Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 10:27 AM   #1  

Question Making Yogurt Cheese

I have a recipe that calls for nonfat yogurt cheese. My problem is, I couldn't find cheesecloth. Is it possible to make it without the cheesecloth? What other alternatives could be used?
Old 08-20-2005, 11:59 AM   #2  
the muse of memory

Use any loosely woven clean fabric - muslin could work, or a narrow netting. If want to find cheesecloth and have a Wal-Mart in the area, head back to their fabric/craft area and ask for cheesecloth. They should have some you can buy by the yard. Ditto any local fabric store and/or moderately sized craft store. I've seen it packaged in grocery stores, occasionally, but it is much cheaper to buy it by the yard and it lasts forever.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:02 PM   #3  
it's always something

I have a little funnel made of a very fine mesh that is for making yogurt cheese. I bought it at TJ Maxx, but I'm pretty sure I've seen them at walmart.
Old 08-20-2005, 02:03 PM   #4  

You can also place a coffee filter in a regular colander/strainer.
Old 08-20-2005, 03:15 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7"

If you have a Jo Ann Fabrics around, they should have cheese cloth

(I worked at one for 2 years in HS, I remember cutting it)

~Liz
Old 08-20-2005, 06:34 PM   #6  

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions. I got to thinking, if coffee filters would work just as well, how about cross stitch fabric? I retired that habit long ago because I ended up with carpal tunnel. I have some pieces of 14 count that I don't plan on using and it just might work! I'm going to give it a try and see how it turns out. Next time I go to Jo Ann Fabrics, I'll get some cheesecloth. Thanks again everyone!
Old 08-20-2005, 06:51 PM   #7  
it's always something

I'd imagine that the cross stitch fabric would let too much yogurt seep through. You only want the liquid to drip out. I'd really recommend the coffee filter trick, though I'll be interested to know how your experiment works. I also have some old cross stitch fabric tucked away

What are you going to make with the yogurt cheese?
Old 08-20-2005, 06:53 PM   #8  

Height: 5'4"

I saw some cheesecloth in the kitchen section of Target today as well. Ummm, what is yogurt cheese?
Old 08-21-2005, 09:02 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC
I'd imagine that the cross stitch fabric would let too much yogurt seep through. You only want the liquid to drip out. I'd really recommend the coffee filter trick, though I'll be interested to know how your experiment works. I also have some old cross stitch fabric tucked away

What are you going to make with the yogurt cheese?
I don't know .. 14 count fabric is woven pretty tight, so it might work. But I finally found my coffee filters, so I'm gonna use that instead. I have a recipe for Fresh Fruit Parfait (yogurt cheese with flavorings, berries and granola). Can't wait to try it!

Isn't cross stitch so fun!? I use to think I didn't have the patience for it, but I loved it .. ended up stitching until I could stitch no more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaTN
I saw some cheesecloth in the kitchen section of Target today as well. Ummm, what is yogurt cheese?
Yogurt cheese is just yogurt that has been drained of the liquid (whey) and has a cheesy consistency.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:42 PM   #10  
Working My Way Back Down

I usually find cheesecloth in my grocery store with the canning stuff. I've made yogurt cheese both with it and with coffee filters and either works fine.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:18 PM   #11  

Thanks for all the tips guys! I used coffee filters and it worked. It really really worked! I'm going to use it tonight with my parfait dessert. I'm so excited!
Closed Thread