Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 08-15-2005, 07:14 AM   #1  
Mel

Default LWL #216 Aug 15-21

Good Morning LWL

It's a miserable, hot morning here- our air conditioner died in the middle of the night and it's hot as $%!! in the house! Add that to having to call the orthodontist to fix ds's braces, the highschool guidance couselor because he didn't get the courses he'd requested for the fall, and go to work, and today should just be peachy. Did I mention it's supposed to be 96 degrees and humid?

Today is chest and cardio for me between phone calls and clients

I've spent the last three weeks working like a dog each week to get back to my "Friday" weight after one day of indulgences on the weekend I did it again, and next weekend we have a giant clambake on the calendar. I'm sick of this, tho. I really don't want this to be my maintenance technique!

OK, gotta go,
Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 07:53 AM   #2  

Oh, Mel - I really hope this is just "one of those days" and not "one of those weeks". *hugs*

This week should be good for me. I just wish the weather would break - they are talking about rain tomorrow. I tried a NIA class this weekend - did nothing for me. I think I am too structured (nooo, me???) for the freedom the class instills. However, it was a lovely group of women and they all seemed to really enjoy it. I am thinking of trying a spin class later in the week. Just trying to shake things up through the summer dull-drums.

I have weights scheduled 3x this week and will try to run 3x during the week and "wait and see" for my long run on Sat. If it is 75 or higher at 5am (like it has been) I am thinking treadmill run rather than ouside run. Unfortunately, gym does not open until 10, so it will still behot, regardless. Still thinking it through, as it is only Monday, I am not too concerned.

DH and I had a great time on our anniversary weekend. Of course, we scheduled more than we actually did, but it was great to get out of our routine and spend some quality time together. It was pretty sad that after a very expensive dinner he turned to me and said "your cooking is better than this". Gee, imagine, an overated restaurant in DC. But I must say I have sampled 4 different gazpachos and 4 different restaurants this weekend - all different and 3 of the 4 were excellent and 1 was "just" good. BTW - I just LOVED dropping wet towels on the bathroom floor and not picking them up! Yesterday I went shopping and found a great outfit for 2 semi-formal occasions we have coming up. Of course, it was hard to buy fall clothes while the temps climbed to over 100, but I perservered.

Welcome to newbies and returnies. I am looking forward to getting to know you all.
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 08:29 AM   #3  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Ahaha! Had a good weekend, went out clubbing on Saturday and basically lounged around watching tapes of Ally Macbeal! Fiance was away the weekend, so I got out to play! Managed to go shopping, got some really lovely shoes and about 6 T-shirts! Stocked up on protein powder and I'm giving glucosamine a trial run!

Today, just feeling a little bit sleepy! What can I say? Work, work, home, dinner, weights, bath, bed... Tomorrow work, work... etc!

Now I'm a graduate at work rather than just being a lazy student, the days and weeks are merging together like you wouldn't believe! I miss working till midnight and staying in bed till 1pm! Actually, it's very gratifying getting up early, then still getting up early at the weekend and being up and out before the general population is out of bed!

Looking forward to my weights tonight. Am shifting lots more weight recently, although because of that, I need a spotter on my squats! I can now squat more than I can lift above my head! I might try front squats in a coupla weeks.

Mel, sounds like you've got it all under control

Ellen, oooh sounds nice to mess up a place you don't have to tidy!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 08:51 AM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

Hey gang ... I'm with Mel I MUST straighten my act this week and stop this off for a weekend, on for a week routine it's just too hard . We went to my nephew's wedding this weekend, and I had wayyyy too much vino. We all slept very badly on Saturday night because the AC in the room sounded like a truck every half hour when it would turn on. I could feel my DH jump out of his skin every time, actually I think of it now it was quite comical .... ALSO, you won't believe this, my 17 yr old son wakes ME up in the middled of the night, and complains that HE cant' sleep!!! WTF, I felt like saying ''You want me to rock you or something??'' (but didn't) ... Sunday, needless to say we did nada all day... Everyone, I mean everyone of us, just went to our separate rooms and snoozed on and off all day! I feel good and raring to go this morning though... Here's a nice pic of the 4 of us.... I see you have posted a pic in there too Mel ... I like it

Later, as soon as I put a load of wash in I am off to the gym... I'm biking there and doing legs then going for a longer bike ride afterwards...

TTFN
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 09:17 AM   #5  
aka Superwoman!

Nice photoshopping Mel!

Ilene, I like your pic too, very pretty!

Just worked out nice programme for this week - will fiddle with it as the week progresses
Old 08-15-2005, 09:22 AM   #6  
Meg

What a lovely photo, Ilene! You, my dear, are looking simply mah-vel-ous. And DD is taller than you!!! You two look SO much alike - bet you hear that all the time.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 12:31 PM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

2F -- Give the Glucosamine 4-6 weeks before it takes effect

Ellen -- Your weekend sounds really nice, it's our 24th anniv in October we just may take off for a day or two ourselves... It's such a nice break !!

Meg -- Yes, I hear it ALL the time that we look alike plus we also have the same mannerisms ... Poor child ...

I just had a pretty good leg workout it was pretty basic this morning squats, leg x, leg curls, and lunges... I didn't feel like thinking too much so I just went with the usual. I then did 20ks on the bike... It's a gorgeous day here not humid at all just nice and sunny...
Old 08-15-2005, 01:52 PM   #8  

Hey, Ladies!

Just a quickie from work to say Good Day! I love when people post pics, but don't expect any recent fof me too soon. I did give a fleeting thought of having my boss take one of me later today when I go out to shoot a sailboat we just listed. No promises, though.

Mel and Ilene are still gorgeous as always!

Mel - my sympathies on the lack of AC, and hope you don't have to wait too long to see the repair dude.

Ilene - LOL, that's my girl!

Just to scare the bejesus out of you two, that's how I backslid - Weekend off, weekdays on. And before I knew it, the carbs had taken over and I was addicted again. The being sick part isnt worth it, and that's when you know you've let it go too far - you stop getting sick.

Heat here has let up a bit but it is humid. Still a relief from the high 90's we've had for weeks on end.

Did an hour on the treadmill before work, and this evening I will do tri's and some squats. I am not anticipating the pain, but I remember how good it felt the first time I could't get up off the toilet without grabbing onto something. I know if it doesn't hurt tomorrow, I didn't lift or rep enough. Eats are in line and I'm psyched! Can't wait now to visit that gym tomorrow and hoping I can join!

I'll check back this evening. Hi! to all and have a great day!

dip
diphthong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 02:46 PM   #9  
aka Superwoman!

Default Now that's what I call lifting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diphthong
Hey, Ladies!

I am not anticipating the pain, but I remember how good it felt the first time I could't get up off the toilet without grabbing onto something.

dip
Maybe that's where I'm going wrong... I can still pee without needing a crane!

Just had the BEST full body workout. Squats up 18lbs in 3 weeks, Deadlifts up 18lbs too, other things up by 10 and 12.5lbs

Going to collapse with Kill Bill II! That or a bath... Kill Bill... killl him...

Have a lovely day/evening laydees
Old 08-15-2005, 03:11 PM   #10  
Mel

Quote:
Just to scare the bejesus out of you two, that's how I backslid - Weekend off, weekdays on. And before I knew it, the carbs had taken over and I was addicted again.

Thanks, Dip. I'm not actually worried about backsliding or getting addicted to carbs again...my indulgences or cheats are usually "clean", just waaaaaay too much! Or wine..... I'm still doing battle with the peanut butter jar which dh and ds refuse to let me banish. Hey, it's healthy peanut butter! The only problem I have is that I can convince myself that a soup ladle is the size of a teaspoon.

It's very possible to eat way too much clean food, which has the same effect (without the excuse of water weight) as eating junk!

So far, the day is progressing well. The air conditioner guy showed up early and the whole fix was covered under our maintenance agreement Ds's braces are now re-affixed to his teeth, I trained 3 clients, did my chest workout (yipee! after a three week layoff from bench pressing, I did 10 pounds over my body weight this morning ) and went to a spin class (drip, drip). I'm thinking about getting certified as a spin instructor because (1) we are holding the certification workshop at my gym in November and (2) it will make me do intense cardio if I have to run the class! My only problem here is that I'm music challenged! I like to play it rather than listen, so I mentally tune out radio whenever it's on as background. I don't think Chopin etudes would make for good spin music

Back to the gym...

