Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 09-02-2005, 08:56 AM   #1  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Default Walking to, from school good for teen health

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9118034/

An interesting article about how walking to and from school made teens more active throughout the day. It suggests that people walk to and from school and work to get such benefits. HA, if only these Scottish researchers realized that not everyone lives in New York City--I am not walking the 12 miles to my job (or the 33 miles to my job from my new apartment when I move next month!)!

Also, when I was in middle school and high school, we were not allowed to walk to and from school. If we arrived on school grounds by foot and a faculty member caught us, we were not allowed inside the school. We were also not allowed to leave school grounds on foot. This may have something to do with liability for the school should something happen to a student while walking to/from school. Our middle school and high school were less than a mile apart from one another, and I was not allowed to walk from the middle school to the high school to meet my sister (who had a car to drive us home). Instead, she was required to drive that less-than-a-mile distance to come pick me up. I would understand if it was a busy road, but the road between the two schools ONLY went to the two schools--no other homes or businesses or anything, not even any adjoining roads...only trees! Like I said, though, I'm sure it's a liability thing.

I guess I was just kind of annoyed that researchers can come up with unreasonable solutions for increasing health in today's world. Sure, some people could walk, but I would think the majority of us travel too far to work to walk there.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 09:20 AM   #2  

My girls have to walk to / from school - the rule at our school is if it's less than a mile and a half, the kids can't ride a bus. It's fine when it's nice outside, but I leave for work before they leave for school and if it's storming or 10 degrees outside, they still have to walk to school. and my 10yo is well over a mile each way. Yea, it's good exercise for them, but there should be plans for bad weather that the kids could ride the bus. Guess it's a district problem not exercise....just adding my two cents

strangely enough - both of my girls walk to and from school and both are overweight - so how much does that little bit help??!
patswill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 09:24 AM   #3  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Ahh, but imagine how much MORE overweight they might be if they didn't have to walk every day? I do agree, though, that it is ludicrous to force them to walk in bad weather. That's just not fair to have to show up to school completely frozen or dripping wet!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 09:30 AM   #4  

Very true - and now that I'm starting to watch what I eat, I'm hoping it rubs off on them and they start losing too. It's the catch 22 - they get aggrivated when I say something isn't really good for you to eat - and want to eat it, but I have finally noticed my 15yo checking portion size and calories, so hopefully something is soaking in!!

I am luckier than some, even though I am gone to work already - the girls can call my mom who lives close by to pick them up and take them to school if it is too awful bad outside. They know it's a worst case senario call - can't do it every day, but at least grandma is there.
patswill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 06:45 PM   #5  

life can be hard but I think it will be harder for kids who are obese. even though obesity will soon be the norm.
flipafart is offline   Reply With Quote