Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 08-28-2005, 04:10 PM   #1  
yawaii29

S/C/G: 143/143/130

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

Default Silly question?

When you all make your protein shakes do you make them with water or milk? And if you choose one over the other why?

Thanks
yawaii29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 04:14 PM   #2  
Mel

I use water for a couple of reasons.
1) I usually have my shakes on the road or at the gym. Water is available. It doesn't go bad if left unrefrigerated.

2) I don't want the calories or carbs from the milk. I eat a very strictly controlled diet and milk is such an incomplete protein that I count it as a carb. It's full of lactose, a natural sugar. On the plus side, it's got a lot of calcium, but I get plenty from other sources.

For me, the negatives (I'd have to give up some other food) outweigh the benefits.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 04:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I use water. Partly because I have to watch how much dairy I eat (upsets my tummy) and partly for calories sake. I take extra calcium.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 05:32 PM   #4  
Meg

Water here too, for exactly the same reasons as Mel.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 07:48 PM   #5  

Default Water

Water -- less calories and less dairy. Take calcium supplements and get my dairy from yogurt or cottage cheese.

Not a silly question, though!

Luanne
mscelica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 08:12 AM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

Water here too for the same reasons as above, too many cals!! Take a calcium sup on the side....
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 08:33 AM   #7  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Oooh I make mine with milk! Because milk is good for you! And I would've thought that they taste positively rank with water! I've just never entertained the idea! Also if I have protein powder in milk with a banana - almost a complete meal in just one glass!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 08:37 AM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

I do add frozen strawberries, splenda and vanillato my PP though so I don't miss the milk taste...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 08:45 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Me too, I use plain powder so that the flavour is up to me. Peach/pineapple. strawberry/kiwi, mixed berry are some of my favourites. I add a touch of splenda too.

oh, oh, oh and crushed flaxseed.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 09:03 AM   #10  
Mel

Milk isn't necessarily good for you unless you are a baby cow, a young human, or not getting enough calcium elsewhere.

The claims by the dairy industry that diary helps you lose weight have been debunked. Turns out those people were eating less in general and it had nothing to do with the calcium.

The taste of the shake depends on what you put in it. I've tasted some protein powders that just taste vile to me, no matter what is in them. Others swear by them and think they are delicious. I think the ones that I use taste delicious. Before I cut back to 5 meals a day, meal 6 during the summer was always an "ice cream" made from protein powder, ice, frozen fruit, and a bit of water, blended until thick and smooth. It tasted just like soft-serve ice cream, or frozen yogurt to me (keep in mind I haven't had the real thing in years!)

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 12:33 PM   #11  
Lovin' Zumba!

Once you've had to clean out your milk-based shake shaker after leaving in a hot car for a day, you'll know why water is much more practical!

I started out using milk in my Myo Lite's but have graduated to using water. I don't even miss the milk now, I'm so used to what they taste like made with water.

Another tip is that if you are taking Udo's or flaxseed oil, 1-2 T added to a shake made with water gives it a much more "creamy" consistency than just plain water.
Cindy
BfL_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 05:20 PM   #12  

water water water
flipafart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 05:20 AM   #13  

Hi,

Just to give a dissonant voice here...I use orange juice. I like the flavor of orange juice with soy protein powder and aspartame. And I cannot tolerate milk. I eat yoghurt and I use a calcium supplement as well.

rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote