Old 10-01-2005, 10:30 AM   #1  

Default Summer Starters 10/01/05

Can't wait for us to meet this months goals. Anyone is welcome join. Please post your October's goals.
My Goals
3 times a week Curves
5 times a week 3km walk
No pop ( starting tommorow the 2nd ) cause I already opened a can of pepsi
No fast food
Try and make my mini goal of 250lbs, that means dropping 13, for my weigh in on November 14th.
(I only weigh in once a month at Curves and that is on or about the 11th of every month.)

Last edited by Ice Princess; 10-01-2005 at 10:35 AM. Reason: adding
Ice Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 12:02 PM   #2  
Losing it...again!

Height: 5' 5"

Happy October everyone! It's going to be a tough month for me...my birthday is next week and that means cake on top of that my husband's brother and sister-in-law will be here for two weeks at the end of the month. My sister-in-law is a southern girl who can cook like you wouldn't believe and we always eat ourselves silly when they are here! I'm really going to have to watch myself this month and make sure I don't skip the exercise! I didn't meet last months goals so I'm trying again and keeping the same ones...4 pounds and 10 hours exercise.
SuzyMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 01:43 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

I posted this on the old September board, but I'll repost here for those who don't go back to the old one:

THE SCALE WENT DOWN!!! And I had to restep, restep, to make sure it wasn't lying to me. I'm down 2 lbs, not a bad way to start the month. Even though I didn't lose pounds in Sept., my body was doing something because I lost 5.5 inches:

2 from chest
1 from hips
1 from thighs
1 from calves
.5 from ankles

I cannot say how happy I was to see that I've lost inches even though the scale wasn't moving. And I lost 5.5 inches in August as well, and that's when I lost 8 lbs. so I must have done something right to still lose the same inches exactly.

My SIL used to be very heavy, around 300 lbs. I think, and she took all the weight off and has kept it off for over six years now. I asked her last night what she did/does to get it off and her answer shocked me. She said she went on strict diets, like the firstweek all she ate was eggs, that's it! Then each week she did a different diet, like the cabbage soup diet, etc. and she exercised, mostly riding her bike and lifting weights. When all the weight was off, she went back to eating what she wanted but since her stomach was smaller she couldn't hold as much. Whenever her pants start getting snug, she just goes on a diet for a week. She said that all the dieting taught her self control and in the end she just really doesn't want to gain the weight back so she eats in moderation. Her kitchen is STOCKED with everything from cookies to potato chips, brownies, you name it she has some. She said she eats that stuff, just one treat a day and then if her jeans get tight she diets a week or so to get it back down.

I am not sure what I feel about this. I always firmly believed that if you take the weight off through unhealthy diets like that, it would just come right back. Seems to me she's in a yoyo pattern where she eats and gains, then cuts back to some crazy diet to get it back under control, then goes back to her junk again. I also noticed last night that she's at least a size, probably 2, bigger than when we saw her a few months ago, so I think the weight is starting to come back...she said she's into the egg diet this week because of some "minor gains."

I am so happy I am doing this the right way. She told me the only way to do it is to stick with a diet and exercise. I think she is right, but I want a healthy diet, not one crazy fad diet after the other. I am working to change my lifestyle permanantly so I'm not cycling through diets and gains trying to maintain. I'd rather get there slowly and have an easier, healthier time getting it off.

Okay, enough rambling. Happy October everyone!

Theresa
Purplefirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 02:12 PM   #4  

I started with Fitday today, and I am learning so much already, even just from eating one meal and putting it in. First I thought it was too much work, having to go through each ingredient of what I ate and putting it in there. But, I saw that my meal was way high in carbs, and that almost all those carbs came from one thing, which I could have cut out completely and still liked it.

I had leftover chicken and dumplings that I made for supper last night, and the biscuit mix I used for dumplings was way high in carbs and calories. I could have taken out the dumplings and been just as satisfied, and come in WAY less on calories and carbs. So see...it is teaching me something! Next time I will not eat the dumplings, and the rest of it was very low in fat and calories and would have been fine. Thanks to everyone who recommended this site.

Theresa
Old 10-01-2005, 02:34 PM   #5  
MOM of 6 great kids!

S/C/G: 272/210.6/155

Height: 5' 7"

Happy October!!! Fall is my favorite season!!
Well I made the September challenge-even passed it by 1 pound!! That was yesterday This morning my wonderful new scale I bought yesterday says that I have gained 2 lbs since yesterday (TOM water gain hopefully?) I was so ready to come in here and tell you about my new scale that even tells you your body fat%(very ugly number!!), but now I don't think I'll tell you how wonderful it is!!!!!
I am setting my Ocotber goals higher
Lose 8 pounds
15 hours of exercise
45 miles on the treadmill
I'm not saying no fast food because I have to have my veggie sub from Subway! I don't consider it fast food, but hubby said it was
October will be a hard month for me, I have 3 of my children having birthdays this month 7th, 21st, and the 24th. Someone's gonna have to chain the fridge to keep me away from leftover cake, it is my big downfall! Maybe I can talk them into having a cake I don't like-cherry, strawberry, lemon???? I won't touch those! Wish me luck and strength!
Hubby said I could buy a gazelle, so I went to our big(NOT) Walmart and they had a flimsy looking one for $98, next to it they had a good looking elliptical for $132. When hubby got home I took him in and showed it to him. He agreed so we bought the elliptical-It rang up at only $79!! BUT GIRLS- THAT THING KICKS MY BUTT!!! I can walk on the treadmill for an hour at 3.6(pretty good for starting in Feb at 2.5!) But I can only do that darned elliptical for about 2 min! OH I hope it gets easier!

Well, I hope everyone has a great day, it's the beginning of a new month, lets make it a great one!!
LETS ALL STAY AWAY FROM THE HALLOWEEN CANDY!!

Kathy
fancyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 02:58 PM   #6  

You are doing it the correct way Theresa-that yo-yo stuff just messes your whole body up and you are much better off to eat correctly and continue to do so. Not to mention how much she is robbing her body of the nutrients and minerals it needs. I would rather make the necessary changes to live a healthy non-overweight life than to always be on guard and flipping out every few weeks and then doing something crazy. I know I will always need to watch my portions and be responsible even when I reach my goal weight but at least I won't be like a binge purge kind of thing to stay where I need to be.
Melissa
neo98292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 03:09 PM   #7  
Losing it...again!

Height: 5' 5"

Kathy, I'll be celebrating with your kiddo on the 7th! I'm planning on making a small 8x8 chocolate cake so that there won't be a lot of leftovers and anything that is left is going home with the grandkids! A whole birthday cake would be way too much temptation for me to have around too...not to mention 3 of them!

I've been thinking seriously about getting a treadmill...with winter coming I'm going to need to come up with an exercise alternative. What does everyone here do for exercise in the winter months?
SuzyMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 03:30 PM   #8  

Winter and summer exercise for me is all the same, since it's hard to get out and exercise with both the babes. I do the gazelle and lots of videos, love WATP but not everyday cause it gets boring. I'm going to order Carmen Electra's striptease aerobics to do this winter, and will put on a little show for hubby when I am in better shape I also run and walk around the house. All our doors open up to a big circle and I just pretend it's a track. It's a big tricky going around furniture and all those corners, but it works and I get some good workouts in. I like to do running/walking intervals, that really gets the heart rate up. I want to get an exercise bike or treadmill, something to vary with the gazelle in the evenings.

***CALLING ANYONE WITH A GREEN THUMB***I just raked the biggest part of our front lawn and I thought I was going to die! Such hard work, and according to fitday I only burned 199 calories. I want to use the leaves to make compost to mix into the flower beds in the spring...anyone know how to do that? Is just leaving them sit in plastic bags over winter enough?

Theresa
Old 10-01-2005, 03:47 PM   #9  

I have well actually two birthdays on the 11th. Odessa will be 3 and my grandmother will be 92. No worries I think for cake for mimi (that is what we call her) but I will have a cake for Odessa but after Amanda's birthday, I sent home cake with everyone so that there was only 3 small pieces left for the kids the next day. It helped immensly not to have it in the house. I don't live for cake but if it is there, you bet your bippy I will eat it.
melissa
Old 10-01-2005, 04:53 PM   #10  

Theresa- this is a compost recipe that works out ok- 30% green matter (Grass clippings etc..), 5% high nitrogen fertilizer, 10% moisture holding soil, 5% water, 50% brown matter (fall leaves, newspapers, chopped twigs, etc...) When the pile is at least 3 feet high you can start turning it from the outside in every 5 days adding water to keep it moist. The most important thing is to keep you brown matter at a 2:1 ration to your green. Not as hard as it sounds, I promise.
October goals: Cut down the diet soda intake and drink more water. More exercise, trying for 10 hours again. As for the fast food, I do get a Wendys grilled chicken sandwich alot on my way to work. 346 calories, can I keep that?? I promise only a salad for a side!!!
Also I am hoping for a 9 pound weight loss, but will be happy with 5. I got to thinking about it and I am now at a weight that I haven't been in 10 years. I think it was LauraB who said she tended to sabotage herself when she saw change. I do the same, I wanted to celebrate with a piece of carrot cake, but I ate a salad instead.
We don't get trick or treaters here, it's too far in the country, the only one I have to worry about is hubby, he loves all those mixed bags of candy and is a major chocolate fiend.
Time to go to work again, I really hope I can find a new job soon. Good luck everyone and have a great October.
MistyDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 07:54 PM   #11  

Melissa - I just realized you added another sun for another 10 lbs !! 41 lbs lost!! Great job!

SuzyMc - just do you best this month, it is hard with the cakes - I just went through it myself, but you can do it!

Theresa - great job on the inches lost!!! Don't worry about not losing more weight, you are changing fat to muscle!!

Great goals Ice - I am keeping the same ones as last month - 4 lbs and 600 min of excercise. I didn't meet it last month but am determined to meet it this month!

Kathy - the two pounds sound like water weight to me - don;t worry it'll come back off, it always does for me! I am jealous, I would love an elliptical, but hubby doesn;t trust that I would actually use it!

Misty - I think you can keep the grilled chicken sandwich! Sounds good too!
Halloween candy is my downfall too, I always buy way too much and end up eating it!

For winter excercise - I am lucky, I work at a school, so we walk in the gym in the winter, depending if the roads are cleared well of snow, we will walk outside some days if it is not too cold. We have a Total Gym and I haven;t really used it much, but I am determined to start, I think I will make that another October goal!!! I need to add weight resistance to my plan, just walking is not going to help the flabby arms!!

A New Month and New Goals- :Good Luck: to Everyone!!
StillTrying923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 09:54 PM   #12  

I am so tickled to see the great goals everyone has for this month and I know we all can achieve them. I got the decorating done outside and raked all those darn pine needles although I have to wait until monday to get them in the bin. I already had filled that darn thing with the last cleanup. The girls are out shopping with other grandma and cousin and Josh finally broke out of his rut and will be Darth Vader this year. Star Wars is playing as we speak. Made cookies for the kids and I found it so odd that they don't even appeal to me at the moment. The ring I used to wear on my ring finger now has to go on the middle finger. This is just getting so exciting to me and truthfully I never thought I would see this again. I should go load the dishwasher and Josh needs his hair washed too.

For those who have their standard drivethrus-you are counting the calories or points and I feel you should do what you want to do. It appears you have a control over it-me I don't know if I would make a good choice if I were to do it. I will probably have to take Josh thru one on Wednesday since he can't have any food before the MRI and I dont' think he is going to be jazzed about it so I will need to use it as an incentive for him. I may just pack something for me if I am able to grocery shop by then. *&(&(&^%%% still hasn't paid any support-two months now and just started the third today so we will see. I think the bacon ranch salad at MD's is only 6 points so it would be doable.
Melissa
Old 10-02-2005, 11:35 AM   #13  

Melissa, it makes me so mad to hear about parents not supporting their kids. How does your ex expect you to get by without his help? I'm so sorry that he isn't helping and I wish there was something to be done about this. You are handling it so well though, better than I would I'm sure. Some states are going after them and putting them in jail for not paying, I guess yours isn't one of those?

I stayed under 1500 calories as planned yesterday and Fitday was just a huge help. I drank 2 glasses of sweet tea before I realized that it has SUGAR in it, which is what I'm trying to go off this month I didn't have anymore and added those 2 glasses into fitday as part of my 1500. Usualy I would drink whatever I wanted and not count it in the calories, because I wasn't sure how to figure it out for something like tea. It was very easy with fitday, and so it got added in. Today, I'm not letting that slip by me again.

Theresa
Old 10-02-2005, 11:42 AM   #14  

I am so glad that you are finding fitday such a help. Yes this state is really strict but when he legally changed his first name, he never changed his social security number to reflect it and he is the type to put things in his girlfriends name or someone else. He did that when I was married to him and that is how I got stuck with all the bills. He doesn't care if they take his lisence, he will drive anyway and if they took his hunting lisence, he would still go. He does exactly what he wants when he wants. All I know is that eventually it is all going to catch up with him. He owes me over 1600 right now and he once told me when I complained about the support that "hey I wanted him so I can take care of him". I still can't believe what I ever saw in him and I have decided that when I do move again, I will not be telling him where. He doesn't know the name of josh's school or anything and plus he isn't on the list to get him and chances are I might be in Bremerton and that is like an hour and a half away plus a ferry ride. I just want him to go away. He has nothing to offer Joshua-he only gives josh scraps of his time even and truthfully if Josh had nothing wrong with him, he probably would have told Dennis to flake off a long time ago.
Melissa
Old 10-02-2005, 12:38 PM   #15  
make your time

S/C/G: 184/184/140

melissa I am so sorry you have to go through so much grief with your ex. At least you've already figured out what a loser that guy is--his new gf has to start figuring out what you already know! You've done so well on your weight loss in spite of all the drama! Congratulations!

Theresa: You've been waiting so long for that scale to go down--you must be elated!

I've felt so lazy this weekend and I have so much to do! DH is out getting a powerwasher now so we can clean the deck and prep the house to paint. I can't wait to get the house painted--it's a seriously ugly color now and I want to get a few foundation shrubs in before it's too late.

The rec center is closed today so I'll probably have to pop in a video later. I need to do some ab work so maybe I'll try to do a cardio and then a pilates video. I upped my exercise minutes for this month and I also added some strength goals for myself.
melra is offline   Reply With Quote