Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 10:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 265/see ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Default Milk?

I guess I should tell you all, I'm not a big fan of milk. I honestly just don't like the taste of it. HOWEVER, I am gonna start drinking it. So my question is, what is the best as far as milk?

I DESPISE whole milk and I think Skim has no taste...Would 1% be ok? I wish our grocery store still sold 1/2% but I havent seen that in forever....

Any thoughts?
Old 09-15-2005, 10:36 PM   #2  
Southern Gem

Sorry, all I drink is Skim. I grew up drinking it, so the taste doesn't bother me. Do you have access to a place that has small milk carton, like a cafeteria at work? The cafeteria where I work has those milk cartons they sell at elementary schools. It's a good way to check out the calerie count, and try different kinds without buying a whole big carton of it.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:40 PM   #3  

Well i used to drink skim, but i just cant stand the taste anymore...guess i my taste buds changed as i grew up..

Mom says i'm finicky now anyways (I tihnk I spelled taht right)

I'm not really finicky, I just know what i dont like
Old 09-16-2005, 08:08 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I don't drink milk. I eat yogurt and fat free cottage cheese, but that's all the dairy I have. I do take calcium supplements
I think you'll find that here at 3fc, there are several people who don't drink their calories. Lots of water but calories are for chewing, filling ....
Old 09-16-2005, 09:13 AM   #5  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I drink milk, lots and lots!

Try the 1% (I think that's what we call semi-skimmed over here), you might want to try adding some flavour to it by turning it into a smoothie with a banana or some berries

I didn't used to like 0% milk but now I love it and 1% tastes reallly creamy! I'm sure you'll get used to whatever you choose aget a while.

I've heard that it takes about 10 "tries" to get used to something new, like food or drink!
Old 09-16-2005, 11:22 AM   #6  

Well the boyfriend is making me a smoothie this morning...not sure what he's using in it. We'll see.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:27 PM   #7  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

Smile Fat Free Dairy

Hi,

I just switched to nonfat milk recently because I'm trying to lower my fat intake. I'm having good success with the Zone diet (40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat) and it's much easier for me than Atkins, which I was on for about six months but missed my fruit and veggies !

I love having a latte coffee in the morning and it was getting real expensive to buy one at the coffee shop, so I invested in a small expresso machine. It took a while to get the hang of it, but by now it's paid for itself over and over. Funnily enough, the nonfat milk makes the best, creamiest foam! Don't know why. I get about half a cup of milk day from this and another half cup in my tea - I drink about 3 cups of tea a day .

Milk is a good source of protein and calcium, so I like to drink at least a cup a day. I also eat quite a bit of nonfat cottage cheese and nonfat yogurt. I usually have either of these for breakfast with some mixed fruit or berries. Using nonfat dairy makes quite a difference in the amount of calories.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:41 PM   #8  
Empress/Queen

Personally, I drink tons of milk and will continue to do so until I am six feet under. Currently I like 2 percent because it tastes good. Used to be happy with skim or 1 percent but now I drink 2. For me, the extra fat (I know it's saturated but I have unusual theories about that and they do not track with the current "correct thinking" of nutritionists and others who tend to make sweeping generalizations re diet) makes for a more stable blood sugar experience. Someday I may want to go back to the skim ... I prefer that term to fat free or 0 percent. The "fat free plus" types (there are different names for this that have seaweed (carrogeean ... not sure if this is spelled right, anyhow ...) added to give it a "2 percent" taste (it doesn't taste like 2 percent but is creamier than skim) might help those who want to go fat free but don't like the taste.
Old 09-17-2005, 08:32 AM   #9  

We drink skim milk in our house but I think the name brand makes a real difference. We live in OK so we have access to Braum's which is the best milk I've had except when I was a kid and we had a milk cow. Now that's the best milk! Braum's is an ice cream store that also sells a few groceries and fast food items. They have their local dairy here in OK so the milk is fresh. So, if there is a place like Braum's in your area, I'd suggest trying their milk. Braum's has great low calorie bread also that is cheaper than the grocery stores.
Old 09-17-2005, 08:38 AM   #10  
KitKatBahr

S/C/G: 285/229/145

Height: 5 ft, 7 in.

Hi,

I don't drink milk at all anymore. I use Soy (vanilla, regular and chocolate). It tastes great, is good for you, and doesn't have all that nasty antibiotics and hormones in it that they give the cows these days. That's the main reason I quite drinking it. Also, Rice milk tastes good too. One thing with the soy milk, is that different brands do taste different. I think the best is Silk, with 8th Continent a close second. It comes in low fat too.

Try the soy, it's good. My Publix grocery store has them in small containers (think juice boxes) in the dry milk aisle. They come in three packs. It's a different brand though, can't remember which one, but it tasted ok. Also, the soy milk isn't really very expensive, and I use it in cooking too. Makes great instant mashed potatoes. I think Publix also has small versions of the Silk in the cold section, near the yogurt (which is where the soy milk is). They are like individula serving size and come in flavors too.

Try it, you'll like it!
Kathy
Old 09-17-2005, 08:46 AM   #11  

I can't stand milk except for in cereal, oatmeal, and stuff like that. I have never drank milk... unless it was chocolate milk. Which I don't do that anymore either. I only buy 2% in my house. My hubby was raised on skim and that kind of stuff and he refuses to get what he calls colored water lol. I grew up on Vit. D myself. But we only buy 2%.

The way I get in my dairy is through cereal, oatmeal, yogurt and stuff like that. Oh, and even ice cream. Lol. But this is not often.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:38 AM   #12  
Empress/Queen

I agree with Kathy about soymilk. It's great! My favorite is Westsoy's UNSWEETENED chocolate flavor. I only use Westsoy UNSWEETENED brand as all other soymilk I've ever seen (even if it says plain or original or sugar free or whatever) has either evaporated cane juice (sugar) or some other undesirable (to me) sweetener or artificial sweetener, so I really appreciate Westsoy's UNSWEETENED line.

In my opinion, rice milk tastes good and is a good source of carbohydrates, but it is not IMO a good source of protein or a good milk substitute and for me it's too high glycemic. I drank a lot of it at one time but now can't physically tolerate it.

There are also a number of types of nut milks and grain milks available in the health food sections of most groceries. These have sweeteners added usually but are also very good substitutes ... good in smoothies and recipes. Almond milk is delicious, IMO!

You can make these at home as well (can also make soymilk at home but it's a lot of trouble, IMO).

Poohshunny, IMO you are right about the brand of dairy being important as to quality. Seems like I remember Braum also from another state I once lived in, not sure, though.

IMO the risk from antibiotics in dairy products fed to cows is not a risk to humans but agree the milk substitutes are great and yummy.

Mooooo!
Old 09-19-2005, 09:05 PM   #13  
Sweat is my friend!

Yum! I love milk! I drink skim (fat free)..growing up, that is what we were raised on, so I'm used to it. However, my husband HATES it. He says it taste like water and won't drink it..so I have to buy 2% for him. Whole milk is YUCKO! Way too thick with lard. blah.
Closed Thread