Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 08-14-2005, 03:24 PM   #1  
Cindy

Post Will surgery work 4 me?

Hello, I have done alot of research on the different surgeries but the one thing I can't find an answer on is "If a person hardly ever eats, will the surgery help them lose weight?" At one time I did over eat now I forget to eat, my DR says that is the prob, I have allowed my metabolism to quit. Anyway if someone has some help on this I would appreciate it.
Thanks, Cindy
MyDream4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 12:32 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

cindy - there's no real single answer to that question. exercise often perks up a person's metabolism. are you exercising?

and many of us also forgot to eat, but at the same time [in a weird combination!] we also forgot WHAT we ate [think of people zoning out as they eat popcorn and you'll have an idea].

what does your doc say about your weight loss efforts? has he/she given you some tips? have they worked?

many people have success with programs like weight watchers, or sugar busters, or others. and you DO have to eat with them as well

and remember, even after the surgery you MUST eat, even though it's a bit different than other people's ideas of eating [for awhile at least].

soooo, cindy... tell us more about what's going on here... maybe we can help!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 07:56 PM   #3  
Cindy

JiffyPop, my dr has said I need to eat but to watch what I ate, cutting out sugar and salt. I have started to cut these things out. I had cut my soda intake down from a 6 pk or more to 1 a day max. I did that over a year ago and gained weight. I had my thytoid checked and it was out of whack but the meds he prescibed made me gain anymore. I wish it was as easy as snacking, I might do that once a month and then only a couple of cookies or handful of popcorn. Now I do know that these things are not good for me I kind of got the attitude that if I am gonna gain I might as well have a treat occasionally. Anyway, I have done a food journal and had my family be aware of what and when I eat and we all come to the conclusion that if I do eat it is a small portion and never more than once a day. So I guess that is the prob my body is holding everything I put into it which is usually fluids and feels that I don't need other foods and that I have messed up my metabolism. I am working on changing that. Thanks for any input. PS I have gone to a surgery seminar but have gone no further, I have already had 8 other abdominal surgeries and don't want to put my body thru anything that it doesn't have to.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:14 PM   #4  

I have learned that it's not if surgery will work for me...it's about me working with the tool of surgery.

I used to be a member of a message board that was nothing but weight loss surgery patients. They would hold get-togethers at the Cheesecake Factory, have margarita parties, etc. They thought that because they had this surgery, they could eat and drink anything they wanted...and then wonder why they would hit constant plateaus.

Since I've had this surgery, I have cut out sugar, I refuse to eat junk, and I read labels like never before. I eat three meals per day, exercise, and I drink water, even though I hate water. I have lost 30 pounds since my surgery on July 20th. Will I hit a plateau? Yes, I believe I will, but it won't be because of sabotage.

Everyone is different. As all of us overweight people have discovered, there is not a perfect plan for everyone. If there were, we would all look like Barbie. Investigation is important to every decision. I hope this helps. We are here for you!
Stevie Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 11:46 PM   #5  
Cindy

Stevie Christine, congrats on the weight loss. I do realize that surgery is not an "answer" I would have to have a complete life style change and follow the prescibed after care. I guess what it boils down to is.....I understand that the surgery is to make my stomach smaller so that I cannot consume as much food as before.......so if I already cut out the bad and do not over eat now, will the surgery benefit me? My stomach already resists putting too much food in my mouth and so I would assume from what my DR has said that it has already shrunk on its own, so if I had the surgery and did not have to change my eating habits more than I already have....Do I have the ability to lose weight due to the surgical procedure?
Thanks