Old 08-27-2005, 09:02 AM   #1  

Default The Greatest 2 Calories of My Week!

Hi all,

I'm sure other threads like this have been created so I am sorry if I am being redundant. Just wondering what diet products satisfy everyone. Being that most of you are American you have access to more product then us Canadians, (damn you Coke Zero, damn you).

For me it's Stewarts Diet Root beer. I on occasion during work will run over to a convenience store and pick up a bottle of this stuff to have with my lunch. I would be lying if i didn't tell you i feel this stuff my be part of my saving grace in the fight against my addiction to Coke. I love it, it tastes like Root beer. If they didn't put the diet and the nutritional info on the bottle i would not believe that it was. So that's my little diet product that helps me get through the week, what are yours?
Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 09:10 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I am a diet Coke lover! I'm also sure I don't kow what I'd do without Ilene's pancake. I pretty sure the recipe is in the nutrition section.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 09:45 AM   #3  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

My two are not necessarily "diet" products, as in they are not low-calorie versions of something else. But they are the tools I reach for often.

Cottage cheese: It has a lot of flavor, a lot of protein, is portable (in little cups), tastes wonderful. I can take it to work for breakfast, or eat a couple spoonsful when I get home from work, knowing the protein in it will keep me from killing someone before dinner time. I use it in cooking to substitute for higher-fat cheeses. If I start getting the late-night munchies, I start with a spoonful or two of cottage cheese, and often that's all I'll need to cut the "salt/cheese" cravings. It's good stuff.

Protein bars: These are handy, portable, and some of them are tasty (some are just TOO sweet or cloying for my taste). I wait until they're on sale and buy a bunch, so they're not too expensive. And knowing I have some in my drawer at work, or my purse when we're at the fair, or at home when we're running around too much to eat properly, really helps me, mentally, to know I have an option. Again, for me, protein is the key. I was eating granola bars for breakfast for a while, and it's just not the same. They didn't keep me satisfied because they were all grain and sugar. I need that boost of slow-burning, long-lasting protein for satiety.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 10:43 AM   #4  

Nash
My food of choice to combat hunger ( and just because I love it) is homemade soup. For me, something warm is filling and comforting. I can use it as a snack food without a lot of calories. In a pinch, I will even use canned soup.

My pick-me-up is usually iced tea or fountain diet pepsi.
Chefmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 11:04 AM   #5  
Crazy Canuck

Astro fat-free, sugar-free yogurt in the indivdual cups! A large variety of flavours, good source of calcium, great to eat at any meal (or as a treat) and travels well.

I used to be a Coke freak, but now I can't stand it (seems so thick and syrupy). I eventually became a Diet Coke freak (after awhile the "tinny" after-taste disappeared and I loved how light and bubbly it is). However, I was drinking too much of it and getting headaches from the sugar substitute so I switched to refreshing carbinated mineral waters (lemon, lime or orange flavoured).

Not actually a diet food, but in the summer its watermelon! I just love the stuff and am happy to have it as dessert when the others are having cake or ice cream. I take it to work in tupperware containers to snack on during the day and on weekends/evenings will cut a slice when I just have to eat something between meals. Ahhh, when summer's over I'm going to miss that sweet, juicy, fleshy treat.....
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 01:14 PM   #6  
undeniably moby

I'm not a big fan of diety products -- I tend to prefer the full fat/sugar/whatever evil it contains thing itself, and just have it in small quantities. I find it more satisfying, and there's not as much icky chemical stuff going into my boday that way.

HOWEVER...

There are a few things I really dig. I've always loved cottage cheese, and over the past year or so I've moved to the lowfat variety. I love it for all the reasons synger listed, and it's just plain yummy.

The South Beach peanut butter bars ROCK. I'm not on the South Beach plan, nor am I a protein bar lover in general, but my boyfriend brought some home and they've become one of my favorite mid-morning snacks. They're a great energy boost and are surprisingly filling. AND...they don't taste diety.

I'm a big cheese purist, but I honestly can barely tell the difference between lowfat Laughing Cow cheese and full fat. One triangle along with some grapes or spread on apple slices makes me very happy.

And finally, I'm in love with Kokomo flavored spring water. We got suckered into trying it at Costco a couple weeks ago, and man. It's some tasty stuff. I like plain water and drink tons of it, but my boyfriend and stepdaughter not so much. They liked it so much that we wound up picking up two cases and it's almost gone. When I've got a hankering for something like fruit punch or sugary juice? It's a great substitute.
satylite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 02:27 PM   #7  

Diet Cherry Coke is my godsend. I drink it at lunch, then I cut off caffeine at 4:00 so I can sleep through the night. Otherwise I drink water.

I also try to eat natural/whole foods and just limit the amounts. One thing I have found, though, is Carb Options peanut butter. Because it limits carbs it's sugar free. Splenda is listed as the last ingredient--after the vitamins and minerals, so there's not much of that. I can't stand "natural" peanut butter, so this, for me, is a good option.
mousie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 03:27 PM   #8  

Dandelion and Burdock diet is a real treat for me (it's kinda like root beer, but not - very Northern English!)

But my all time favourite diet friendly treat is a big punnet of blueberries. I love them!!!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 03:52 PM   #9  

I so love me some FRESCA!!!!, that and my Diet Dr. Pepper (with or without cherry vanilla)

Also food-wise raspberries rock! I craved them during my whole pregnancy and even now I can't live without them.
Inca's Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 04:34 PM   #10  
Tenacious

I was a coke fiend, but I have no control when it comes to soda so I've completely eliminated it from my diet. But now I appreciate water more than I could have ever imagined!

As far as foods go, I resort to 94% popcorn and dill pickles to cure any salt cravings and I turn to the WW chocolate mink bars to chase away my chocolate cravings.
DeterminedInGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 05:15 PM   #11  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

I think cottage cheese is the nastiest thing that man ever invented. You know that stuff is just spoiled milk right? What is the point of putting an expiration date on cottage cheese?...but I digress.

I don't know if this fits the category, but my product is turkey. Good old fashioned turkey. It is low in fat, high in protein, and it is good stuff. Having a turkey sandwich at lunch with lettuce, tomatoe, and mustard is so much better and healthier than something greesy or cheese filled.

One of the weight loss changes that I made is that I rarely, if ever, eat red meat now. I'm all about the turkey and chicken.
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 05:29 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeterminedInGA
I was a coke fiend
Uh-Oh, not sure we've got the right kind of support for you here!! JK!

I absolutely love Coke Zero! I usually only drink water and vast amounts of coffee but I always pick one of these up when I do the grocery shopping. I also really like diet A&W root beer and diet Sunkist. One of my saving graces has been Blue Bunny fat free no sugar added black cherry yogurt. It's only 80 calories and I freeze it like ice cream which makes it sooooo good! I literally eat this stuff every day, and wouldn't know what to do without it, YUM!

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 06:14 PM   #13  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_H
I think cottage cheese is the nastiest thing that man ever invented. You know that stuff is just spoiled milk right? What is the point of putting an expiration date on cottage cheese?...but I digress.
cottage cheese and marmite on toast. makes me weak at the knees thinking about it. not really the healthiest thing in the world but sex on toast!
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 06:19 PM   #14  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Green tea. I have a large coffee mug I got @ Kohl's & steep 1 bag green tea w/1 bag peach tea. Perfect.

I like the occasional diet soda, but my real diet secret? Going grocery shopping & leaving healthier things at work.

Currently there I have green tea, peach tea, ff bavarian pretzels (so crunchy & good), and 10 cans of Campbell's Healthy Request soups. I only get a half hour for lunch & that's not enough. Monday I will get some bananas & apples & leave them there for easy snack options.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 06:23 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiaby
Uh-Oh, not sure we've got the right kind of support for you here!! JK!

I absolutely love Coke Zero! I usually only drink water and vast amounts of coffee but I always pick one of these up when I do the grocery shopping. I also really like diet A&W root beer and diet Sunkist. One of my saving graces has been Blue Bunny fat free no sugar added black cherry yogurt. It's only 80 calories and I freeze it like ice cream which makes it sooooo good! I literally eat this stuff every day, and wouldn't know what to do without it, YUM!

Beverly
Still can't get Coke Zero in Canada The Ebay thing didn't work out.. & I sadly contacted coke and they gave me some typical corporate diplomatic answer like when Coke Canada feels the market is right.
Nash is offline   Reply With Quote