South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 09:13 AM   #1  

Default Any Vegetarians doing SBD?

I have pretty much cut animal flesh from my diet in the past 6 months with the exception of fish now and then. I want to try SBD and wonder if anyone else had success following a purely vegetarian version of South Beach? Thanks! Liz
Old 09-25-2005, 10:51 AM   #2  
Helloooo? Treats, please!

I could be wrong but I don't think there are any strict vegetarians who post here regularly. But lots of us do eat vegetarian regularly. I eat vegetarian about half the time. I use lots of the meat substitutes and the soy burgers. I recommend Morningstar as opposed to Boca. I also go through about a lb of tofu a week. If I was to do the strictly vegetarian version I'd make sure to have lots of variety which shouldn't be too hard given all the options for meat substitutes that are out there. It's actually easier for me to eat vegetarian in the winter because I have tons of veggetarian soups and stews that I make. In the summer I like to cook light grilled stuff and can only have so many tofu topped salads in a week. I'll post some more good SBD friendly veggie recipes soon.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:02 AM   #3  

Thanks for the reply! Why Morningstar over Boca? Taste? I don't actually consider myself a vegetarian, I just find eating meat - red meat especially - somewhat gross. I used to love a big steak, but just can't choke it down anymore. Maybe my body is trying to get me to eat well...now if only my mind would follow! LOL

I LOVE tofu and even my family will eat it if it is well-disguised. One of my favorite ways to prepare it is to saute onions, tofu and add curry powder. Yum! I also LOVE soup. I can't wait for your veggie recipies!

BTW, how do you get the moving smileys and the weight counter attached to your post? Thanks, Liz
Old 09-25-2005, 11:40 AM   #4  

Actually I used to hate steak but now I definitely have an appreciation for a nice prime piece of ribeye cooked medium. Go figure!

For the smileys just look at the smiley box in the reply section (not the quick reply) and you can click on them or type in the text that will make them appear. For the weight counter go to User CP at the top left of the page and click edit signature. There's a link that will let you creat your own weight counter. Make sure the box that allows it to show up in your posts automatically is checked. Good Luck.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:43 AM   #5  

Oh, and I like the taste of Morningstar better. Boca just isn't nearly as good. I've tried LiteLife's versions and they are good but more expensive and are mostly found in health food stores. Have you tried GimmeLean's sausage roll? Tastes just like regular sausage. I put it in my brown rice apple stuffing every year at c'mas and none of my carniverous family or friends can tell a difference.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:20 PM   #6  

Thanks so much! I'm off to the supermarket now and MS is on my shopping list.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:24 PM   #7  
The Weight's Coming Off!

S/C/G: 245/245/155?

Height: 5' 6"

I love the morningstar breakfast sausage patties. I like them MUCH better than canadian bacon or turkey bacon. The last time I had a meat breakfast sausage patty is was GROSS it was so greasy and lard-y tasting. And I have always been a huge sausage fan.
I like the Boca crumbles, mostly because I've never seen them by Morning star. If I make something with ground beef and hubby isn't watching, I will throw in a bag. He never knows the difference -- unless he sees the package! LOL
Old 09-25-2005, 08:35 PM   #8  

We aren't strict veggos but eat a mostly vegetarian diet... sometimes a little too much meat slips in.. but we eat tofu, tempeh (so yummo) and lots of lentils and chickpeas... I think that it is relatively easy to vegetarian, but it would be hard to be vegan on SBD..

Good luck
Old 09-25-2005, 08:44 PM   #9  
I painted my avatar. :-)

Ok. Seeing as how I don't know any, and I feel like a goofball for asking......

What's the difference between a vegitarian and a vegan???
Old 09-25-2005, 08:56 PM   #10  

Not goof ball at all... vegetarians typically do not eat the flesh of other animals but will eat the products (like eggs, milk, cheese) but vegans do not eat either...
Old 09-25-2005, 09:07 PM   #11  
I painted my avatar. :-)

Thanks Marianna!

(But I can be a huge goofball at times, )
Old 09-26-2005, 06:00 AM   #12  

Marianna, where do you get your tempeh? I've never tried it and would like to expand my diet to include as much non-meat stuff as possible without overdoing the soy.

Knowing myself as I do, I will probably end up including meat on days when I am rushing to prepare something SBD "legal" and have no other choice, or need variety. At this point, my desire to reduce my weight and cholesterol are a higher priority for me than simply eliminating meat. Nevertheless, I'm going to try to follow SBD with as little meat as possible.

Have a great week! Liz
Old 09-26-2005, 06:04 AM   #13  

We get the tempeh from the chilled section of our supermarket.. it is soy that has a harder consistency and is a bit spicy.. it is great through stirfrys, or in a salad with a soy, garlic and ginger dressing with sesame seeds... or to make burgers out of.
Closed Thread