Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 09-19-2005, 11:14 PM   #1  
coffee lover

Unhappy premenopause ladies

Are there any here?
I'm Dee and 45 years old. Been gaining pounds and not easily losing it as when I was much younger.
I'm now the heaviest I've ever been.
You'd think with my nightly sweats I wouldn't be gaining
Anyone else going through this and would like to whine with me
dee606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 07:42 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

You're right. It's a little slower and there is scientific eveidence to support that. But here's the thing. If you had no one to compare yourself to ... no internet calculators to remind you that you can only eat x amount of calories ... You would still lose weight eating 'whatever' and exercising doing 'whatever'. You wouldn't really know whether it was fast or slow ... you'd just know that you have to do what works for you, right?

I too wish I'd got my young butt in gear in my thirties instead but alas ... I did not. So now ... I learn to run this body.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 08:17 AM   #3  
Mel

Yup, it's slower or you have to eat less and move a LOT more...but as Susan said, that's the body you've got. Forget what the calculators say you "should" be able to get away with and learn what your body can do and do it.

I started losing weight at 46 in the midst of menopause. Cutting out the white stuff (sugar, flour, processed food) made me feel much better and alleviated a lot of the symptoms. I did and still do a lot of exercise. The weight came off despite the lack of hormones and I wasn't and am not on HRT. I've maintained the weighloss for 4 years now.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 11:34 AM   #4  
coffee lover

Thank you both for your input. I don't want to take meds for this and my doctor supports that view. I will try the cut back on sugars and processed foods. I've stop eating at any fast foods last month. A real weakness for me.
I heard about drinking no coffee(caffeine) but this is Seattle and coffee is like water here
But now do drink only 4 cups as before the summer started would drink 8 to 10 cups a day.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:41 PM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

I drink coffee and drink water and drink wine too .... I don't really think that is what is stopping you from losing the weight... It's the FOOD and LACK of EXERCISE... I'm 48 and going through the same slow metabolism as the rest of you... But in the last 2 years have managed to drop 20 lbs... so it can be done, but it's not easy...

One good book to look into is The Wisdom of Menopause by Christiane Northrup, M.D....
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 12:45 PM   #6  

Well I'm 56 and it doesn't get any easier up here.....lol
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 01:13 PM   #7  
prepare for the BEST time

It boggles the mind! Ilene, thanks for the tip on that book. I'm the same age as you and lose weight at the rate of a crippled snail......my scale is in the bathroom with a bath towel covering it...the cat weighs himself more than I do these days, it's just so FRUSTRATING! and I know I'm losing weight, but NOT FROM MY ABDOMEN! This annoys me to no end, I'm ready to do the home version of self-surgery liposuction with my vaccuum cleaner! I do cardio, I do pilates, I lift wts, I hang my skinny pants on the fridge door. If I have 5 potato chips I gain 3 pounds.

I have no flashes, no sweats (just a little clammy sometimes, but it is 90 degrees outside), my cycle varies and is now every 30-40 days. I take Estroven plant stuff and eat veggie burgers. I drink 4 cups of Starbucks or 2 espressos every morning, (I get up before 5 for work, caffiene is a necessity). Then it's herbal tea w/ lemon all day or water (once a month i crave a diet coke) then a glass of wine in the evening as my *dessert*. I avoid a lot of the white stuff and sugar but don't cut it out completely, just cut waaay back and watch my portions. but it is an uphill battle.
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 04:45 PM   #8  

Do your skinny pants hanging on the fridge door gain weight jus tby being so close to the food? lol
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 05:00 PM   #9  

HAHAHAHa!!! I figure if I see them, it triggers the memory of NOT BEING ABLE TO WEAR THEM and will deter me from *recreational eating* (thanks Mrs. Jim, I love that saying).

I have a closet full of beautiful, expensive clothes.....that do not FIT! I had an accident last year (bad fall resulting in radial fracture, broken nose and dislocated shoulder). I could not exercise for about 6-8 months (except cardio and I didn't bother because I was in severe pain)...soooo I gained and pudged out in the tummy. working my way back is tough and rather than admit I'm a whiney wimp, I like to think it might be a peri-menopausal *issue*.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:43 PM   #10  
Remember Why I'm Here

S/C/G: s-241/g-145

Height: 5'5"

oh boy! I fit in this catagory too. *lol* I'm 46 and although definately not IN menopause just yet, things are starting to slow down for sure and I'm guessing perimenopause is just around the corner. I'll be keeping an eye out here for experiences that can help me when something comes up I may need to deal with. My new mindset says it's better to be armed with the info, and where better to get the info than from those who have already been there. right? So thanks in advance ladies!

Hey Dee, I'm a Dee also and although I live in Cali now, I spent my first 42 years in Seattle. Nice to know ya! And going from 3-4 triple venti mochas per day to a couple cups of Folgers was hard but ohhhhhhh the pocketbook is in heaven! *LOL*
iwmonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 04:34 PM   #11  
coffee lover

I found a book at the library that is pretty interesting called "Hot Times" by Ann Louise Gittleman.
That's how I've felt for the past couple of days and it wasn't cuz of the weather
Dee I like your name I make my own coffee drinks(maxwell)
and treat myself to starbucks twice a month nowadays.
Saved a lot of money that way.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:50 PM   #12  

Dee I see that your stats and mine are very close (but it's taken me since January to arrive at an 18# loss)...How tall are you? I'm 5'5" and small-framed.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:01 PM   #13  
coffee lover

I'm 5'2" and I'm sure there's a small frame in there somewhere.
I'm between a small to medium frame.
Congrats on the 18# loss
Old 10-03-2005, 07:37 AM   #14  

I have been struggling with this issue for years. I would advise anyone to use Black Cohosh, it helps with the night sweats tremendously.
cowgirl500 is offline   Reply With Quote