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 04:16 PM   #11  

Well I woke up this morning and made up my mind that I was going to come to you guys and confess how I've been destroying myself and low and behold it is the whole theme for the day (only I've been out of control for months in addition to over this weekend again). I have been keeping up with my weight training but really eating terrible ever since last November and I've gained back 30 of the 90 lbs I initially lost and it is scaring me to death. Loose 2 lbs gain back 3 loose 2 again and gain back 3 again ... I've starting fresh again today and really am trying to focus on just following the Body for Life for Women format and really making myself eat every meal. I know what I'm doing wrong ... eating way to little and then binging because I'm out of control but I'm so stressed out about it I can't get myself back in check. Anyway, confession is good for the sole, right? So I'm admitting I've been really screwing up and I'm hoping that I can now stop trying to magically starve the weight back off and just concentrate on actually eating, nice and healthy.

I did get up and meet with my PT at 5:30am this morning and had an OK leg workout. I have a new PT and we are in the "getting to know each other stage" so right now she is getting use to what I'm capable of doing. I did up the weight a couple of times on her but I’m pretty bad about watching how much I’m using, I usually concentrating more on form, etc.

Thanks guys for listening.
EofAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 06:39 PM   #12  
Ilene the Bean

Well, well, well, is this old folks week or what? Good to have you back Evangeline... You know who else I thought of this morning was JC from Australia! I wonder if she's lurking? Come out, come out wherever you are??

Food has been good today, verrrry good, but ya know it's only 6:39, I have a few hours left in the day....
Old 08-15-2005, 06:55 PM   #13  
Working My Way Back Down

, Ilene! Mine has been good today, too, though it's only 3 pm here. I'm eyeing the grapes sitting on my desk and know if I'd just eat them I'd feel better and stop thinking of something less good for me to eat, which - thank goodness - there isn't any of here at work.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 10:04 PM   #14  

HAHA! 2frus - the joke around my house is "call the crane, . . . . " I give "No pAin, No gAin," a whole new meaning!

Mel - you are the last one I worry about ever falling down - your sig line whacks me between the eyes every time I read one of your posts. Glad you got your AC fixed that quick. But I think you put a whammy on me this morning. When I went out to my car after lunch to return to work, it said, "click-click-click . . . " when I tried to start it. Battery. So my boss came by, jumped the battery and I drove 15 miles to NAPA for a new one. When I finally got back to the office, I spent 1.5 hours on a file and lost all my data when I went to SAVE. Got up to walk off my frustration and locked myself out of the office and FORGOT there was a spare key card hidden outside. Got back in and went to use the corprate AE number for a purchase and forgot where I hid it. At that point I am laughing quite hard at myself, and then counted my many blessings. But I was sure glad to get home and close the door behind me. Did my tri's but my knees couldn't handle the squats, not even with dumbbells out front. Very disappointing. But I did so well today that I am pleased in spite of it. And tonite I pushed the healthy PB far to the back of the frig and out of sight. But it's there in case of emergency.

Evangeline - Hi! I don't think I know you, but it sounds like we are in the same boat. I know we can get it done with the help of these fine ladies, and getting back to the gym. I did the same thing - gain, lose, gain lose, gain, gain, gain. And used every justifiable excuse I could think of. But the bottom line is I am responsible for my failure and I'm the only one who can fix it. And the only way I could fix it, I realized, was with my LWL toolbox. Hang tuff!

Grapes? Grapes? I didn't eat mine today, but can't now because it's too late, but I'll have them for sure in the morning! Hi Pat!

ILENE- my little jelly bean- I've been wondering about JC and Cindy (BFLcat), and a few of the others. I was hoping to see Tiki today! I was just looking at her pics in the album. She and her kids are just downright lovely.

Hi Ellen - glad you had such a wonderful anniversary!

Well, it's time for bed, but I'm going to cruise the forums a bit before turning in. See you all tomorrow - sleep well!

dip
diphthong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 03:48 AM   #15  
aka Superwoman!

Woooooo YEAH! Am still from my workout last night and raring to go kickboxing after work! Took a sneaky peak at the scales this morning and they're down a couple of lbs, so YAY! Bodies are so sloooooow! Almost as slow as me on a Sunday morning!

Plotting out my eats for the day and it looks like I have room for a HUGE protein shake at the end of the day! Mmmmm half price protein! I went to stock up the other day and the small box I usually buy was £1.50 more expensive than usual! So I checked the price with a cashier and what it said on the shelf was right... So I walked out in a huff! Then went to a health food shop and bought a kilo of the stuff for just £2.50 more! CRACKERS!

Hope everyone has a GREAT day!