Old 08-24-2005, 11:32 AM   #1  
"Love Me Some Me"

S/C/G: H:267 C: see ticker G:150ish

Height: 5'4

Default What is Going ON?

Ok, I still consider myself a newbie here. But, I wanted to just make and effort to post (to become part of the active posters). I need to read what you guys, who have been chugging away at this weightloss thing, have to say.

I have been working out solidly since the 1st of Aug. I have also been eating more and less at the same time - More whole foods and less carlories. My workouts have been fine. I usually start to feel stronger after 15 minutes of cardio. However, yesterday . . . It was hard pick up my feet and I never felt the energy burst that usually takes over me @ 15 minutes. I couldn't get pumped and really wanted to stop up until the last minute. Also, this whole time, I haven't been sore. Yesterday evening and this morning especially - I am miserable. I didn't change my water intake (still shooting for 80-128 oz), I did the same stretches that I always do and I didn't over do it.

What is it? I really was feeling better and better everyday (after each workout). But, today and yesterday . . . something is really different. I really want to be healthy and shake these pounds. What is going on with me? Has this happend to any of you? Please advise.
*My husband says I should take a day off from excercise and give my body a break. - WHAT SAY YOU?

Last edited by jenhai; 08-24-2005 at 12:37 PM.
jenhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 11:39 AM   #2  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

Your husband may be right . I know a lot of people do cardio 5 - 6 times a week -- and I also know that is often the suggestion for weight loss. But your body does need some recovery time. It also sounds like maybe you're burning out a bit. This happened to me a few weeks back...I HATE cardio, and I reached a point where I just knew I needed a break. I took a week off, and came back refreshed and ready to start again. By the way, I only do cardio 3 days a week (and weights 3 days a week, too). Because this is a lifestyle change -- and I KNOW I would never be able to maintain 5 - 6 days of cardio a week for the rest of my life -- 3 days works very well for me.

This whole weight loss journey is a marathon, not a sprint. If you burn yourself out early on, you may give up and say, "I just can't DO this anymore."

My advice: Give yourself a mental and physical break. Take a little pressure off yourself. If you do cardio 5 days a week, drop to 2 - 3 days a week just for a week or two. Or -- if you're confident you'll be able to get back on the cardio wagon afterwards -- why don't you take a week off? If you're anything like me, you might be thinking: "No! If I stop now, I'll never pick it up again!" but think of it as just another challenge. Write down an *appointment* for cardio a week from today, and stick to it.

Switching what you do for cardio may help, too, if you're burning out a bit.

Just a thought

Last edited by LovesBassets; 08-24-2005 at 11:46 AM.
LovesBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 11:51 AM   #3  
Chuggin' along...

Jenhai, could you tell us more about your new eating habits? When you say "less calories", how many are you eating? Also, how much protein, fat, carbs are you getting? And have you been doing cardio 7 days a week, every week? I personally think at least a day a week off is necessary. I guess I'm looking for more information about your new lifestyle before I make any suggestions.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 12:08 PM   #4  
"Love Me Some Me"

Megan thanks for asking . . . I meant that before, I can only guess that (from online calculations and ones from Nutrition TEXTs) I was probably taking in 3,000 - 4,000 Kcal per day. I cut back to 1300+ Kcal per day . . . with about 25 -30 g of fat per day. Instead of eating 2,000 calorie meals . . . I have been eating 300 - 400 Kcal meals and eating more fruits and veggies to feel full. Then I have stopped eating so much red meat by substituting tuna, fresh fish, and lentils. I am eating regularly and very satisfied. I love to cook and really have enjoyed recreating my favorites. However, I always have cooked healthy food at home. I just really honestly at 3 or 4 portions of every item that I made. I will include why in another post.

I am not doing cardio 7 days per week. But, I have started to shoot for cardio workouts 5 days per week. Thanks for asking and I look forward to hearing back.
J
Old 08-24-2005, 12:21 PM   #5  
Downsizing Dee!

Could it be TOM - I always feel sluggish around that time? I'd say give it a few days and see what happens. You've already received some excellent advice about your exercise program. Let us know what happens.

~Dee
newfiedarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 12:28 PM   #6  
"Love Me Some Me"

Lovesbassets- Thanks for your advise . . . my hubby would love to hear that he's right . . . I won't tell him (yet)

I will see, I just don't think I am doing too much cardio; but, I will do a little less cardio today and see how I feel tomorrow. You are right about me not wanting to stop for fear of not ever starting back up. I have sat down so long, that I am almost afraid to fall out of the new routine. Thanks alot I appreciate your reply . . . J
Old 08-24-2005, 12:32 PM   #7  
"Love Me Some Me"

Dee . . . no, not TOM. But, I also feel sluggish then. I really wouldn't call how I felt sluggish . . . maybe just no energy for the work out. I just didn't have the same FIRE . We will see what happens . . . Thanks

Last edited by jenhai; 08-24-2005 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:53 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

It sounds like burnout. Are you doing to the same type of exercise over and over? I know this morning I just didn't want to exercise period. I was sluggish and exhausted (bad night of sleep for me though). I had planned on doing 1.5 miles of walk away the pounds and just stopped at 1 mile. I have a goal of doing 1 mile tonight (or just walking in place while watching TV) to make up for it. They usually say it takes about 3 weeks to make/break a habit and it looks like you just passed that and now maybe you need something more challenging.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing what the others have to say.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 01:05 PM   #9  
Jennifer

Since you're still in the "habit-building phase," my advice would be not to stop the cardio but to change it up, like Dawnyal said. At least for me, it was very important that I make it to the gym every day for my exercise, even if I did only just a little bit that day (unless, of course, I were actually sick!). I still occasionally have an off day where I just don't feel right -- where, like you said, the usual cardio energy just doesn't ever kick in. However, two days in a row is unusual for me. What are you doing for cardio? Maybe you should try alternating among several different cardio options... I run/walk on the treadmill, do the stairclimber, the bike, both kinds of ellipticals, sometimes the rowing machine. Could it just be boredom? Maybe some new music is in order? Books on tape?

Another option is that you could be in the early stages of a virus. I know I get very logy at those times. If you think that's the case, maybe you *should* take a day off.

Just my two cents!
teapotdynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 01:31 PM   #10  
"Love Me Some Me"

Dawnyal . . . Yes, I am doing basically the samething every other day (walking 3 mph on treadmill or 3 -4 miles on the EFX). And when I can't make it to the gym (KidsKlub closed) I do WATP. Burnout . . . I need to burn-in because I feel like I should excercise and eat right to drop this 100 lbs. I will look around to find my step and some old videos. I know for a fact that they more challenging . . .THANKS

Jennifer . . . Let me first say that I am so interested in what you have to say about your excercise and food experiences. (You started where I am and are now just about where I want to be). I probably could take on a change . . . I know this might sound weird and biased - But, I always have viewed the staionary bikes as lazy . . . maybe I am unclear and uninformed. I regarded it as lazy because you don't have full range of motion and your weight is not really being pulled or moved as it is when you ride and actual bike. I know I am wrong, but it is just a personal mental hang up. I will do something different. You are also right about the mental thing, If I take a break today, I know myself and I will not get back up. It has happened before. One day turned into 2 years. Thanks too. Jenh-ai
Old 08-24-2005, 01:45 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenhai
I cut back to 1300+ Kcal per day . . . with about 25 -30 g of fat per day. Instead of eating 2,000 calorie meals . . . I have been eating 300 - 400 Kcal meals and eating more fruits and veggies to feel full.
You might want to review your eating and bump up those calories a little bit. My weight is very similar to yours (started at 263.5, currently at 249.5), and I'm eating around 1540 calories per day, with around 50 grams of fat on average (I aim for 20% protein, 50% carbs, 30% fat). I find that I've been losing quite well on this amount, but on days when I eat closer to 1300 calories (it happens sometimes, but I also had one 1900 calorie day!), I conk out early in the evening. If you've been consistently eating around 1300-1350 calories, the same thing may be catching up to you.

Try moving up by about 100 calories per day, to 1400-1450, and see if that gives you any more energy. If it does, I would bet that you are eating on the low end of your calorie range and you wouldn't see any change in the rate of weight loss with a slightly higher calorie level.
oliviacw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 01:50 PM   #12  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

Changing it up is a good idea. The woman over the fitness training at the YMCA told us that in her aerobics and other classes, she changes up the routine daily. The reason is, your body is an efficient machine and will adjust to a routine in order to expend the least amount of energy (burn calories, build strength). When you change up your routine, you keep that body guessing. Makes good sense.
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 01:58 PM   #13  
Jennifer

You know, Olivia - you may be onto something, and I didn't think of it! When I was in your same weight range, jenhai, I usually ate about 1600 calories, on average. Now, my weight loss has been pretty slow (so maybe you *don't* want to follow my lead! ), but 1300 may really be too little at your current weight, particularly when you're exercising. I know it seems intuitive that eating less = losing more weight, but it's not always the case. I have heard a lot of people say their weight loss stalled until they ate a bit more each day.

Maybe try it for a little bit? Wouldn't if it be nice if weight loss were more of an *exact* science?
teapotdynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 02:47 PM   #14  

I've had days where every step is a struggle and I'm just counting down the minutes until I'm done, so you're definitely not alone there. Perhaps shaking things up a bit and adding a little more excitement into it could be the key?

Also,
Quote:
You know, Olivia - you may be onto something, and I didn't think of it! When I was in your same weight range, jenhai, I usually ate about 1600 calories, on average. Now, my weight loss has been pretty slow (so maybe you *don't* want to follow my lead! ), but 1300 may really be too little at your current weight, particularly when you're exercising. I know it seems intuitive that eating less = losing more weight, but it's not always the case. I have heard a lot of people say their weight loss stalled until they ate a bit more each day.
That's exactly what I was thinking! We don't all fit into one uniform model, there are so many deciding factors that must be taken into account here. So, please give some of these wonderful suggestions a try and let us know how it goes. Good luck!

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 03:04 PM   #15  
"Love Me Some Me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliviacw
You might want to review your eating and bump up those calories a little bit. . . . Try moving up by about 100 calories per day, to 1400-1450, and see if that gives you any more energy. If it does, I would bet that you are eating on the low end of your calorie range and you wouldn't see any change in the rate of weight loss with a slightly higher calorie level.
OK . . . I will def. eat more . . . you know . . . I just want to do the right thing. I will eat more calories today and I will still do the exercise . . . I will just switch it up a bit. Thanks a bunch oliviacw, I will def. take what you mentioned and run w/ it. I need the energy, I have a lot of moving around to do.
Jenh-ai