Old 08-26-2005, 06:43 PM   #1  

Default I'm leaving on a jet plane

I am going out of town for 3 weeks. Here are my goals for that time.

not to gain any weight/maintain or lose
Daily 3 mile walk
Lots of water/maybe one soda a week
Make healthy food choices, lots of fruit and veggies
portion control/ eat half of what I am served
stick with 3 meals and 2 snacks a day
enjoy myself
Remember this is a lifestyle change not a diet.

I don't know when I will have an internet connection, but we are taking a lap top. I will check in when I can
jmacway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 06:46 PM   #2  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

Have fun Joyce!!

Holidays are so much fun

Good luck on the plan

Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 08:29 PM   #3  
Crazy Canuck

If you haven't left already for wherever you're going, have a wonderful time and tell us about your trip on your return and how you enjoyed yourself (while adhering to your lifestyle change, naturally)
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 10:53 AM   #4  

I hope you guys don't mind if I use this thread to journal my trip. I think journaling will help keep me on track. (If the hotels have intenet connections)

Dh and I flew from OKC to Denver, just after 1 p.m. The plane we were scheduled to leave on had machanical problems and the flight was canceled. We got rebooked on another flight 4 hours later.
I did not make the best food choices in the Denver airport, but they could have been worse.
Pizza hut bread sticks when we first landed. Several hours later I had steamed rice and manderian chicken. I had water to drink.
I was not sure if I could get a true walk in today so I counted my steps.
No drinks of snacks on the planes. I know I didn't have enough fruit or veggies today.
We finally reached out destination, Silver Legacy, Reno Nevada and had 30 minutes to get to a Tom Jones concert. Very fun concert. I could not believe it when I saw ladies (an on man) throw underware on the stage. I had my soda for the week at the concert.
By the time I got to bed I had taken over 6 miles in steps for the day. Boy what a long day!
Old 08-30-2005, 11:28 AM   #5  

I think I am following my travel plan pretty well. Dh thinks so too. DH even thinks it's good that I am checking in with 3FC. Yesterday we walked down Virginia St. to the river walk along the Truckee river. So far we have walked an average of 5 miles a day. This morning we are taking a walk up to University of Nevada Reno. (its DH old school where we use to go feed the ducks) I have allowed my self some treats for my snacks like a cookie, and some hard candy. Last night we had a real nice dinner and I had a few bites of dessert. Today we change hotels and tomorrow we head to Lake Tahoe. I hope you are all well.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:48 AM   #6  
Crazy Canuck

You're doing very well and I think keeping track and staying in touch here is a great exercise. Keep enjoying yourself!
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 02:50 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

sounds like a great vacation. Wow to you for checking in on vacation.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 02:16 PM   #8  

Hello all,
Checking in while on vacation is not difficult. Internet email is how I keep in touch with our family that is spread out over the US. Sometimes I have limited time online. Knowing I am checking in here is helping me make better choices. I slacked yesterday on walkingl only got 2.5 miles. Yesterday was a drving around day DH and I went around Lake Tahoe. I had fried chicken wings the other day and am happy to tell you that I did not go overboard eating them. DH and I have had a couple of meals at some buffets. I did great, didn't over eat and made healthy food choice. When will the healthy choices become second nature? I have been trying to use the stairs instead of the escelater, or climb the escelater.

Last edited by jmacway; 09-01-2005 at 02:19 PM.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:03 PM   #9  
Hanging in the Heartland

S/C/G: 470/220/170

Height: 5"8"

Way to go Joyce. Looking forward to your continued/future posts.
activeadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 03:52 PM   #10  
Downsizing Dee!

Good for you Joyce for staying with it. Can't wait to hear more about your trip.

~Dee
newfiedarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 01:59 AM   #11  
Laura

It sounds like healthy food choices are already becoming second nature!! With all this walking you are doing - you may be the first person in history to actually lose weight on vacation! Keep up the great work - and have fun too!
alphabetsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 10:54 PM   #12  

Default checking in from Lake Tahoe

I just love the smell of the mountains. As soon as you step off the plane in Reno you can smell them. Where I live in OK there are no mountains. I had to take a day off from walking. My IBS was really bothering me and even caused some manic attacks when driving in the car, and suttle bus. I had to take a xanax to get through it. When my IBS is bothering me I have trouble eating anything at all and carbs are my comfort foods when I do that. Food usually goes right through me. Some days we have been busy enough I have not been able to snack. That has to be a good thing. DH and I saw a great show at the Eldorado, Smokey Joe's Cafe, it was full of 50's and 60's songs. Tonight at Harrah's Lake Tahoe we are goingt to see Lipstick. Did a 1.5 hour yatch tour of the lake this afternoon, Gosh it was beautiful.
I've got to tell you I feel a bit guilty taking a vacation with the hurricane disaster. (we went through Fredrick in 79 while living in Mobile) One of the casnos we like to stay at donated $10,000 to disaster relief and had a blood drive. I am anxious to get home (not until Sept 18) ans see what my church it doing.
For the most part I think I am sticking to my travel goals pretty well. Hope you are all well.

Last edited by jmacway; 09-03-2005 at 10:59 PM.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:19 PM   #13  

Greetings once again,
I have been celebrating my 50th birthday the last couple days with my family here in Reno. I had more diet soda than I set for my goal. (there is something in the carbination that takes calcium away from my bones, which is not good for my ostioporosis. I have fallen short of my goal of 3 mile walks the last couple of days. I also lost my podometer yesterday. I Still think I am doing pretty well though. Time will tell, when I get home and step on the scale
Today HD and I are walking to the laudomat to do laundry. We loaded up one suitcase with all the dirty clothes . The walk may be 2 miles round trip.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:33 AM   #14  

Default last leg of trip

Yesterday was a travel day. I never eat or drink much when I have to get on a plane. I had two meals yesterday and a snack. I did have several bottles of water after getting to my final destination. Between ariports, taxi lines and exploring the Rio, I got in enough walking. I have started having anxiety attacks when flying, riding in taxis and shuttles. I take meds for it and I take meds for IBS. Anyway the meds make me sleepy and I was in bed by 8:00 last night and up by 6 this morning. That's crazy in the town that never sleeps (Las Vegas)
Keep making good choices everyone.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:26 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Your trip sounds like a lot of fun, minus the anxiety attacks. can't wait to hear about the entire trip when you get back home.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote