a small gap where the chimney goes through Lauren's bedroom. I think it came in there although I'll never tell Lauren that. DH is going to be calking it up today!
Yikes... I never saw a bat that close up before..pretty ugly little creatures.

Susan You're doing very well with your weight loss and exercising. I'm so sorry things took a bad turn with DH this weekend. I've been through what your experiencing now and it is very stressful. I think of you often and hope you and DH can work it out.

Melissa I am in awe of your canning. You must have been exhausted.

Lala Yup you need another pet. Part of my current funk is because on September 9th we had to euthanize our cat, Chloe. Still can't talk about it without feeling sad. We had her for 10 years.

Susan Oh my gosh that was a close call rollerblading. I'm glad your OK.

Well ladies I should try and get some work done today since I will be out of the office most of the day tomorrow with doctor's appointment for both me and Lauren. Hope you're all having a great day and I'll talk to you tomorrow.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:11 PM   #10  

lala, I guess fall and winter are headed your way--it's still hot here. Went to the chiropractor today. My fall on Sunday ruined everything he had fixed on Friday; he just grinned at me (as if to say, what is a 51-year-old doing rollerblading??). He'll be that age before he knows it. A dog would be nice, but I don't have to take care of it. My birds give me enough to do.

Pam, sorry about your friend. Yep, Taps is a real tear-jerker. Eeeek--a bat?? You're right, ugly. I'm glad your dad helped you out.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:38 PM   #11  

It's more like summer here than fall--it's a balmy 80 degrees and tomorrow it's supposed to be a little warmer but then rain/cold is in the forecast for the rest of the week. Typical weather for us this time of year with temps bouncing around. I made some soups up for the rest of the week so that'll warm me up!

Lisa: I think that's why I don't try rollberblading--I'm so afraid of falling and hurting myself. Thank goodness you had protective gear on! I admire those who enjoy it and aren't afraid of whizzing along. It's a great workout from what I've heard. I'd rather have red light foods in the office than at home because I'm not as apt to eat too much that way. I hope the chiropractor is able to get you back to where you were at. I can't believe how many storms have gone through already.

Susan: I can't imagine what you're going through right now but I hope it starts to look up for you. I'd be chomping at the bit as well to be in my own environment. How long will he be in Italy? Keep up the writing--you may even want to include your "moods" on each day to help keep things in perspective. I know I mark down the days I walk in mine to keep me on track. Keep up the great work with running! You can get through all this!

Lala: It's amazing how much we miss our pets at different times. What type of dog would you get? At least you're hearing something--the click should be coming. I really have to work hard to stay out of the snack stuff. I always feel better when I conquer a small challenge. I've been asking myself if I need to eat something and 9 times out of 10, the answer is "no".

Pam: Eeek! A bat! We had one in our stairway of the flat we were in--we could hear it banging from side-to-side and thought it was one of DH's buddies who was stopping by--I opened the door the and the darn thing flew right at me...I swear the thing was 3 feet long and I about peed my pants. I slammed the door! Anyway, my brother-in-law took a tennis raquet and got it out. Those things are creepy looking! I get teary eyed with Taps as well. It's so somber. Sounds like we're experiencing the same type of weather.

Hi to Austin! Hope things are going well with you.

Things have come to a screeching halt in the office, which is a good/bad thing for me. The days tend to drag on a little. We're working on our Wellness Program so I've been busy with that. We're trying to get a WW at Work started and we're short one person--we're hoping that someone will step up to the plate and join. Have a great evening everyone!
Old 10-04-2005, 08:06 PM   #12  
si, si signora

Pam I am sorry to hear about your cat and sad for you. I can't believe how much a less than 10lb object can take up so much of a house.

The bat, I can do without.

Good luck at the docs.

Lisa -- my friend just went to the chiro and was happy. I have yet to try that.

Melissa -- I'm with you on the at work foods. We'll get another basset for sure. As for cats, I'm leaning to the siamese. I need an interactive, in your face cat with a voice like miss royas.

Well, it is nice here. I'm leaving work now and going home and then to either walk or go do some yard work. I still have two big articles to read for class and want to finish up my canning.

talk to you all later.

lala
Old 10-05-2005, 09:52 AM   #13  

Thanks for all the support -- I really appreciate it. I called our employee assistance program and have set up an appointment for this afternoon. Regardless of the outcome, I think I could benefit from some objective guidance through what's ahead. He will be in Italy until the first week in November, and I'm looking forward to some heavy duty thinking time.

Went to the gym after work yesterday. I need to add some exercises to my weight workout because it's just too easy for me. Only five exercises. I added a few leg routines that I remembered from past experience, but I need to set up an appointment to get additional upper body ones.

lala: Friends of mine have two Himalayan cats. They are hilarious. Such character, and a real need to be "in your face", as you say. Wish I weren't allergic...

Pam: We have plenty of bats around the house and I've grown to kinda like them. Granted, the ones I've seen are very small, and they weren't in my house I am so sorry about the loss of your friend.

Lisa: How dare the young whippersnapper to grin about your rollerblading. I am totally impressed; would love to try it but am so afraid of falling.

Melissa: Is this normally a slow time of year for you? It's quiet here too. I'm the only person in the office at the moment. Staffing for the coordinator and admin assistant continues but doesn't appear to be making a lot of progress. I'm doing what I can to hold things together.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:29 AM   #14  

Well, if any of you decide to try rollerblading, just make sure you wear the protective garb. It really makes a difference!

Melissa, must be something in the air, but it's kind of slow here, too. I just prepared my input to my performance review. Oh joy! I don't like writing those things; I've always had a hard time tooting my own horn. Regarding your WW group at work, there must be someone who wants to lose weight! I could give you about 10 folks in my work area!!

Susan, EAP folks are really good. It will be good for you to talk to someone. Are you doing free weights or machines at the gym? I know that bats are supposed to be good, but I don't want them in my house.

lala, I believe in chiropractic. I think that's why I'm in good health. My brother is a chiropractor--I'd go to him, but he lives in Virginia.

Well, TS Tammy formed right off my coast; she's headed to St. Augustine. I am ready for this hurricane season to end!!! (come on, 30 November)
Old 10-05-2005, 01:39 PM   #15  

Susan: October does tend to be a quieter month for me and it's nice. I usually take a week off in the middle to do day trips. I'm looking forward to some time off.

Lisa: I haven't caught the news the past couple of evenings so I didn't know about the TS that was heading toward St. Augustine. My gf and I went there a few years back and had a really nice time. We rode bikes and did a lot of walking. I hope the hurricane season ends quietly for you.

Well ladies, I'm going to rant for a few moments and then hopefully it'll be off my chest. I felt really good this morning, I mean really good--my clothes feel fine and I felt "put together"--I went to my meeting at noon and literally got knocked off my feet at the scale. I was up 2.6# and it was totally not expected. I have to admit that my first thought was to not even stay for the meeting because I was so upset. I've had gains before but could honestly blame them on something but this time I can't. I journaled, passed over things I really wanted, and even switched around some of the foods I've been eating. I stayed for the meeting and even though my heart wasn't totally in it I feel a little better. I'm definitely not where I want to be and in order to get back to my "cushion" that I like I need to lose 7#. *deep breath* I'm not going to let this setback throw me into a tizzy but it sure is hard to see straight right now. I will be strong, I will focus and I will see weight loss next week!

Moving on...it's a gorgeous day here--temps are in the high 70's and it's a perfect day for a nice walk. Hope everyone is having a good day!
Closed Thread