Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 09-08-2005, 05:25 PM   #1  

Default Another silly question about protein powder

Hi,

I just was reading Mel's recipe for protein muffins and it occured to me that I am not sure if heating protein powder is sich a good idea. Actually, I always thought that it is a bad idea, so here it goes:

is it possible to make warm protein shake so that protein powder in it retains its properties? I mean, from heating up to 37 degrees C protein denaturates, does it mean it is still useful for us? It is probably silly, but if i would be able to have protein shake in warm condition, I will like it much more (like chocolate flavoured protein shake in water will be like hot chocolate but instead will be full on protein). Or the same - when we use protein powder in muffins - do they still have all the good stuff?

That is from person who warms up lettuce to put into salad I am eager to hear your understanding... If my question sounds dorky, I am a dork, nothing new here
Sashenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 06:02 PM   #2  

I don't think an oven will get the protein hot enough to break it down if that is what you are worried about. In my Lab we autoclave (heat underpressure to hotter than boiling) liquid media containing amino acids all the time, and it doesn't hurt there nutritive value for bacteria.

Regarding denaturation, all protein gets denatured when you digest it anyway. If it passes through your stomach it will be denatured. The only thing to worry about is if the protein has been so harshly treated that certain amino acids have been destroyed.
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 06:32 PM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

Thanks for the answer robert, I was wondering the same since I had heard that you could not cook with protein powder...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 10:03 PM   #4  
Mel

From what I've read, you can cook with whey, soy or egg protein powders but not casein.

As far as protein in general being denatured above 37 degrees C, we cook most of the protein that we eat. I had sushi for dinner, but I'm not going to eat raw eggs or meats!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote