Old 09-06-2005, 09:57 PM   #1  
Green Tea Goddess

Lightbulb What do you think of this idea?

I've become a HUGE Survivor fan lately. I've been watching all the old episodes that have been airing on OLN network and I even renting DvDs of past seasons. I have no idea where it all came from, but it's given me a fantastic idea. What if they made a Survivor for overweight people? You see how much weight these contestants are losing? I wouldn't mind that. All the physical challenges, healthy foods... it would be great. Send 16 overweight, out of shape individuals to an island somewhere and watch them try to survive. I LOVE it... anyone else? I wonder how you would go about bringing that idea up to the network. Maybe I'm just going Survivor crazy. I'm even craving rice like you wouldn't believe!
Venus In Mourning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 01:25 AM   #2  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

We love Survivor, too -- Wish OLN was part of our digital cable lineup! They make us pay extra for that one and we just won't do it. Between Survivor, The Amazing Race, The Biggest Loser, and our assorted health and tech shows, we've got a lot of recording to do this season! Best get a treadmill, LOL.
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 02:39 AM   #3  
Crazy Canuck

Another Survivor fan here. As for your idea...well, I'm not so sure. I don't like the idea of "fat" people being centred out as if they can't Outwit, Outlast and Outplay (or connive, complete and compete) along with (or as well as) the rest of the population and have to have a show to themselves. In fact I'm thinking there's been too many young model types on the last few seasons, with the token olderster, gay and racial minority thrown into the mix (including the occasional larger person). I'd like to see more diversified and balanced casts. In my mind, the first survivor WAS a great mix of old (Rudy, Sonja & B.B.), young and cute (Colleen & Jenna), middle-aged (Sue & Gretchen), gay and heavy-set (Rich), African-American (Gervase & Ramona) and so on. I still think the first season was the best entertainment-wise. I note that the upcoming cast is white (save for one Latina), young and mostly buff. I guess the producers think sexy young women in tiny bikinis and hot guys draw bigger ratings than "regular" folks.
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 09:25 AM   #4  

We stopped watching TV 2 years ago when our kids came home through adoption. We didn't want them learning English from TV. We don't miss it -- but I DO miss SUrvivor. I am so hrilled to learn they are out on DVD -- because we do have a small TV/DVD combo that we use for Netflix pics. Looks like I'll be adding Survivor to the mix. Thanks for the info.
irishgreengables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 10:30 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

I love, love love Survivor but the last few shows have just been so so and I think it's because they aren't getting enough diversity on the program. I think it was Survivor Africa where they had the old vs. young tribe and that's when they did their first tribal switch. So far I've yet to see a better season than the first one.

speaking of reality shows I'm loving the battle of the network reality stars on bravo.
http://www.bravotv.com/Battle/ It has people from all sorts of the Reality shows and it's patterned after the 70s battle of the network celebrity stars.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 01:31 PM   #6  
Green Tea Goddess

Well... the reason for this thread was mainly frustration because I decided that I think I could really do well on the show and I wanted to apply for the next one but you have to be in a certain weight range for your height. That really gets me mad because my doctor could tell the producers that I am in excellent shape despite my size. I really wish they would loosen their grip on that rule.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:07 PM   #7  

I dunno Venus, it would have to be done really well to not be taken the wrong way and suffer a bunch of backlash. I remember having quite a debate about The Biggest Loser when it first aired for this very reason. And while it may still have it's problems and be somewhat exploitive, I think they were able to turn it into a poignant and heartfelt show about the real struggles of obesity and weight loss. Doing an overweight version of Survivor may just come off too showy and turn into a "hey look at what the fat chick can't do" type of fiasco. But I do think the idea would be worth exploring if it could be done tastefully. I know I would at least give it a shot!

That sucks about the weight restrictions but I do understand their reasoning behind it, they've got to look out for everyone's best interests. I say, use that frustration as motivation to take some of this weight off, then go and apply next year! You know I'll be rooting for ya all the way!!

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 06:11 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

I've downloaded the application several times and I don't remember seeing anywhere on there about there being a weight requirement. I haven't seen one lately though. Okay I read over the last application where they are casting for the next one (not guatamala) and I never saw on there where you had to be a certain height/weight. They do stress that you must be in excellent physical and mental shape over and over. I think as long as you can prove that you are physically fit despite your size it shouldn't matter. Here is a link to that application although it won't be applicable anymore.
http://www.cbs.com/primetime/survivor_application/
HTH
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 10:39 PM   #9  
Green Tea Goddess

That's a different application from the one I read. Maybe I do have a chance after all. Maybe next year you will see me on tv. I think I am going to take Beverly's advice and get as fit as I can and keep at it. I just hope they aren't after sex appeal over safety concerns. I think having people over 70 like Rudy was more a concern than having a young overweight person. You know when you reach your breaking point no matter what your age or fitness level, and they're not going to let anything happen to you regardless. I guess I really am frustrated about that.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:25 AM   #10  
Laura

I love Survivor too - but I also enjoyed it more when the contestants were more diverse. It was so interesting! I'll take it the way it is now too...I guess.

Apply Venus! You never know!!! :cheering:
alphabetsoup is offline   Reply With Quote