Old 09-13-2005, 09:16 AM   #1  

Default Time For Serious Fun #113

TIME FOR SERIOUS FUN

We are a thread dedicated to making losing weight a pleasant experience. We laugh, cry and talk together. We have challenges, points for staying on program, drinking our water, and exercising. We have a daily topic to join in. Our only focus is to help us realize that dieting and all that goes with it need not be unpleasant, but can be fun. Come join the fun here at Time for Serious Fun! Everyone is Welcome!

TOPICS:

Monday: Mission Monday New mission each week
Tuesday: Target Tuesday We target something to work on
Wednesday: Wednesday's Woes Our day to complain about anything and everything
Thursday: Time for Us Thursday The day set aside to pamper us!
Friday: Fabulous Lbs Down Friday. Report our losses!
Saturday: Sunny Thoughts Saturday We share stories and jokes to help us smile
Sunday: Silly Poll Sunday A new poll to give your thoughts to every week

POINTS VALUES:

STAYING ON PROGRAM IS 2 POINTS
DRINKING YOUR WATER IS 1 POINT
EXERCISING IS 1 POINT

POSTING A WTG: A WTG IS WHEN SOMETHING NON WEIGHT LOSS HAPPENS TO YOU LIKE A NEW DRESS IN A SMALLER SIZE. TO POST A WTG, USE ALL CAPS AND POST IT IN PINK. FOR EXAMPLE: WTG: I rode my bike 2 miles instead of one today
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 09:40 AM   #2  

TUESDAY: Today is Target Tuesday so let's target some of the "tricks" we can play on ourselves to help us lose weight. Try smaller plates, eating something fiberous before a meal like whole grain cereal or a fiber product like Citrucel, drink water before eating, make a whole place setting pleasant to sit down to, TURN OFF THE TV, etc. You would be amazed how little things can help!

Amanda: So what you are saying is I shouldn't come to the UK and throw the word "fanny" around??? Personally, I think bum is a better word than butt! The swearing expression "bloody" is better than the you know what word too except I guess if you live in the UK then you know you are swearing! DO NOT CHANGE for us, I love to hear British expressions and if we ever get over there want to be up on the way to talk!

Well, I ran out of yarn again for the blanket so I can't finish it until I get another 2 skeins. I could have bought her a nice blanket for what this is costing! I just wanted her to have something really special and I enjoyed doing it. I am doing pretty well on the scarf too so I want to get it done this week and start on the adult ones. I decided to give each adult kid a scarf and leather gloves as part of their Christmas. Glad I don't have 6 kids with spouses!

Jack and I have already begun to plan next year's vacation. I know it is probably nuts to a lot of people, but we have to save the money to go each year and it costs a lot to do it besides being fun to plan, actually. We spent nearly $6000 on this year so I have to get to saving! We are going to be staying at a new hotel next year that will only have been open 6 months, which is cool. I am going to be deluged with e-mails from hotels, but I signed up with a bazillion to get any special deals they might have. Of course the ones I can use since we are going around the same time next year won't come available until around July so I have to just dump the other ones, but I saved us $200 with one this time. Enough about that.

Carri: YOU GO GIRL! I am so proud of you and know you are going to be at goal soon soon soon!

SusanVA: I am sure sorry to hear that hubby is up and down again. I know that puts such a great strain on you. What new and interesting quilt projects are you working on?

Marsha, Susan, Julie and the rest, hope you are all well and happy!

Faye
Old 09-13-2005, 11:13 AM   #3  
It is what it is...

Morning Ladies - well my first day at the gym really kicked my butt my muscles are killing me today ... it felt really good to do though, I just have to get past feeling like everyone is staring at me

Amanda - I was doing the elyptical machine, I do not know if that is how it is spelled, but geesh that thing really works ya !! I am trying to get myself really pumped up for the gym since normally I do not like them, but you especially have inspired me to go and get moving so I can get this weight off of me !!!

Faye - My grandma always makes me scarfs and blankets from yarn, she does a great job and I love to get them ...

Susan/Va - Hope dh gets better soon, take care

Better get back to work, no gym today, I am going to start off slow at Mon, Weds, and Friday each week and maybe some Sat or Sun ...

Talk later!!
Satine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 08:13 PM   #4  
2006 - Panda Remix

Hi all,

I got 4 points yesterday. I had a really pleasant revelation about my weight loss last night - I was looking back at my inch loss record and adding up my total inch loss since January. Wow, I was really suprised by how much all these inches and half inches each month add up! In total I have lost 34 inches!! I've lost 7 inches from my hips, 6 inches from my waist , 4 1/2 from my bust and 5 1/2 from each thigh! The ones I am most pleased with are my bust and thighs - I was suprised that I'd lost that much and it's really encouraging to realise that I am losing consistently all over. I thoroughly recommend that you keep a monthly inch loss record - it's really opened my eyes to how much slimmer I am now!

I went to my church house group today which was nice - I felt very welcome, so things on the friends front are looking up!

FAYE - Yes bloody is used quite a lot here - it is still considered a swear word, but not a bad one! Just for the record though - British accents are nothing like Dick van Dyke in Mary Poppins, or Daphne's brother in Frasier - that is the worst ever!

CARRI - Yes, you will ache today - and it will probably be even worse tomorrow! But you'll soon recover and like I said your weight, fitness and body shape will change dramatically - so it's worth all the blood sweat and tears! I think the elliptical is what we call the 'cross trainer' - the one where you are working your arms and legs together like skiing? I love that one - although it is a killer! Don't for one second think that people are looking at you - you are not even that big now and people are much too busy getting on with their own workout. Of course there are always a few real poseurs - but in fact they are the ones who get stared at because they look silly!

Love Amanda x
Amanda Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 07:21 AM   #5  

WEDNESDAY: Today is Wednesday's Woes a day to gripe about the bad and irritating stuff that goes on in our lives!

Amanda:

I will post more later if I can. I am going to be without internet today until my dsl equipment gets here as my darn phone modem quit on me yesterday.

Faye
Old 09-14-2005, 07:45 AM   #6  

Hi everyone!
I'm here...really. I think we're finally done with the huge project I've been working on with that publisher in Los Angeles. I've been made the Articles Editor of the magazine that will be coming out of that project...so I'll be getting an actual salary! Which we soooo need. It's looking like I've "accidentally" started a career (accident, my bum!)

Anyway, the weight thing is holding steady...which is amazing because I'm home all day and the fridge is always staring me in the face. Gas is so expensive now that I really can't even get out. I looked into joining a gym, but the ones around here aren't that great...no pools, or even decent class schedules. I also wanted to take a yoga class in the mornings, but even that isn't looking like it will happen. It's okay, though, something will turn up.

Amanda--you are amazing to me! Truly an inspiration!

Carrie--enjoy the gym--those aches will disappear soon.

Faye--Glad you made it back safe and sound, $6000??? Holy Moly!

Susan/Va--Hope your hubby has a good day today, and you too!

Everyone else, be and happy--

Julie
Mirabelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 10:47 AM   #7  

Hi, ladies. Sitting here waiting for the Hurricane. We are actually supposed to have a tropical storm - Winds of 40-70 miles an hour and rain. Fortunately, we on on the west side of the hurricane as it turns. Biggest worry is flooding - we live in the 100-year flood plain - tidal wetlands. So, depending on what the tide is doing, we may be okay once again.

Faye, thanks for asking about my quilting. Our Guild just had a challenge - "Out of the Blue" and I got third place in the small quilt category. Since I didn't think the quilt was quite as good as what I usually do, I was really surprised. There were 91 entries in all.

Work calls - more later!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 01:51 PM   #8  
It is what it is...

Afternoon Everyone ... just got done eating my lunch here at work and that I would pop in and see what is going on ... today is Weds so that means I am going back to the gym today, and just as I was finally getting over being sore from Monday

Amanda - Yeah I am really glad I joined, I kept putting it off and putting it off and I know I need to firm up while losing weight, plus I seemed to be at a weight loss stand still so hoping this will kick up my metabolism... yeah that eliptical machine is the one where you move your arms back and forth, that seems to be the one that really kicks my butt and burns the most calories, so I will probably do alot more of it today, only made it 10 mins on Monday, but hey it was my first time ... that is so great on all of the lost inches, keep it up!!! You and I are going to be at our goals before you know it !!!!

Julie - Congrats on the job and the salary !! I know what you are talking about with gas prices, I used to run around after work or maybe go home and get back out to do errands, now everything is done at once and no just driving around, it is so ridiculous!!

Susan/Va - Hope you stay dry, and that your hubby is doing well ...

Faye - Hope your internet gets back up soon !!

