Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 08-22-2005, 07:27 AM   #1  
Mel

Default LWL # 217 Aug 22-28

Good Morning, LWL
How was your weekend? Mine was frantic as usual, with the usual two pound gain on the scale. This is it, the line in the sand, yada yada yada... no more eating off plan on Saturday nights!

I think I'm changing my split around this week. I'm going to try to get mine into the same alignment as the other trainers and heavy lifters at the gym, so if I have an opening when they all lift, I can work in with them. It's getting too impossible to lift on my own without spotters or a partner all the time. And lonely

Dh and DS came home from a concert really late last night (stuck in beach traffic). Thank heavens I didn't go, but I'm exhausted today anyway. Not a great way to start lifting with the big boys Oh well.

Have a good one,
Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 07:35 AM   #2  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Got out of bed the wrong side this morning and took AGES to get going! Not helped by a meeting about our potentially new computer system !

Hopefully will be kicking some butt with my barbell this afternoon! I bought some lovely pork medallions yesterday that I was dying to eat for dinner, but was just so full I thought I'd better not waste them! They're calling my name now! I'm looking forward to going home and giving those babies a nice grilling!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 11:47 AM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

Monday -- LEGS !! One guy approached me today at the gym and jokingly said: ''Don't work so hard, you're making us guys look like wimps!'' Yeah that's me !! It was a very good workout...

The weekend was good... not perfect eating though so it's back on track today...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 11:58 AM   #4  
aka Superwoman!

Mwah hahahahaha! Wimpy men, I love it! Go Ilene!

Just a few more minutes till I get home to my pork chops!
Old 08-22-2005, 01:23 PM   #5  
Mel

Ilene, I had a guy walk up behind while I was bench pressing last week and say "what are you doing??? You're just a little woman and I'm a big man (he was old) and you're lifting more than me!" I wasn't even on my heavy set yet, but I almost dropped the bar on my chest!

Soooo, why aren't these guys working a little harder

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 01:46 PM   #6  
aka Superwoman!

" a little woman " TUT!

I lift at home, so no judgement apart from HIM INDOORS who doesn't care what I do so long as he doesn't have to do it! I think he's happy with his scrawny little chicken legs and little-boy chest! (Nice butt tho )

Grilled my little porkie babies, they were beyootiful!

Off out to the pub later with a diet coke for company! Oooh, does anyone know of a gingerbread man type recipe that's reasonably on track!? I might experiment at the weekend!
Old 08-22-2005, 04:05 PM   #7  
Working My Way Back Down

Morning LWL! We're back from our mini-vacation/camping trip (and no, Rabbit, we sleep in the back of our pickup truck which has an oversize shell on it, on 4" foam - very comfy). I did no formal exercise while we were gone, but I am very pleased with how much stronger I am - very handy for lifting a canoe or cooler. Also much more endurance, handy for climbing the hill to pick blueberries.

Tonight is a cardio night. Have stuff for the gym in the car as the forecast is for rain. However, at noon it's still very nice out, so I may go home first and get my bike to do it outdoors. We'll see what the weather really is at 5 pm. Had to adjust my schedule since I have meetings at 7pm tomorrow and Wed. I can get to the gym and do weights and clean up between 5 and 7, but if I did cardio, no way - I'm too soaked, and tired. So my weights will end up being T/W/Fri this week, but at least they'll get done.

It rained hard all day yesterday, and was in the 40's this morning. Needed the heater/defroster in the car on the way to work.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 04:08 PM   #8  
5lbs fat vs 5 lbs muscle

Height: 5'6

LOL @ Ilene and Mel making the guys look wimpy

Does lugging 8-9 loads of laundry up and down 3 flights of stairs on a saturday count as lifting? Cause that's what I did and boy was I pooped! I hate laundry day LOL.
Yesterday I took it easy and chilled out.

Today I worked my legs. Did 4 sets of 10 front leg extensions w/ 40 lbs, 3 sets of calf raises, and 3 sets of squats with 30 lbs. Quick question? I'm trying to melt ALOT OF FAT but I am not really getting alot of resistance when I lift. I am a pretty overweight woman trying to lose ALOT of fat, so I want to know which is better cause I always read that you do high reps low weights to burn fat and low reps heavier weights to do more building of the muscles. Is this correct? I mean, I feel the effects of my leg workouts the next day or so but never on the same day and I was wondering if that means that I'm not getting enough resistance?
MrsDawsondn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 04:39 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 160/157/120

Height: 5' 2"

Hi all!

Tonight is cardio. ( Jazzercise) Can't decide whether to stay for the "floor" excersises, or cut out early, go home, and do my own weights. I'm having a dilema as to whether to stay with Jazz. or not. It's fun, safe, and close to work. However, I don't really feel as challenged as I should, and do not feel challenged at all by the floor work. So, I'll just have to decide one way or the other. Do you guys check in each day and account for your day's workout? If so, that's great.
Lainey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 05:12 PM   #10  

Hi, LWL,

I finally coming back to the gym this week! Today was upper body as well as abs. I feel great I missed it a lot!

Tomorrow is back and chest

Sandy.
Sashenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 05:31 PM   #11  

Hi all, I had a really good weekend. I met one of the gals from UK fat chicks, YP1 in her home town of Leeds. It was really nice to catch up face to face.

I did my weights on Sunday morning, I did two workouts today!!! One cardio before work and a cardio after work!!! Only because I felt like it, and I am finding it hard to get 90 minutes in in one sessions now, so I am splitting them! Weights again tomorrow, so no double workouts!!! I am so lucky having a gym at work, and another in my village.

The boys in my gym make me laugh. No cute ones, apart from cute gym instructor, and quite a few whose spotters lift more of the weight than they do!!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 03:28 AM   #12  
aka Superwoman!

Skipped my weights yesterday NAUGHTY FRUS and played scrabble instead (no pub...). Was really really pooped for no apparent reason

Back on with the kickboxing tonight and perhaps I'll split my weights into 2 sessions tomorrow, one before work and one after! Those dumbbell flies I added have really worked my pecs - they're still feeling it!
Old 08-23-2005, 06:00 AM   #13  

Hey everyone! I hope you're all having great weeks!
I did really well at my Pump class yesterday and put up a few of the weights - I'm definately feeling it today! Had a great cardio workout today and I'm planning on doing body combat tomorrow night. After a weekend that was definately 'off plan' it feels good to be back into the swing of things.
Blyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 09:13 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

I got up today and did Tae-Bo. First time I've worked out this month. I was able to do the whole thing including the 25 pushups at the end. My arms felt a little weird - they kind of hurt actually, but I kept going. Now I feel all endorphiny-high, which I love. The fridge at work is packed with a day's worth of healthy foods that I really like and I have de-bugged my fridge and cabinets at home. The scale is up 10 lbs so it's time to get back on track.

Ilene and Mel, your gym experiences are funny. Little woman? I don't know if I would have been offended or just tickled. I guess it would depend on the age of the person that said it. I remember when I was 19 and in the military, this old OLD geezer called me a "pretty little colored gal." I couldn't get mad or offended because I knew that given his age, he genuinely thought that calling me colored was a compliment. Maybe the same thing applies to goofy men in gyms.

Hey Shashenka, we both are coming back on the same week. Let's make sure that we both stay in there for a good LONG TIME!

WaterRat, your vacation sounds great! I've always wanted to go canoeing. I did it once when I was 10 but wasn't allowed to hold an oar so that doesn't count to me.

Hi to all the new people that have hopped on since I hopped off.

Tiki.

Last edited by tikanique; 08-24-2005 at 09:00 AM.
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 09:18 AM   #15  
Ilene the Bean

Hey Tiki Welcome back!!

Ok, I'm off to the gym, NO, I'm off to run!! Today is a running day!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote