Old 09-13-2005, 09:53 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #31

Morning gals. Again with the hot weather, sigh. I am ready for fall since I can't swim anymore.

I am stuck with the blanket until I can go and get more yarn. I need about 2 more skeins. So far the thing has cost me about 35$ and each skein is $4 so around $45 and that doesn't even count having to buy needles and such. Ahh well, I have enjoyed doing it and am really making headway on Thomas's scarf now that I am not doing the blanket. I have to go clear across town to get yarn, so will probably wait until next week when I get some for another scarf. I decided last night to make each of the adult kids a scarf and give them leather gloves as part of their Christmas gift instead of just my dd and sil. I downloaded a couple different scarf patterns that I know my dil will love with fuzzy yarn sort of like the baby stuff I am using.

Jean: We went to T's soccer game last night (they lost 6-5) and came home and the gas had dropped 10 cents in that time and it is $2.89 now. I figure it will drop some more with crude oil dropping, the Katrina thing over in a fashion and the holiday over. I hope so as we are going to Indiana for Thanksgiving and I don't want to have to spend $100 each way as I am predicting we will. I guess gone are the days of well behaved kids that can be taken out on the school lawns for classes when it is too hot, which is what we used to do. Our school had no AC, but it was only one level and we only had around 300 kids total in the high school. My graduating class was around 68 I think. You know everyone that way that is for sure!

I guess I better get the rest of the chores done. Oh Jean, have you seen that new thing that just came out from Swiffer for carpets? I thought of you talking about cat hair cleanup when I saw it. Wonder if it works?

Have a great day! Maggie, wherever you are we miss you!!!!!

Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 05:52 PM   #2  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! Our temperature dropped about 15 degrees this afternoon . . . I guess the weatherman knew what he was talking about for once. It's cloudy but a cool 68 degrees outside -- I love it! School was the same old thing again today. Considering what some days are like, I'm not complaining.

"Gma" -- I haven't seen the new Swiffer for carpets. Since we redid the floors in laminate, I bought a Hoover Flair which really has "suck!" The fur comes to it instead of blowing away from it. I bought it for the bare floors but it does have a carpet setting and works fine on area rugs. It has too much suction for my bathroom rugs however. You and your knitting projects inspire me to get in gear and work on my Christmas stockings! It's dark by 8:30 now and I hate the thought it getting darker earlier every night.

I need to get off the computer in case MIL tries to call. She is supposed to call when she gets back to her home in Tucson but I can't remember what time. There's 2 hours time difference until we go off daylight savings time in October.

Have a nice evening!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 10:25 PM   #3  

Good Evening, Flowers! I should be picking up the kitchen clutter but would rather visit with you. We had our first bell choir practice tonight and the church music committee has already asked if we would be interested in playing on Christmas Day. I don't think so! It was a cool 60 degrees this morning but warmed up in the afternoon.

I need to decide what I'm wearing to school tomorrow. I may need to do a white shirt load of laundry before I head for bed. Nothng like being unorganized!

Have a terrific Thursday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 09-15-2005, 09:12 AM   #4  

Good morning. Sorry I didn't get in here yesterday, but my modem crashed on Tues afternoon and we didn't get our dsl equipment until late yesterday afternoon and it took 3 hours of phone time with a tech support person to get Jack's laptop connected as we have wireless and they couldn't get it to see it or something. Anyhow, we are up and going now.

Jean: I forgot you went and had laminate put in so you wouldn't need it anyway. There are some really cool cleaning tools out now. They have a new Clorox wand thing I want to try, especially on the bathroom tub. Jack comes home with gunk from the plant on himself and it sticks right to the tub. I never had a bathtub ring until he started working there. I PM'd you my new email.

We are off again a week from tomorrow. We are going to Nashville for my birthday (UGH another year older , ) which is the 28th but with this heat we want to go a weekend early! I changed my mind and am getting a portable DVD player for my birthday from Jack. It is so cool. I saw a lady with one on the plane. We have one of the first ones ever made so it is big and clunky for the car or to take into a hotel or something but not very portable. These are about the size of a slice of bread. I think I will ask for XM radio for Christmas.

I cannot believe it is so hot here and we can't get it to rain no matter what. We are supposed to get thundershowers today but I doubt it as it is not very cloudy yet and it is in the 80's already. It only got down to upper 70's last night and kind of miserable.

I am almost done with t's scarf and it looks so cute just like Harry Potter's only made by Nonny! I hope he likes it but his aunt seems to think he will and so does his mom. I have a bunch more to make so am going to try and get to Hobby Lobby before we go to Nashville and take stuff with me. I still have to get a couple more for my niece's baby blanket but I want to do it all in one trip because it is clear across town.

I guess I better go and get something done this morning instead of sitting here gabbing.

Gloria: Hope all is well with you!

Faye
Old 09-15-2005, 06:34 PM   #5  

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
I'm home alone because DH is working the insurance booth in a neighboring county fair so won't be home until later. I ran some errands after school and am ready to sit down for a bit. It was another quiet day at school which was nice.

"Gma" -- Thanks for sending your new email address. I had to do a search in my address book because I still had you listed as Donna. That's been awhile ago! When you think of getting older, just remember that it is better than the alternative! I had a 90+ year old lady tell me that at a funeral when I commented how nice she looked! You will have to take a picture of T wearing his scarf and post it for us to see. I would like to go to Nashville just to be able to say that I've been there. I don't know anything about the place at all but it sounds like a fun weekend.

Well, I'm off to read the local newspaper and see what's up in this little 'burg.' Have a fantastic Friday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 09-16-2005, 09:16 AM   #6  

Hello ladies, hope it is a good morning for you. Unfortunately the lovely rain and cool temps somehow bipassed us except for graciously allowing us the 90% humidity so today is miserable already and it is barely 8 AM

Jean: You wouldn't BELIEVE the run around Jack got last night trying to cancel our AOL acount. It is in Jack's name so he called and spent 15 minutes trying to get the jerk to cancel and give him a confirmation number. He finally told him if he didn't quit the sales pitch to try and get us to stay and give him a confirmation # in 10 seconds he was hanging up on him (the guy refused to give him his supervisor) so Jack hung up on him, I went online and logged into AOL from my dsl and low and behold the e-mail with the cancellation was in Jack's old mailbox and had been in there from about 3 minutes after Jack gave the guy his info! As the moron signed the stupid thing, I contacted AOL and gave them a piece of my mind about it all. With that being said, BEWARE OF TAKING AOL AND THEN TRYING TO GET OUT OF IT!!!! As soon as my projects get done, I am taking a photo so I will post it. I only have about 20 rows to go and Thomas's scarf is done except tassels and I have one end of those done already.

I have vacuuming and dusting upstairs today so I am going to leave here and get that done before it is too awful up there. It is also sheets day so I have that to do besides my regular chores too. I am determined to finish that scarf completely today including handwashing in Woolite and laying flat to dry and I have a book I am part way through.

Jack helps out at the plant with their computer needs and his boss bought a new computer for one of the foreman, who is an absolute jerk. He is one of those guys who has to one up everybody on their story. You know one of those, "Yeah, but listen to what happened to me..." kind of guys. Everybody dislikes him. Jack's boss bought a new printer, fax, email, combo thingy for his own office at the same time so one of the electricians took the box, put a concrete block in it, sealed it up and took it to Fred's office so it looked like he was getting a fancy printer! Jack said, Alan, his boss, wanted him to put Fred's computer together and up and Jack said, "Uh, uh, not until Fred discovers what is in the box. I don't want him thinking I did it!" I guess this pompous dope was bragging about his new stuff to all the guys, most of whom knew the joke and could hardly keep from falling over laughing. Guess what happened is Jack was in the office when Fred wanted his system set up so Jack told him ok but to help get the stuff out of the boxes so he could get it done. Guy was NOT happy when he saw the concrete! Jack said he could hardly contain himself!

Better get to what needs to be done. Have a great Friday and weekend. Tomorrow is soccer game day.

Faye
Old 09-16-2005, 04:29 PM   #7  
Web Nana

Hi Jean & Faye,

Oh Faye, That is a funny story about Jack and Fred and the concrete. Would have liked to be a fly on the wall for that. Some people are so full of themselves that they will ask you a question and before you get the answer out they are talking about themselves. Or there is the one that asks you a question about yourself and as soon as they have the info that they wanted about you they turn around and walk away.

Jean: We have wall to wall through out the house and tho I like it I wonder if it would have been better to stay with the wood. In the winter I love to walk around in my stocking feet and then I love the carpets.

Been busy trying to arrange the itinerary for our November trip to Disney World and have finally come up with what I hope will work. Two days of 5 1/2 hour driving and 2 days of 6+ hours of driving. Then 5 days at Disney and back to Raleigh for Thanksgiving. We will stay in Raleigh til the Monday after the Holiday and head home over a 2 day drive. I am the navigator and have maps and books from AAA but I also use the internet for directions.
We will stay at Hampton Inns on the way down and at the "Shades of Green" which is the Military Hotel @ Disney. On the way back home we will spend 1 nite at Annapolis, Navy Lodge. Looking forward to the trip and will try to spell DH with some of the driving. Must start getting Christmas gifts together to bring with us so I won't have to mail them this year. Lots to do around the house before we leave....clearing the deck, closing down the attic windows, changing the winter/summer clothes sealing the AC that stays in the window and removing the small one. Much other stuff to numerous to mention.

Jean: I agree with you about playing the bells on Christmas. With every thing else you have to do, especially with your enlarging family, playing the bells would take a lot of time out of your day.

Faye: Your scarves sound cute and I am sure everyone will like them as they are home made with love.

Gloria in MA...off to think about supper.
nanacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 02:27 PM   #8  

Talking

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
DH has gone to work at the fair booth so I am home alone. Have lots I could be doing but right now I'm waiting for the dryer. If I don't set a timer, I forget and then things are too dry.

"Gma" -- I liked the concrete story too! Sometimes people like Fred deserve what paybacks they get. I just went round and round with a vitamin salesman! Like a dope I took advantage of a "free" offer if I would pay the shipping, which I did. When the fish oil came, it was not coated pills like DH likes so I cancelled the automatic refill program on Aug. 10th, which I had intended to do anyway. The rep. said, "no problem." Well, on Thursday, we got the next shipment! By the time I got to the door, the UPS truck was pulling away and the box doesn't have a "return guaranteed" stamp on it. So I called the company, sat for 20 minutes listening to "please leave a message and we will return your call asap" -- GRRRRRRR! I finally got some yo-yo who said he could cancel the NEXT order. By then I was so angry I told him that this one had better not be on my next credit card bill to which he said it would be and he couldn't issue a credit until the package was received back from me. DH took it to the p.o. the next morning and for 45 cents you can buy a delivery confirmation receipt. You can go online and check where the package is and it was delivered this morning, in NY, at 7:45! I can hardly wait to get my credit card bill and do that paperwork because I'm not paying for it! (nor the shipping either!)

Gloria -- I am going to try trifocals and see if that helps in seeing my music. I brought the music home so I could mark it and hopefully read it before I get the glasses to try. You will be all ready for winter before you leave on your trip and that will be a nice feeling to have that all done. DH and Jason will take the dock out next weekend and close the cabin for the winter. It's pretty dark by 8:00 now. When the cats are gone and/or we move, I'm going back to carpet! To me it is just a warmer, more cozy feeling.

I have 30 seconds to say "good-bye" and head for the dryer. Have a nice weekend!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 09-17-2005 at 02:30 PM.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:12 AM   #9  

Good Morning gals! Well, I am finished with the scarf. I am not that thrilled with it as it is not the best work as I am not very proficient with the sides being beautiful but I hope Thomas likes it anyway. I am 3/4 the way done with his hat and my dd wants me to make him a pair of mittens, which I have NEVER done before so that should be interesting!

Gloria Sounds like a doozy of a trip. I hope you have lots of fun. We have never been to Disneyworld and were at Disneyland over 30 years ago when we were stationed in San Diego. I have only driven through Raleigh and that was late night when we were being transferred from Va Beach to here years and years ago.

Jean: I can't wait to get hardwood floors. I have never been all that fond of carpeting, maybe because of my allergies, I don't know. I just like the look of hardwood. I grew up with hardwood and remember my mom waxing it and letting us sit on towels and she would pull us around the room to buff it! I must have been 4 or 5. Funny how you remember things sometimes.

We went furniture looking yesterday and I picked out a few pieces that we are picking up on Sat. when we can borrow my dd's fil's pickup. I bought a new cherry desk for my computer in the kitchen (the one I have is the old broken down one that was in Jack's office until he bought himself a new one 3 years ago) and then I found these wonderful shelving units that could double as end tables. They have baskets instead of drawers and we are going to use them for all our dvd's. Then I am getting the matching bench that has 3 baskets underneath, but I am going to make it a coffee table. Little by little I am getting rid of my "junk" that I have had to live with for years and get some prettier things. I have to thank the Memphis area's bathroom habits for allowing me the privilege to buy new things!

I have to get going and get my vacuuming downstairs done today.

Have a great rest of the weekend!

Faye
Old 09-18-2005, 12:21 PM   #10  

Good Morning, Flowers!
It's a beautiful day in my corner of the world -- sunny, cool, and NO wind for a nice change. I've been to early church and now will wait for DH to get home from late church. His group used to sing at the beginning of the second service and then leave but the band got tired of playing every Sunday, so DH's group leads the music for the whole service. Makes it way after noon if we want to take off and go see the kids. Since DH was gone yesterday, I think it will be a lazy catch-up kind of afternoon here.

"Gma" -- I have heard that if you have allgeries the first to get rid of is the carpet. After seeing what is on the bare floor, it's scary to know what was in the carpet! I get natural light from the east picture window and the west french doors so have a clear shot of fur, crumbs, and drips on the floor in-between. I could drive myself if I tried to keep up with it; I could be vacuuming and mopping all day long. I'm sure T will love his scarf! It looks like our Iowa State colors -- maybe you sell some online. I had to stop and think what the connection between Memphis and buying new furniture would be . . . I'm a little slow on Sunday mornings! You will enjoy your new things!

I have the end of the laundry in the dryer so guess I will read the paper until it is finished. I should do some much needed ironing this afternoon.

Have a nice day; do something that you enjoy!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 09-19-2005, 07:53 AM   #11  

Good Monday Morning ladies! My weather report doesn't seem to change, hot and humid already! We can't seem to beg for rain. We were supposed to get some big thunderstorms a couple days ago, but a drip here, drop there and that was it!

Jean: I wondered if you would get my little joke about Memphis. We were in a church situation once where the church had just split when we visited. The pastor was so thrilled to have people that knew how to teach and sing, he had Jack and I in everything. We didn't last there long as I couldn't take having to sing EVERY Sunday, teach ss school, Jack taught then they had us working with some other people on top of that. So, I understand about the band not wanting to play every Sunday, but where does that leave your dh? Does his group get stuck with it all now every Sunday?

Tonight is soccer practice so it is a quick meal for us. I may make some salmon patties as they are quick and easy even if they do stink up the place ! I have never tried pot roast in the crockpot until yesterday. I wasn't sure it was going to turn out very well, but I browned it in a deep chicken skillet, poured on the water to loosen the good stuff then put it all in the crockpot with carrots and put it on high for about 5 hours and it turned out yummy. In fact, I kept part of the juice with what was left of the meat and froze it to make hot roast beef sandwiches with. I throw out so much with just the two of us sometimes. I have never been able to adjust casserole stuff and things like that to just 2 plus a little extra for a lunch for Jack.

Even though it isn't quite done and I still have the needles in it, I am including a pic of the blanket I am doing and some yarn I bought to make my dil a scarf for Christmas. She has unusual tastes and Jack thought she would like it. The blanket is call a diagonal blanket and I thought it would be good for breastfeeding. It looks a little weird shaped in the pic because I have it still on needles and couldn't spread it out correctly.

Well, guess I better get on with my day.

Everyone have a good week! Oh, do either one of you ladies have satellite instead of cable?

Faye
Old 09-19-2005, 08:34 AM   #12  
Web Nana

Just a quick note while I wait for DH to return from his mile walk. Since his knee problem seems to be on hold he has worked up to a mile....not his usual 5 miles but better than nothing. I wish I could go with him but I have had a couple of falls and I only do mall walking.

Jean it is nice to do things with and for church but it seems that those who do one thing are asked to do more. It would be better to spread the wealth around!

Faye you are really on a roll. Those knitting projects are lovely and don't put yourself down. A homemade anything is better than that purchased. I would love to see tha product from the yarn you pictured, it should be great.

Gloria....well he's home....so gotta go. Have a good week.
nanacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 06:05 PM   #13  

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
It's warming up in my corner of the world again -- supposed to be in the 90s tomorrow and Wednesday. Yikes! What is our winter going to be like this year?

I picked out new glasses after school today. It's a good thing I have a strong constitution because they sure don't give them away! WOW!

"Gma" -- DH's group only sings one Sunday a month. That is the Sunday that the choir has 'off' for the first service and the group sings 2 songs. For the second service, they have to sing their 2 songs, but also lead the whole music part of the service because that is the Sunday the band now has 'off.' They do some canned music since the band is not there. Personally, I don't think the band has any place in church but that's only my thought. We just put in a very expensive, huge pipe organ when we remodeled and they don't even use it for the second service. Of course the organist is getting paid the same amount as when she played for both services. I love the scarf yarn -- be sure to show us the finished product! I know the blanket will be a hit; Amanda always uses a blanket when she is nursing Zowie. It looks so soft and cuddly. A roast sounds good . . . I haven't made one in quite awhile.

Gloria -- We have found out that the more you do, the more they ask you to do in any organization. DH was chairman of the administrative board for 3 different ministers during the remodeling project and finally said enough was enough! They want him to come back again but so far he's said 'no.'

Dh should be home soon so I suppose I should check and see what is available for supper. Have a nice evening!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 09-20-2005, 08:24 AM   #14  

Good Morning gals! As usual it is hot and sticky here already this morning. I will be glad when I can say, it cooled off and I need a sweater to walk this morning!

ANNOUNCEMENT! My scummy neighbors are MOVING!!!!!!! We were coming home from T's practice last night and I was griping about the brats throwing bones and food in the yard and then the adults throwing their ciggie butts in my yard and scuzzying up the entranceway with their garbage etc. We came around the corner to our street and here is a big Uhaul. Jack said, "Good grief, wonder who they are moving in there now." BUT WAIT, COULD IT POSSIBLY BE TRUE??? COULD THEY BE PUTTING THINGS IN THE TRUCK????? Halleluah, it IS true!!!!!!!!!!! This will last me as happy thoughts for weeks!

My dgs came to practice with his other grandparents last night so I took him and we walked ahead of the other adults so we could talk. I ask him how school was and was teasing him about whether or not he was writing and speaking Japanese in kindergarten yet. He cracked me up. He got all serious and said, "No, Nonny, but I know what Cinco de Mayo is. Cinco is 5 and Mayo is.......well I don't know what Mayo is." So I told him Mayo was May and it meant 5th of May. He is so funny. We talked about going to see Wallace and Gromet but I guess his mom and dad are taking him. I do miss the little bugger. We are having dinner with him on Thurs.

Jean: Since it is just the three of us that post I doubt I offend you or Gloris so I will tell you, I am with you! I find bands in church offensive. Part of what the church service is about is reflecting within yourself in the quiet about your sins, how you can serve God, what he is to you, etc and how can you do that with a drum wham bamming? When we were in Vegas, we went to this Irish pub and they had this band there and they were so loud, you could hardly hear the singers. It is the same idea with the church only worse. I don't like most contemporary Christian music and think what they call Christian rap as just plain disrespectful. The music around the singer should NOT be the focal point, but the words OF the song. One of my favorite contemporary songs, and I don't have many is "Mary Did you Know?" I love to sing that song. I am pming you the link so you can listen to it.Here are the lyrics:

Mary, did you know
That your baby boy
Would someday walk on water?
Mary did you know
That your baby boy
Will save our sons and daughters?
Did you know
That your baby boy
Has come to make you new?
This child that you've delivered
Will soon deliver you.

Mary did you know
That your baby boy
Will give sight to a blind man?
Mary did you know
That your baby boy
Will calm the storm with his hand?
Did you know that your baby boy
Has walked where angels trod?
When you kiss your little baby
You've kissed the face of God.
The blind will see
The deaf will hear
The dead will live again
The lame will leap
The dumb will speak
The praises of the Lamb

Mary did you know
That your baby boy
Is Lord of all creation?
Mary did you know
That your baby boy
Will one day rule the nations?
Did you know
That your baby boy
Is heaven's perfect Lamb?
This sleeping child you're holding
Is the Great I Am

With that being said and I have NO chores done, I bid you Adieu!
Faye
Old 09-20-2005, 10:59 PM   #15  

Good Evening, Flowers!
I had to watch Dancing with the Stars tonight . . . they make it look so easy. It was 91 on my way home from school today and is supposed to be 94 tomorrow. The school feels like an oven by the time we get out.

"Gma" -- Do you suppose your neighbors are moving because of you? I hope that your new neighbors will be better ones! Thanks you so much for the belly laugh tonight! I will think of you and the drum wham bamming when we have to play bells at second service. When they started the contemporary service, we were told that the bell choir wasn't jazzy enough to play at that service. But the minister has moved on and I guess since our director plays the keyboard and one of our members sings with the band, we now have an in. Some of us don't like it but several others attend that service so they are happy. We end up playing half and half so I guess that is fair. Thanks for the music link -- I will pass it along. I like that one too.

Well, I need to decide what I am wearing tomorrow . . . something cool! Have a wonderful Wednesday!

Jean -- from Iowa!