Okay for Weds woe ( apologize if this is lengthy ) we had a TV delivered yesterday from Best Buy, rather large TV with a nice stand, well the TV was delivered but no stand - okay so I ask the delivery men about my stand, they look at eachother and smile and say "we are from the warehouse, the local store will deliver the stand..." I thought it was odd but I call the local store and they said the delivery men were wrong and that they should have delivered it, so at this point I am getting really nasty as I am getting the run around, I get on the phone with a manager who said he would look into it and call me back, okay so I have not received any apology at this point from anyone...manager calls me back about a 1/2 hour later and said that they never actually had the stand that they sold us and that they would give us the scratched up floor model with no price reduction !!! Okay so me and dh are just hot, I said I would take the floor model but that I was not paying for it ... they said they would have to get back to me on that as well, still no apology or remorse for their error ... long story short I ended up cancelling the stand order and getting a credit on my card for it... still no apology or real explanation from the company or manager ... great customer service from Best Buy - needless to say we will not be shopping there anymore, plus I will be emailing, sending a letter, or speaking to someone higher up in the company regarding this ... I am still mad this morning ....

Okay I think that has been my longest post ever, sorry about the rant!!

Talk later!!
Old 09-14-2005, 04:14 PM   #9  
2006 - Panda Remix

Hello guys!

I got 4 points yesterday - I am on a roll! I have no Wednesday woe - I am just enjoying feeling really happy and positive at the moment! I can't believe that TOM is only a week away and so far I have not been hit by PMS. I have been taking a herbal remedy for 3 months now and it feels like they are really kicking in now. This is just excellent because for years I have suffered the worst PMS , so much so that I ended up taking time off work every month - so any improvement is a real bonus.

FAYE - Hope your internet is back soon!

CARRI - I'm glad you aren't aching so much today! You are right - we will both be at goal soon! I don't think I'll make it this year, but by next Summer I will be hot! Going to the gym will really speed up your metabolism - but it takes a bit of time, so don't expect much loss in the first month. It was only in the second month that I really started losing and now my metabolism is really high. The best thing about having a high metabolism is that you can eat now and again and totally get away with it! I don't blame you for being mad about the TV stand - that is appalling treatment! It actually happened to me once - but they said they had an old stand in the van so I just accepted that (I was renting, not buying).

SUSAN/VA - That is so great that you came third in your quilt contest - your work must be pretty good!

JULIE - Getting a proper salary as an editor is great - you've obviously really impressed them with all your hard work. Well done for maintaining - that's an achievement in itself isn't it? Thanks for your kind words about me - I NEVER thought I would inspire someone, but I must admit I have suprised myself with how far I have come! Once you get your career sorted, I know you will lose the rest of your weight.

Love Amanda x

Last edited by Amanda Panda; 09-14-2005 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:43 AM   #10  

THURSDAY: Today is Time for Us Thursday so let's take some time just for US!!!!!

Amanda

Well, here I am. Brother what a mess. Mine was up and running right away, but it took nearly 3 hours of phone time with a tech support person to get Jack's connected because we have a wireless router and were having problems. It is still jittery, but I hope it improves.

As for my e-mail address, I will just pm all of you, ok?

Carri: I am very proud of you and you kick Best Buy's nasty behind for me girl! You know I have had problems over and over with companies and just got into a nasty thing with Omaha Steaks because in the last 3 weeks they have called here around 75 times and never leave a message. It was telemarketing and they used my contact phone # from an order to solicit business. I hit the roof and of course they said they had rights and back and forth and I finally blew my top and told them off good including reporting them to the BBB and the attorney general because I am on the federal do not call list! I am sorry you didn't get satisfaction. I am afraid I'd tell them to come get their d&^% tv too and go somewhere and buy it.

Amanda: You make me PROUD to know you. I cannot even express how proud I am of how much you have turned your life around. You have made wonderful progress and I cannot say enough!

SusanVA: Hope you and dh aren't getting washed away. Will continue to pray for him and your new situation. CONGRATULATIONS ON THE QUILT WIN!!!!!!

Julie: Way to go on the paying job and it took me an IRS refund and all year to save that much money!

Me, I am going to have to get motivated again, but it is so hot that I just sit and knit right now.

You gals have a wonderful day!

Faye
Old 09-15-2005, 10:51 AM   #11  

Faye, the Federal Do Not Call list does not apply to any company you have ever called for information or done business with. I tried to report a company that kept calling us and that is what I was told. Bummer!

I think we have escaped even the rain from Ophelia...the sun is shining and it is a beautiful day.

Doctor called this morning and my husband has a bacterial infection now. His immune systems just doesn't do the job anymore. So 14 days of antibiotics again.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 02:12 PM   #12  
It is what it is...

Hi Girls just a quick pop in, did 25 mins on the elyptical machine last night, and I had to really, really work at it to stay on that long, my thighs were hurting, so I had 4 points yesterday and am feeling really good about myself lately ... I have been staying OP for a while now but I know the working out at the gym is going to help out greatly.

Amanda - Thanks for the encouraging words ... I know a year from now we will both be ALOT smaller !!! I cannot wait !!!

Faye - Yes, I hate when you get bad customer service, we did decide to keep the TV ... a part of me just hates to give them the business though...
It was funny because I had to go back in for the credit card refund and as soon as they heard me say my name they all started acting funny and real uncomfortable, they must have heard about my rants on the phone !! Oh well they deserved it !!

Susan - Sorry to hear about dh, hope the antibiotics kick in soon!

Hope you all have a great day, I am really sore from the workout yesterday so good thing it is my day off from it ...

See ya!!
Old 09-15-2005, 03:34 PM   #13  
2006 - Panda Remix

Hi all,

I got 2 points yesterday - I was doing fine until I got the late night munchies and had a sandwich!

I'm having a rest day from the gym today, to rest my poor legs before my advanced cycle class tomorrow. Today has been so wet and miserable - Winter is definately on the way which I am not happy about (Sheffield has very wet winters!). I don't mind cold weather as long as it's not wet! The nights are drawing in now too. I have really enjoyed this Summer - I've lost some weight, have been feeling good and getting out to the gym - so I must make sure I don't get low now the seasons are changing.

I talked with Nige last night and told him we are definately over - I've even given him the ring back and he is going to sell it (probably for a fraction of what it cost) and split the money. He's still not going to move out until he has his inheritance through which will hopefully be a few months, but in the meantime both of us know it is over. I feel sad but positive about my future and I know I have made the right decision.

Have a nice evening

Love Amanda x
Old 09-16-2005, 08:42 AM   #14  

FRIDAY: We are changing it up a bit. Today is Fabulous Friday Friends day so call, e-mail or talk to a friend you haven't in awhile to let them know you still care and think about them!

Carri
Amanda

Carri: You will become the workout queen in not time! I think I have a reputation with all retailers. I just don't stand for that crap anymore. Either you want to sell me something and provide the service or you don't and I don't think Best Buy gave a fig. You had the tv and it was paid for so who cares whether or not you got the rest of it? Unfortunately that is the way a lot of places are now adays. I just read an e-mail yesterday from a woman who went to one of the expensive yarn shops here in town, signed up for a class, was told by a sales associate where she could get yarn cheaper than at the yarn shop (I guess this lady was on a fixed income or something) so she did then went back and they wouldn't let her bring it into the store nor take the class without buying new yarn, needles etc from THEIR SHOP. After trying to explain and even pointing out the sales person, who of course denied it all, she got mad because they got so snotty and she and two other patrons walked out of the store (they refused to give her back her class money too) and refusing to go back, the other two patrons took her to another shop they said was better. BUT the continuing saga is the OWNER called her and instead of apologizing etc told the woman her puny little self wouldn't effect her business at all so not to come back! Can you believe it? So she put a warning e-mail on the onine yellow pages website not to frequent the store!

Amanda: You have come so far girl to be able to withstand such an emotional disappointment but still not let you program fall apart around you. I cannot say enough about you and what you have become.

As for me, I am doing lousy and need to set up a plan and get with it. I am not depressed or anything, just am not working my program and exercise and need to get things organized, bought etc. It is best for Jack too.

Boy, we had 3 rounds with AOL last night. It is in Jack's name so he called and spent 15 minutes trying to get the jerk to cancel and give him a confirmation number. He finally told him if he didn't quit the sales pitch to try and get us to stay and give him a confirmation # in 10 seconds he was hanging up on him (the guy refused to give him his supervisor) so Jack hung up on him, I went online and logged into AOL from my dsl and low and behold the e-mail with the cancellation was in Jack's old mailbox and had been in there from about 3 minutes after Jack gave the guy his info! As the moron signed the stupid thing, I am contacting AOL and giving them a piece of my mind about it all. With that being said, BEWARE OF TAKING AOL AND THEN TRYING TO GET OUT OF IT!!!!

Have a good day gals!

Faye
Old 09-16-2005, 11:34 AM   #15  
It is what it is...

Faye - that is so weird, I had the EXACT same experience with AOL when I tried to cancel, I tell everyone do NOT get involved with AOL, I tried to cancel with two phone calls, getting nasty both times and asking for supervisors, they would never give me their supervisor but kept trying to get me to stay on for 3 months if they gave it to me free, I finally made threats and low and behold it was cancelled, I HATE that company... good thing you got away from them...

talk more later all !! Have a good weekend if I do not pop back in, I am leaving work at noon today to go work out and have an afternoon to myself.