Old 09-08-2005, 03:31 AM   #1  
Laura

Unhappy The Day Has Arrived! (Way OT)

My BABY (she just turned 4) starts pre-K tomorrow (Thursday). It's 2 1/2 hours - 3 days a week.

I have NEVER been apart from her without leaving her with family! I promised my mom I wouldn't cry until I get back to the car!

She's excited to go but also really nervous and NOT happy that I'm LEAVING her there. Eek! I'm hoping she will make it through. She told me that she will cry because she misses me but said, "I'll cry really softly so I don't bother anyone, Mommy."
AWWWWWWWWWWWW!

alphabetsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 08:29 AM   #2  
Downsizing Dee!

Ahhh that must be tough Laura. Pretty soon you'll forget about that sad first day and you'll be back here sharing all of the funny and cute stories that you're little one is bringing home from school.

~Dee
newfiedarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 09:27 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 273.5/see ticker/125-150???

Height: 5'2"

I know how you feel... My daughter has only ever been left with family as well. She just started 1st grade on Tuesday. On her first day of Kindergarten last year, I was a mess -- on the second day! The first day wasn't too bad, she was all excited. But the second day, she was a little weepy when I left, so I cried all the way home. But once she gets there, she loves it.
puff0518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 10:35 AM   #4  

The first day is always tough, especially if your child is weepy and doesn't want to leave you. But, let me say this. I cried the first day of kindergarten but I cried HARDER the on the 4th day when my son just jumped out of the car and said, "bye, mom." Really, who does he think he is acting like he isn't sad to leave me anymore? Now THAT nearly broke my heart!

Don't worry, you will both fall into a routine and you'll be amazed by watching her flourish. In the meantime, just keep some kleenex in the car!
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 11:41 AM   #5  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Although Jacob has been in daycare since he was 3 months old, I know all too well how hard it is when they cry when you leave. During our "move" period Jacob was very weepy when I dropped him off. They really do get over it sooner than you think.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 12:07 PM   #6  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

Oh boy, do I know how you feel!
Talia had her first day of preschool yesterday..and though I SOMEHOW managed not to cry (which is really strange for me!) I felt it ALL day long.
She had a great day and did just fine.

It'll be OK...we'll make it through...us poor Mommies!

xoxo
Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 06:39 PM   #7  
a new year... a new me

Laura-- how did she do?

my youngest (3) started august 15th and goes 5 days x 4 hours a day.
she also had never been away from me. i'm a bit worried because her
teacher called me today and i have to have a meeting with her tomorrow.
YIKES!!!
shedilbry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 06:58 PM   #8  
wip

Height: 5' 10"

l OOh do I ever relate. My eldest is in Grade 1 and my boy (middle child) starts K next week. he had his assessment interview yesterday and I got all weepy b/c I was so proud. I'm a real sap. My squirts are in and out of dc b/c my DH is seasonally employed. I work FT plus... Last year when emily started it was hard. Some sort of strange transition in our lives that I think brought on a sense of loss for me even tho I was home on mat leave with baby#3. My kids love a book called the night b4 kindergarten (to the tune of Nite b4 xmas) that is more about parents having a hard time. The kids do flourish and have an awesome time. My friends have kids starting university which I understand is even harder. Be proud!
wip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 01:30 AM   #9  
Laura

Everything went GREAT!!!! She LOVED IT!

I was afraid she would clam up even though she's pretty outgoing. But, when we got there, she was talking to everyone telling them her name and then spelling it for everyone. She was telling anyone who would listen about her Dora backpack and the fact that she JUST turned 4.

I only stayed for about 5 minutes and I could tell she was comfortable so I told her that I loved her and said our goodbyes - and left! I didn't cry at all though! I felt really good about it and I could tell she was happy already - she was so excited and ready to go.

She was excited to see me after the 2 1/2 hours and said she missed me and her little brother but that she didn't cry. Some of the kids cried she said, but not her. They made calendars and talked about apples and read books and played outside and had graham crackers for snack. She gave me the whole run-down. She can't wait to go back - I'm so glad she loves it.

Thanks everyone for your kind words (although you do have me a little scared about Days 2,3, and 4 now ) - I really appreciate it. I had trouble sleeping last night because I was nervous - I"ll sleep well tonight.

Old 09-09-2005, 08:38 PM   #10  

I am glad you and your daughter are surviving the first days of school. I don't remember feeling bad when my children went to school for the first time. (I have 3) I didn't feel bad when they all left home. I did feel lost and unwanted when by youngest child was able to drive. No one needed me anymore. Crazy huh?
jmacway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 11:27 PM   #11  
a new year... a new me

i had a harder time with my oldest (6) moving on to kindergarten this year. LOL he has health related developmental delays so its very hard on me to have to let him grow up.
shedilbry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 10:32 AM   #12  
Laura

Shelly ~ How did the meeting with the teacher go? (((HUGS)))
Old 09-12-2005, 12:02 AM   #13  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Ya, Shelly...what happened?
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote