View Single Post
Old 08-14-2005, 08:39 PM   #2
funniegrrl

Um, well, in my opinion you've found a reason to dismiss just about everything out there.

I don't know why you think the Food Pyramid isn't worth looking at -- any sensible plan that's written out for you is going to follow it to one degree or another. I don't know why you think the Dr. Phil plan is "for rich people." I don't know why you think Volumetrics is bland. You don't want to do nutrition calculations for everything but then you dismiss the ADA exchange plan, which is the SIMPLEST way to approach "counting" and maintain a balanced diet. You SEEM to want to retain all of your current food preferences and habits and find a plan that will magically accomodate all of them -- not planning/remembering/recording how much of what you've eaten in a day, eating meat-and-starch and forgoing other things, etc.

I would suggest that you back up a few steps and stop thinking about a particular plan at this point. You need to do a LOT more thinking about what you want to achieve and what you are willing to give up to do it. You are looking for something that will fit you perfectly and will not make you have to change anything about how you think or operate. I think you've taken a huge step forward in admitting you want to do something and thinking about your current limitations, but now you need to think of which of those limitations are real and which are things that could be changed with effort and creativity. After being seriously overweight all my life -- and much more than you currently are for most of the 1990s -- I've lost HALF of what I weighed 4 years ago. I did it because I finally realized that I had to make some fundamental changes in the way I lived my life. That meant doing some things I didn't like, that I wasn't in the habit of doing, that were uncomfortable. I simply made up my mind that I would do whatever it took to get to a healthy (not ideal, just healthier) weight.

While you are doing this pondering, you can go to www.fitday.com and create a free account, and simply start recording what you eat every day right now. This will give you an idea of how much you are consuming, what the nutrient balance, etc., and it will be a good habit to get into. There is lots of information on that site about creating a healthy weight loss-plan, but guess what? It's based on the Food Pyramid.

The other thing I would do is suggest you buy (or check out from the library) the book Thin for Life. This is not a specific diet plan but a book which describes successful strategies used by all sorts of people who have lost a lot of weight and kept it off. It can fuel some of the discussions you have with yourself about what's necessary, and it can give you some perspective on the difference between creating a new healthy lifestyle and "dieting."

Even though you've already dismissed it, I do think the Dr. Phil Weight Loss book is valuable for similar reasons. It describes the kind of internal changes and strategies that can make the difference between success and short-term dieting. You don't have to follow the specific food plan; the information is useful regardless of what sort of plan you eventually follow.

Last edited by funniegrrl : 08-14-2005 at 09:19 PM.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote