Old 09-03-2005, 09:28 AM   #1  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Changing Tastes

I went grocery shopping today, and was looking to stock up on my breakfast protein. I usually take a piece of fruit and something dairy in my bag to work, then eat it when I get to my desk. Those little cups of cottage cheese are the best, but I also get low-fat string cheese and yogurt cups, to give myself some variety.

Well, I already had the cottage cheese and cheese in my cart, and was lookign at the yogurts. And all I could think of was how overwhelmingly sweet they usually are. The last couple of times I've had yogurt, even the "blended fruit" kind are cloyingly sweet to my taste.

This is a change. I've never liked overly sweet things -- I prefer cake with minimum frosting, if any, and things like that. But yogurt? With all the different varieties out there, they all taste pretty much the same. The only thing I've really paid attention to when choosing yogurt before is the protein and fat counts, and whether it's sweetened naturally or artificially. (In yogurt, I find the aftertaste of artificial sweeteners is more aparent than in, say, diet soda, which I can tolerate.)

I looked at all the normal kinds I get. I figured Yoplait with its custardy texture was probably the only one that wouldn't be too sweet for me. But my "mouth memory" was cringing at the taste-image of cloyingly sweet yogurt for breakfast. So I looked for.... just simple flavored yogurt. I know I can't eat the stuff plain, but the vanilla and coffee yogurts aren't usually as over-sweet as the fruit kinds.

I finally ended up buying the vanilla and coffee yogurts. We'll see how it goes next week at work. Maybe eventually I WILL end up eating the plain yogurt.

Has anyone else found that their tastes change over time when they're eating healthier things? I've really cut back on sweets and treats... and it seems my palate is adjusting. I find myself looking forward to veggies -- the fresh taste and simple smells -- instead of just eating them to make sure I get my five a day. I feel like I may actually be learning to listen to my body in some things. Amazing thought, isn't it?
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 09:36 AM   #2  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Absolutely. There have been times where I've felt like I've earned an "off day", gone to the supermarket to pick up something I wouldn't usually let myself eat, and found myself heading back to the healthier food because the stuff I used to eat doesn't actually appeal any more. I don't even think about getting a takeaway as a treat, not because I wouldn't allow myself one, but because I don't want one.

I've always found sugary soft drinks too sweet (I usually find the diet versions too sweet too, to be honest), and full fat yoghurt is too creamy for me. I'm even (and I'm about to say something I never thought I'd say) finding that chocolate doesn't taste as good as I remember it, it tastes more artificial and sweet than I'm used to now, and almost makes me stop eating it. Not quite though, not yet!

The same with alcohol. I never really tried to give up or cut down that much, but I've just found myself drinking less and less over time.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 10:51 AM   #3  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by synger
The last couple of times I've had yogurt, even the "blended fruit" kind are cloyingly sweet to my taste.

Yes, American yogurt tastes too sweet to me too. I thought I remembered seeing a commercial for a brand of yogurt with less sugar, but I haven't seen it at the store yet. I used to buy plain yogurt and mix in the fruit and a little honey myself, but I've gotten lazier and eat the too sweet stuff
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 11:21 AM   #4  

My tastes have changed. But, more than anything, I think my standards have just gotten much, much higher. For instance, it isn't so much that I think M & M's or Snicker bars taste bad, I just find that a bite or two of something really decadent is much more satisfying than an entire bag of regular candy.

Not long ago I'd eat anything you put in front of me as long as it was covered in gravy or cream sauce. I've finally figured out that the food underneath is just as good all by itself. So, again, it isn't that I don't think those toppings taste good but they aren't necessary. They take away from the flavor of the foods I used to put them on.

Fast foods are a big one for me too. I used to be the drive-thru queen. Now, when I drive by one I almost gag from the greasy smell. I won't ever be able to swear them off all together and I can handle a salad or grilled chicken sandwich, etc. if we are on the road or I'm in a pinch. Still, that frying smell used to be appealing and lure me in and now it just seems gross.

What has been interesting to me is that I still EXPECT to like all of these things. I'll snag a french fry or a piece of candy from DH thinking it is going to be the greastest thing ever since I haven't had one in so long. Then, once I look at it or pop it in my mouth - nope, I just flat out don't enjoy them anymore. I can't help thinking how much BETTER one of my healthier choices would be. Weird.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 02:15 PM   #5  

Absolutely! It's amazing isn't it? Regular candy bars taste oily and cheap, and a lot of the more decadent things are far too rich for me now. Plus my body can't seem to tolerate these things at all anymore. Sandi and Jill can attest to that, when I splurged on Cookies-n-Cream Haagen Daze (sp??) ice cream in Chicago, it nearly killed me the next morning! My poor tummy was not very happy with me that day!

I find it amusing just how much I truly love the foods I eat now. I actually crave my yogurt and the yummy salads and wraps I make. I'd much rather eat the food I prepare than eat out anymore. That is, unless we're going to the Chinese buffet as a planned treat meal, mmmmmm... Chinese! YUM! Oops, sorry, let's focus here!

Quote:
What has been interesting to me is that I still EXPECT to like all of these things. I'll snag a french fry or a piece of candy from DH thinking it is going to be the greatest thing ever since I haven't had one in so long. Then, once I look at it or pop it in my mouth - nope, I just flat out don't enjoy them anymore. I can't help thinking how much BETTER one of my healthier choices would be. Weird.
I couldn't agree more! It's like, I'm supposed to like this stuff, the old me would have scared them down with nary a thought. But now, ewwww! And the smell is almost sickening. I just don't get how it's possible for our tastes to change that much?! But thank goodness they did, right?!!

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 02:33 PM   #6  
Green Tea Goddess

I totally agree. I only started my diet a couple weeks ago, but I find myself really loving the new healthier things I have discovered. You know what's delicious? A couple low fat Ritz crackers with low fat cream cheese spread on them and a pinch of Mrs Dash on top. YUMMERS! The thought of that months ago would have turned my stomach.
Venus In Mourning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 02:52 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Definitely! I used to drink tons of Diet Coke, and now the thought of soda upsets my stomach. The thought of eating a French fry makes me queasy, and I'm with you on the Yoplain yogurt. I've given up on anything but plain yogurt with fruit and sweetened to taste with a little Splenda. It could happen to you, too!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 05:43 PM   #8  
30lbs gone forever!!

I agree 100%!

I amaze myself everyday with how much my tastes have changed, like jawsmom said, I still expect to like all of the junk I used to eat and when I have a bite of something bad for me I'm still amazed that it just doesn't taste good anymore. I absolutely can't eat fast food anymore, the grease and fat make me soooooo sick. I used to be able to eat the greasiest fattiest meals that exist and have no ill effects! Another thing I find is I don't like chips nearly as much as I used to, before I could sit down and eat a WHOLE BAG and now I'm satisfied with just 2-3 chips. So many of the bad things I used to eat just aren't satisfying..... I find myself craving things like ww toast with a little bit of peanut butter, yogurt, and plain popcorn when before I didn't even like these things!!! They were what I would settle for if I had nothing else. It's still sooooo weird to me.
krysidaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 12:58 AM   #9  

I find regular pop (soda) tastes like syrup. I just can no longer drink it. I also find yogurt way too sweet. I flavour low fat plain yogurt with sugar-free homemade peach or berry freezer jam. Yum! I also like my own wraps verses restaurant. I also have an intolerance to heavily fatty foods. My stomach also can not tolerate heavily processed, refined or fatty foods. Thank goodness!
Jenaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 02:57 PM   #10  
Laura

YES! I said this in another thread somewhere...but I used to get a "treat" every week when I'd go grocery shopping - my favorite candy bar - YUM! I would SAVOR it, but you know, I rarely get it now. The last few times I've had it, it just wasn't as good as I remembered.

Also, a few nights after my daughter's birthday - there was cake left in the freezer (actually, there's still some in there - nearly 3 weeks later!!!) - I had a particularly bad day, the kids were in bed, and I decided that instead of having a half piece (I had cut them into half portions), I was going to have a WHOLE piece of cake. Ugh - it was sickening - I didn't finish it and I was sick to my stomach after. Believe me - I LOVE cake! I can't resist it! But - yuk - I haven't had any since.

So, yes, I think your tastes do change - I just hope it sticks.
alphabetsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 08:36 AM   #11  
.::Princess::.

S/C/G: 308/288/150

Height: 5'8"

I've been finding the longer I am working at my goal the more my tastes have been changing also. Like my new thing to ditch lean cuisines and eat real food... I'm trying to just listen to my body and it must be time. I can relate to the whole thinking about how something will taste is WAY better than how things really taste (i.e. cookies, sweets, etc.) I still like fast food and stuff which is TERRIBLE of me but in time I'll get over it. It's never as good as you think it's going to be either and it's also MORE expensive!
SnShn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 10:30 AM   #12  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Wow! What a response. I thought I was alone with my too-sweet yogurt. And protein bars, and breakfast cereals, and muffins. *laughs* For me, it seems to be the cheap sweet things that don't seem as tasty and comforting as before -- candy bars, funnel cakes, Hostess anything, Little Debbies, doughnuts. Rich things like good cheesecake or decadent chocolates still appeal to me, though. But those were always "special" treats rather than everyday treats, and I find them much easier to relegate to the "once in a great while" category. I savor and enjoy, then move on.

On the other hand, I will be the first to admit that the fatty/savory things still sing their siren-songs to me. Pizza is a twice a month staple in our home, and we always order pepperoni w/ extra cheese. I enjoy every greasy, fattening mouthful. (I am to cheese as Homer Simpson is to doughnuts.) But I find that I am satisfied with two slices now, where I used to eat four before. So maybe that's a different sort of adjustment. And quality is a much more important factor. I LOVE onion rings. But whereas I used to eat any kind, anywhere, now I am much pickier. If I'm going to indulge in a few onion rings, they better be tasty, not dripping with grease, with a nice firm bite of onion, nicely textured and, well, worth the calories, darn it. So Burger King rings, with their french fry taste and their soggy minced onion texture, no longer satisfy. But Popeye's onion rings are still wonderful (unless their oil is too cool when they fry and they end up greasy and that's the only texture you can feel).

I'm fascinated with how my tastes are changing and refining as I eat healthier. And I'm tickled pink that others can relate.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 05:45 PM   #13  

I just wanted to add a little more here. Jill wrote something in the journal buddy thread that got me thinking.

Quote:
Sure, I DO enjoy the foods I eat now, BUT I still crave (and love the taste of) pizza, burgers, cheesecake, ice cream etc. I can still eat those foods without being sick to my stomach (like poor Beverley) or being disgusted by the grease or sweetness. I'm sure I'll always have that fat state of mind and the capacity to eat in excess those foods which are definitely not part of a weight-loss plan. Oh well, c'est la vie. I do enjoy my grilled chicken and spinach salad, really, and rarely indulge in those items that can set me off. Its not worth it. Anyway, as time goes by it sure does become a "lifestyle change" because we're still eating healthier and exercising (and it DOES become more natural over time ~ 3 years for me) even though we might have to work really hard sometimes to fight the cravings (or learn to indulge in a little, when we want a lot). No, its not particularly easy, but its what we have to do and the benefits we derive far outweigh the guilty pleasure of overeating (which is just so darn temporary before the disgust and guilt arrives anyway). So there, you are definitely not alone and it certainly doesn't mean we can't do it ~ because we ARE doing it!
My desire for these foods is still overwhelming at times and I'm sure will never go away. I will always be a junk food junkie at heart. Just the smell of freshly baked cookies or the sight of a hot fudge sundae still makes my heart skip a beat and my mouth water. The fact that my body sometimes can't handle them, or that they may not taste quite the way I remember, doesn't deter my food addicted brain from obsessing about them, or from finding myself spiraling into a binge at times. I have to say, I feel so grateful that I truly love the foods I eat now, because if I were forcing myself to choke down healthy foods? Well, let's just say, this wouldn't have been the last time I had to start over for me.

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 08:54 PM   #14  

I totally agree. In fact, I recently passed on my made up wheat-free, sugar free (maple syrup and orange juice sweetened) muffin recipe to someone and, after making them, she told me they were not sweet enough and bland. I LOVE them, however, so I guess I am just no longer accostomed to sweet foods. I also allow myself an ounce of dark chocolate daily and I cannot remember the last time I took myself up on that. And this from a woman who devoured bags of dove singles at one time.

The other thing is that I find myself craving fruit and fresh veggies. Of the flip side, I find myself thinking about foods I used to LOVE and gagging -- like Culver's frozen custard. I would much rather have a bowl of plain yogurt with a little cherry juice and blueberries.

It does make sense since we are not bioogically programmed to desire fast food and processed food. We had to train ourselves to liek that stuff too. In fact, I remember training myself to like Coke because apartame gives me a headache. Now, the thought of a Coke is akin to the though of drinking syrup.

The trick is maintaining the healthier taste preferences.
irishgreengables is offline   Reply With Quote