View Single Post
Old 08-15-2005, 10:48 AM   #13
jillybean720
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Sounds like the same starting point as everyone else. The cycle tends to go: realize there is a problem with your weight, attempt to justify the weight gain to yourself, realize you need to do something about it, make excuses as to why you can't do any of the things you're supposed to do, realize it's going to be difficult but that you are worth the effort, and finally become successful!

Everyone has to face this initial hurdel--stop making excuses! We have all made a million excuses for not doing the things we should be doing, and trust me, none of your excuses are anything new If you want to lose weight, you need to suck it up and make some changes. They don't have to be expensive changes, but changes nonetheless. If you have decided you can afford WW, how do you think that will help if you are not willing to count anything or work with exchanges? From my understanding, the have the Points plan, which is counting points in your food, and they have the Core plan, which is basically an exchange plan (like the food pyramid or diabetic plan). If you're not going to follow their plans, then don't waste your money.

If you think you need in-person support and a weekly weigh-in to keep you on track, look into a support group like TOPS. They don't give you a plan to follow--you do whatever you want. But then you weigh-in weekly and have meetings to discuss nutrition, obstacles, exercise, etc. It's only $60 a year (which you don't have to pay all upfront--you can pay monthly) and then additional chapter-specific dues and fees (example, my chapter also has 25 cents a week for dues plus fines for gaining weight--25 cents for every 1/4 pound you gain). Also, because TOPS is a non-proit organization, they will work with you in times of financial hardship by waiving some of the fees if you truly cannot afford them.

As for diets, you don't have to follow a specific plan. Start by simply cutting back on portion sizes, then start making healthier replacements (lean meats, fruits and veggies for snacks, whole-grain breads and pastas, etc.). It doesn't have to be expensive or difficult. I buy all of my fruits and veggies frozen because I only have time to shop once a week (or once every other week!), so by buying them frozen, I know they will taste just as good as fresh in 3 weeks when I'm finally ready to use them Don't rely too heavily on prepared meals--it seems you've already said you don't want to do this, which is a good thing. While they may come low in fat and calories, they also come sky-high in sodium, so while your weight may go down, your blood pressure may be increasing just as quickly!
Got down to about 185 before pregnancy;
Benjamin David born March 24, 2012, 7 pounds 11 ounces
Post-pregnancy: 206.5
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote