View Single Post
Old 08-15-2005, 05:12 AM   #11
HamSandwich

IMNSHO: I agree with funniegirl. I think she is right on target here.
The fact is Creek Girl, it looks like you want to keep your current habits and not change. How's that working out for you?

The only way to lose weight is to consume fewer calories than you burn off in a day- everyday. You have to create a deficit of 3500 calories to burn off one lb of fat. How do you know how many calories you are taking in if you aren't writing it down? You don't. So my first suggestion is to realize that you are going to HAVE to do things you do not want to do. Until you come to accept that, you will get absolutely nowhere. You have to quit making excuses and start taking responsibility for your actions. We've all had to.

I'll make you a list of things that WILL work, but they will REQUIRE you to put forth the effort to do them:
1. Keep a strict food diary. Write down what you eat, how much you eat, and how many calories are in it. Do this religiously and be honest because you won't fool anyone but you if you lie.
2. Keep your calories under 1800. That is a safe level for anyone and a good place to start. Eventually, you could cut down to around 1500, but you don't want to start that low.
3. Change the things you are eating. No brainer. Cut out fast food altogether if possible and if not, print out a nutrition guide for your favorite spots and use it to make your choices and stay within your alloted calories.
4. Eat more fresh fruits and vegetables. They are good for you, low calorie, filling, and highly portable.
5. Choose lean cuts of meat, weigh it, and cook it healthfully (grilling, broiling, baking, boiling, steaming, etc).
6. Portion control. Invest in measuring cups, a small scale, measuring spoons and USE them. You needn't measure forever- just until you know what a portion actually looks like and are accustomed to serving no more than that.
7. Allow for treats now and then. Now that doesn't mean you can eat a plateful of cookies, but what it does mean that you can allow your favorite foods as long as you factor them into your alloted calories. I ate at KFC the other day, but I only ate half of the meal I ordered and took the rest home for later.
8. Get moving. Any exercise is better than none. Invest in a couple of workout tapes, jump rope, take a walk, dance, do some squats while washing dishes- anything. You don't need a gym, but if you're a student you may have access to school facilities and not even realize it.

You see, the only person who is going to keep you in line is you. It boils down to you. If you make excuses why you can't do these things, you are the one that fails. No one else does. There is no secret diet, there is no sargeant standing over you to regulate everything you do. It's all up to you and you alone. You have to find what works for you and go with it. Your current behaviors have gotten you where you are now. It's your behaviors that have to change. We can give you all the ideas and all the support in the world, but unless you make the commitment to yourself to make the changes- it's all moot.

We all have full schedules- we know how hard it is to make changes. I worked full time (I am in school now), am raising two kids, have a husband, animals, a house- I am a busy person. I found the time to do it and so can you if you really want to. I personally take the day I go grocery shopping to seperate fruits and vegetables for the week into single servings and write down my planned meals for the week. I cut chicken breasts in half (to make them thinner) and wrap them into packages for each dinner and freeze them. Same with other meats. I weigh and precut everything and have it ready to go for dinner so I don't have to do it at the last minute. I don't keep junk in the house- like chips and cookies and ice cream. It's paying off- I've lost 16 lbs so far and am still losing at a rate of about 2 lbs per week. It's slow, it's hard, and sometimes it really sucks, but I am in it for the long haul- and that means the rest of my life. You need to realize that this is a slow process. It requires a commitment and a strong will. You can either accept that you will have to change, or you can't. Do you realize that even if you decide that this is too hard and you just want to have "the surgery" (in quotes because there are actually several types of surgery), you will still have to alter the way you eat? So, no matter what, you are going to have to change to lose and maintain weightloss. You will have to be accountable.

A good place for you to start is http://www.healthstatus.com/calculators.html . Find out some info about yourself. Get on the internet and do some research. Invest a little bit of time in yourself, for yourself. Start to understand how nutrition and exercise affect your body. Look up nutrition information on different foods. Analyze your behaviors and figure out ways to change them that don't feel like torture to you. In the end, the only thing, the only person you have control over in this life is you. You better learn to take care of you- and that is going to take some time and some effort. Don't you think you are worth investing in?

I don't mean to come across as a total <expletive>. I am not ragging on you personally. I just firmly believe that too many times we make excuses not to change because we are afraid of what that means. Having to change means that we have to acknowledge the fact that we are responsible for where we are. We have to admit that we did something wrong. We have to take responsibility. It's never fun to face the fact that we put ourselves in a position to be so unhappy, but until we do we cannot overcome it.

Good luck!

You're alright
There's nothing wrong
Self sufficience please!
And get to work
And if you complain once more
You'll meet an army of me

HamSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote