Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 02:28 PM   #1  

Cool Metabolic Research Centers???

I just found you! This is terrific. But has anyone heard of Metabolic Reseach Centers? I had a friend who lost 60 pounds on it, and kept it off. But I have lost touch with her, and I am just trying to get an idea about cost.
Of course, you call them and its "Come on in....blah blah blah".
I was convinced you could find anything on the Web, but they have managed to keep everything about their plan, costs, etc. hidden! Any info would be appreciated!
Old 08-22-2005, 02:46 PM   #2  

Height: 5'4"

Never heard of it but my experience in general (not necessarily weight loss related) is that any company that hides the details is hiding them because they don't want you to know until they've had a chance to sink in their claws. Just my $0.02.

You might also try posting this in the "does it work" forum.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:09 PM   #3  

Lightbulb

Thanks Julia, I took your advice and posted in Does It work!
Old 08-22-2005, 03:25 PM   #4  
it's always something

Do you have a link to their website, or to a site that sells their product? I completely agree with Julia, though I'd be happy to see what I can find out
Old 08-22-2005, 03:28 PM   #5  
Uber-Moderator!!

Hmmm well this is interesting....

(btw, I thought that this thread did belong here in DIW, so I moved it. )

I did a Google search and there are many universities and medical clinics that have "metabolic research centers" but these are actual medical centers doing clinical research on obesity/nutrition/etc - they're not going around trolling for customers.

However, THIS Metabolic Research Center (what a terribly misleading name to say the least!) looks like it's run a lot like LA Weight Loss and that ilk. Instead of selling overpriced protein bars, this place looks like they stick to VERY overpriced 'natural' supplements and vitamins, which are listed on their website - without ingredients. These are freaking EXPENSIVE - $99.00 for their "Metabolic Enhancer" (which is probably the same stuff that you can get in any KMart or Walgreens for a lot less $), $75 for "Metabolic Appetite Control", they even have their very own Cortislim knockoff.

My very favorite product on their site, though, has to be the "Natural Progesterone Cream"

Quote:
A safe, natural alternative to prescription hormones. Helps normalize blood sugar; prevents osteoporosis by stimulating bone growth, improves mood, depression and energy; improve libido; facilitate the use of body fat for energy; helps counteract the harmful effects of synthetic estrogen. 1 oz jar. $30
I assume this is Wild Yam cream. And all those claims are B.S., from what I've read. (anyone who is even thinking about buying anything like this might want to read this article, and discuss with their primary physician before attempting to self-medicate...)

They must be doing pretty well, because I saw some job postings for "SALES CONSULTANTS" for some of their locations - of course they're commission-based positions, so I would bet that their 'clients' get the hard sell to buy products each time they visit.

Now, I wouldn't doubt that they have success stories - pretty much anyone who cuts their caloric intake (eat less, move more) is going to lose weight! But you don't need to go to an outfit of charlatans who are only out for your $$'s to do so. Arrgh...
Old 08-22-2005, 03:49 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 176/174/150

Height: 5'4"

If you have metabolic syndrome, your doctor will help you out with diet, exercise, etc. But only your doctor is able to do all of the tests (or order them). I agree about staying away from any type of non-medical metabolic center.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:52 PM   #7  
it's always something

Hmm, they also sell coral calcium, king of the health scams. That's not a good sign.

If you are looking for a diet plan that is affordable, balanced, and offers helpful guidance, I'd highly recommend Weight Watchers. There are a lot of other good diet plans to choose from, that aren't based on overpriced (useless and potentially harmful) supplements, and hidden costs.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:07 AM   #8  

Red face

Wow! You ladies are good! And the cynical side of me is usually pretty adept at spotting scams. Guess maybe I've just gotten desperate. Weight Watchers has worked for me in the past, so I guess I'll go back! Thanks again everyone. Your site is terrific!
Old 08-24-2005, 06:18 PM   #9  

Hi! I joined Metabolic Research Centers several months ago. Alot of people here lose weight on the plan (I do know of one person who has lost 50lbs and kept it off), but I wasn't able to follow it. You join for a membership fee, which is based on the amount of weight you want to lose. I think my fee was around $189 or so - for 50lbs. They have supplements (vitamins, minerals, appetite control, all natural stuff.. which means nothing to me... I don't do supplements.) to take and those will be an additional cost if you choose to use them. It is a low calorie diet- you eat regular food and can even have bread and stuff, but the diet is still pretty strict. It also requires that you use their high protien, low-cal, 0 fat shakes (shakes can be made into jellos or puddings and soups are available too)-- they get pretty expensive ($11 for a box of 7 - you'll use 3-5 per day). You go in for weekly consultations and weighin- and once monthly measurments.

Some people respond well when they have someone to report to weekly, which is probably where the success comes from. The staff at the center here have all followed the program before and they are all really nice and encouraging... it just isn't my thing.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:34 PM   #10  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmyn
Hi! I joined Metabolic Research Centers several months ago. Alot of people here lose weight on the plan (I do know of one person who has lost 50lbs and kept it off), but I wasn't able to follow it. You join for a membership fee, which is based on the amount of weight you want to lose. I think my fee was around $189 or so - for 50lbs. They have supplements (vitamins, minerals, appetite control, all natural stuff.. which means nothing to me... I don't do supplements.) to take and those will be an additional cost if you choose to use them. It is a low calorie diet- you eat regular food and can even have bread and stuff, but the diet is still pretty strict. It also requires that you use their high protien, low-cal, 0 fat shakes (shakes can be made into jellos or puddings and soups are available too)-- they get pretty expensive ($11 for a box of 7 - you'll use 3-5 per day). You go in for weekly consultations and weighin- and once monthly measurments.

Some people respond well when they have someone to report to weekly, which is probably where the success comes from. The staff at the center here have all followed the program before and they are all really nice and encouraging... it just isn't my thing.
Hmmm so they REQUIRE you to buy their shakes?

LA Weight Loss got cited by the New York Courts a few years ago for forcing customers to buy their "LA Lite" bars. Nowadays they can't REQUIRE the purchase but from what I've read, they do a very, very hard sell to customers.

I did a bit of googling on this, and wondered if this was the same "Metabolic Research Center"...

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2003/NEW00953.html

Quote:
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) today announced that on September 22, 2003, U.S. District Court Judge Robert J. Vining, Jr. entered a Consent Decree of Permanent Injunction against Hi-Tech Pharmaceuticals, National Urological Group, National Institute for Clinical Weight Loss, American Weight Loss Clinic, United Metabolic Research Center, and Jared R. Wheat, President of these corporations, to prevent the sale and distribution of unapproved and misbranded products. FDA took this enforcement action because the defendants repeatedly sold dietary supplements making disease claims for the treatment of obesity and erectile dysfunction.

The government’s complaint, filed by the Department of Justice in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia, alleges that Jared R. Wheat and his dietary supplement corporations violated the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act by distributing unapproved and misbranded drugs in interstate commerce.

Although FDA had repeatedly warned the individual and the corporations about their illegal actions, they continued to make false health and disease claims for the dietary supplement products. One of the provisions of the Consent Decree is that Mr. Wheat’s corporations will stop distributing all dietary supplements until the FDA has reviewed all revised product labeling, promotional literature, and detailed inspection reports from the defendants’ consulting firm.

"FDA will continue to take strong action to protect American consumers from dietary supplements that are not accurately labeled or that make false and misleading claims unsupported by scientific evidence," said FDA Commissioner Mark McClellan, M.D., Ph.D. "Today’s action demonstrates FDA’s continued commitment to help consumers make health and dietary choices based on accurate information –and to help them avoid bad outcomes from potentially dangerous products."

The FDA has initiated this action as part of its responsibility for advancing and protecting the public health by enforcing the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act, and related laws and regulations. FDA’s mission includes ensuring the safety or safety and effectiveness of a broad spectrum of regulated products, including food, human and animal drugs, vaccines, blood products, medical devices, devices that emit radiation, and cosmetics.

The listed corporations conduct business out of one office located in Norcross, Ga.
Norcross, Georgia...interesting because many of the locations are in GA and FLA. I would not be at all surprised if this is the same organization. I mean, my God...the name alone is deceitful! "Metabolic Research Center". So what kind of "research" are they doing on metabolism? From what was said in the previous post, it's nothing more than another diet center selling overpriced questionable supplements. But I guess they just figured that by calling themselves a "Metabolic Research Center" which is a commonly used department name used by reputable universities and medical institutions they could impress their target market enough to scam them out of as much money as possible.

Here are some examples of REAL Metabolic Research institutions that I found in a Google search:

Wayne State University School of Medicine

Scripps Health Foundation, Del Mar

Louisville Metabolic and Atherosclerosis Research Center

Institute for Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism at University of Pennsylvania

and so on. Not even in the same ballpark...the people behind this 'diet center' are just piggybacking on the reputation of ACTUAL research centers. They're just another bunch of diet scammers, IMO.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:48 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJim
Hmmm so they REQUIRE you to buy their shakes?

LA Weight Loss got cited by the New York Courts a few years ago for forcing customers to buy their "LA Lite" bars. Nowadays they can't REQUIRE the purchase but from what I've read, they do a very, very hard sell to customers.
I shouldn't have said required. The shakes are part of the program (it is very detailed on paper and I'd post it right here if I still had it)--- it never crossed my mind to simply not do the shakes, as that is pushed as the biggest thing that will help your weightloss and most people are the same way. (Yes, unfortunately, I'm still looking for the quick big weightloss miracle. Silly me.) The center here wasn't forceful about it at all, but they didn't have to be with me... I simply accepted their plan as it was.

Quote:
I did a bit of googling on this, and wondered if this was the same "Metabolic Research Center"...

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2003/NEW00953.html
Probably! I'm in Georgia too. When I joined, I was given a package of information for lots of different supplements-- not just weightloss products. Some of the claims were to increase energy, boost immunity... the usual stuff So it is very likely that it is the same company. If I'm able to put my hands on the brochures they gave me in the next few days, I'll put them up here.

As for scammers, maybe... But it does work for some.
Old 08-27-2005, 05:03 PM   #12  
IP start June 11, 2014

A couple of months ago I went into a Metablolic Research Center (MRC) and was put off by how $$ it was but they did give me a free consultation. First, they took my bodyfat, then put me into a catagory of how many pounds to lose for what plan I could purchas. Turns out it was going to cost me like $500 to complete the program with all the stuff they wanted me to take. She told me that the shakes were the cornerstone of the program. She did the best she could to sell me the products and get me signed up. There was a contract to sign that said they would guarantee that I would lose weight if I followed the program EXACTLY as prescribed. Otherwise, I would not be entitled to any of my money back. I got lines like "$500 is a small price to pay for your health", "You will spend much more than $500 in health problems later". All very good arguments for losing weight. But, I couldn't commit to shelling out $500 bucks for something that I don't even know if I am going to like. I am the queen of refunds..I only buy things that I can return...like the medifast supplements that I bought a month ago that I had a allergic reaction to . My next weight loss investment will be a hammer so that I can just crack myself in the head next time I get a hair brained idea of pumping chemicals into my body.
Closed Thread