Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 08-30-2005, 09:46 PM   #1  

Default Eggplant Parmigiana

Hey, I was wondering if anyone had any recipes for a lite eggplant parmigianae without all that oil. If you do it would reall be great. My parents have a lot of eggplants from their garden and I ussually make this for me and them ( mostly me ), but eggplants just sponge up oil. Oh, and if you have the calories facts, that would just be awesome. Thank you so much!
redhorror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 11:37 PM   #2  
"Love Me Some Me"

S/C/G: H:267 C: see ticker G:150ish

Height: 5'4

Well, Redhorror . . . . This is not exactly eggplant parmigiana, but it might help you use the eggplant AND help w/ the homefood type feeling you get from the original. I just happend to have picked up a couple of lf, ff cookbooks today and there is there following listed. . . . Also, here is a link to a website that lists lowfat EP P - http://www.malenaskitchen.com/recipe...armigiana.html -. This maybe more your speed w/ the authentic herbs and flavour. . . .

PARMESAN EGGPLANT BAKE

1 small eggplant (about 8 0z)
2 tbsp ff chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste
1 c chopped ripe tomatoes (about 2 medium) drained of juice
2 tbs italian seasoned bread crumbs
2 tbsp grated ff parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp dried basil

(This is cut down version of the instructions). Preheat oven to 400. Spray cookie sheet w/ cooking spray. Peel egplant and cut in to 1/2 inch slices. Place in water to cover and add about 2tbs salt let stand for 10 minuts.

Place the chicken broth in a shallow dish. Drain eggplant and pat dry. Dip the slices in the broth and arrange in a sinfle layer on prepared cookie sheet or jelly roll pan. Season w/ salt and pepper if desired. Bake for 2 minuts or until almost tender. Remove from oven but leave oven on.

Scatter the chopped tomato evenly over each slice. Combine the bread crumbs w/ the cheese and basil; sprinkle evenly over the tomatoes. Return the eggplant to the oven abd bake 5-6 more min. until the crumbs are lightly browned.

- lists just a trace of fat . . .

From: "Italian: So Fat, Low Fat, No Fat by Betty Rohde (pg 154)
ISBN#0-684-82920-7
jenhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 10:06 AM   #3  
it's always something

I haven't personally tried it, but a reader sent us a recipe for a Balsamic Eggplant Parmesan that sounds really good. The readers that have tried it have loved it and given great reviews -

http://www.3fatchicks.com/cookbook/viewrecipe/819

This one also has received good reviews and calls for oven-frying the eggplant
http://www.3fatchicks.com/cookbook/viewrecipe/802
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 11:57 PM   #4  

Thank you both so much, all these suggestions sound mouth watering. I should have thought to look in the 3fc food section, though. I'm a little embarrased I didn't. Still Jenhai makes a great suggestion. I will definitely be trying one of these recipes soon.
redhorror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 09:56 AM   #5  
. future bride .

Hello,
I make eggplant parmesan all the time, and to cut out calories and fat what I do is bake the breaded slices instead of frying them, use eggbeaters to dredge the slices instead of whole eggs, and to use a mixture of parmesan and mozzarella instead of just the mozzarella.

You could use FF cheese, and SF tomato sauce and such, but it makes such a huge difference in tast to use the real stuff, IMHO.
ophelia783 is offline   Reply With Quote