Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-25-2005, 02:37 AM   #1  

Default Gazelle: anyone 250#+ use it? how do you like it?

I am 300+ and recently purchased an elliptical. I found that I needed to drop all of the machines that work my lower half at the gym when I started doing the elliptical. I also find the elliptical very hard to do.

I am considering purchasing a Gazelle (they offer one that is rated for up to 350#). One thing that I want to use it for is during times of temptation. I know that I will not choose to jump on the ellipitical instead of binging, but I might jump on the Gazelle. (Walking, biking and running are out of the question for me due to the wear and tear on the joints.)

Do you own a gazelle? Do you use it? Is it relatively easy to use? Were you able to begin using it for 15 or more minutes from the box? How long was it useful to you before your fitness level outgrew it?

Last edited by princess.; 07-25-2005 at 02:39 AM. Reason: spelling
princess. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 09:26 AM   #2  
diamondgeog

Over the weekend I ordered the 'Gazelle extreme' from HSN. It seems that this edition is only sold by HSN but that it is the middle of the line, 300lb weight limit one with some modifications. Grip pulse instead of thumb pulse and possibly some resistance setting.

In any event, I will report back when I start using it so sorry I can not answer any of your questions now. I have to admit his TV style never worked for me but going to his website I like what I found. There is some good information all around there. He has many exercises listed, food suggestions for fast food chains that are solid, and a list of 10 weight loss tips that I also found solid.

I am hoping that I enjoy the machine. As I said I will report back as soon as I get it, set it up, and use it for a few days. BTW the HSN was free shipping now and at least in Texas no tax so it was not a bad deal. If it gives me a good CV workout that I enjoy doing, well worth the money. BTW I am around 265-260 now so I am hoping I will be fine on the 300lb limit one.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:34 AM   #3  

I have a gazelle trainer.. I weigh 250 right now.. I just started using it again 2 days ago and I love it. when I first bought it I lost a lot on it.. I can use it for 30 minutes straight sometimes more and I also do 10-15 minute intervals through the day. Its easy to use and I dont get sick of it. When I first bought it I weighed 220 or so and I got down to around 180. Hopefully I can lose more this time on it.
pinkbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 11:01 PM   #4  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

My mom has something very similar to the Gazelle, but it's not actually a Gazelle. It does the same thing and looks nearly identical, but it's just an off-brand. She had it folded and against the wall in the sunroom, next to an ab roller that had paperwork stacked on it. We drug it out into the livingroom and I spent time on it every night in front of the TV while visiting. I tried my best to get her to let me take it home with me, but she swears she wants to use it...some day. We'll see if it's back in the sunroom next time I visit.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 01:23 AM   #5  

Hi Princess. I have had mine for about 3 years but never used it regularly until my diabetic diagnosis 3-31-04. I was 304.5 and a totally confirmed couch potato. I found that at first I could only do about 5 min...then in a few days 10..My ankles were really sore at first but I continued and began to really enjoy it. I have it in my living room and use it in the evenings after supper while I watch tv. I usually do 30-45 min a day at about 4 miles and hour. I think you will like it and it is totally no impact. I alternate this with walking on a treadmill now. I hope you enjoy it. Especially from total inactivity it will really make you feel good. Cindi
Flower Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 01:26 AM   #6  

I forgot to mention that I don't think you would outgrow it. I still use mine on the first setting...you can change it to 3 different resistance settings and there are lots of different exercises that you can do. I still just like the original one and keep trying to go faster and raise my legs higher. Cindi
Flower Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 09:50 AM   #7  
diamondgeog

Mine arrived last night and so far I am very impressed. I got the one you can find on HSN. The instructions were clear and the machine assembled fairly easily. I had laid out something backward and had to go back, but that was user error.

There was a small problem with one piece that does not affect overall use. I called fitness quest (the actual manufacturer) and they are going to send out a replacement. They even had me no record already as an owner via HSN. I just tried it for a few minutes and could really feel it. It literally took me 30 seconds to get the movement down.

My wife said I looked unstable and I could not quite get the arms and the legs in unison then it just happens naturally after I said 30 seconds. I wish golf was that easy to learn Look at the user reviews on HSN and other places. I have bought exercise equipment before and this looks sturdy and well made.

I am around 260 now and I felt just fine on it. But a word of warning. The bottom of the line one is only rated at 250lbs. This one is rated 300lbs. Included in the HSN price are 4 DVDs, an eating booklet (yet to look at it), computer with heart rate, distance, etc. The best thing is low or really no impact and that from the very first stroke or walk or whatever you want to call it I was also using my arms siginficantly. Legs, arms, and a good CV workout? So far well worth the money. I will report more as I get in 'the swing of things'.

Last thing. It comes with wrenches, you only need a phillips head screwdriver and it is probably best to have another person there. It is about a 60lb box so keep that in mind. It is also basically noiseless operation if that is a concern.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:26 PM   #8  
diamondgeog

Week and half update. So far it has exceeded all of my expectations. I have used it every day but one in ever increasing time amounts. The one I bought came with 4 DVDs and they have been a very pleasant suprise. I kind of avoided the gazelle infomercials since Tony was grating.

He is actually fantastic in the DVDs. Very motivating, says sensible encourging things and is not overboard at all. He has a great energy level in his DVDs. I have found it to be an excellent CV workout and without question for me MUCH better than treadmills. I had a treadmill and I think I used it as much in the first 6 months as I have used this in a week and half. It is very enjoyable. It has already increased my energy level noticably and my wife says I am snoring much less or at least she hasn't been woken up since I have started.

I am over 250lbs and I feel very secure on it. I also appreciate the customer service. I have received replacement parts and HSN sent in my registration automatically. I was in a walmart the other day and they had the $99 cheap one. It did not look nearly as sturdy and it is rated at 250lbs so it was out of the question for me anyway.

The computer on the HSN one works perfectly and with 4 dvds and the price I could not be more pleased. In just one month from having my 'turning point' moment I feel SOOOOO much better. I needed more than eating better though and some strength exercise. I needed CV and the gazelle has been the best piece of exercise equipment I have ever had for making CV fun and enjoyable and a pleasure to do.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:57 PM   #9  

I bought the Gazelle Edge at my local Walmart because it was the cheapest version of an elliptical that I could find. I like it okay, but when I was a member of the gym, they had a PRECOR elliptical machine that I absolutely loved!!! The Gazelle, in my opinion, does not match up to that, but it is a good place to start. Plus, right now I am in school and can't afford the gym and the PRECOR elliptical costs about $3000. When I graduate I want to see about purchasing the PRECOR on some kind of payment plan to have at my home.

If you're just starting, the Gazelle is fine though.
leighlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 10:54 PM   #10  

I just got mine today. I did 30 minutes tonight while listening to some music and couldn't believe that time was up already!
AliLewis328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 08:23 PM   #11  
is super! (:

S/C/G: 247/216/190

Height: 5'11

i have a gazelle, im not sure which one though. but its an official gazelle. when i first used it, it seemed too easy, and i did lose some weight using the gazelle & denise austin dvds but i have limited space in my room, so i had to constantly fold it up and put it away and drag it out when i wanted to use it. plus i have 4 cats - not easy. if you have the space for it to be up ALL the time, then its a great machine. it was too much of a hassle for me because it was so heavy and took up so much space (stored and during use) now i just go to the gym. (:

<3 cat

hotpinktruckerhats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 08:33 PM   #12  

I had to jump in a give you my 2 cents on the Gazelle.. I love mine I have the one from sears that has resistance. Im disabled and find that its easy to use! Good Luck! Gina H
dgjp8991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 08:31 PM   #13  

Default Love my gazelle!

I purchased my Gazelle on the HSN special as well as some of you. It seems to me to be the easiest and most effective way to do cardio. Tony bugged me in his infomercials, but like someone mentioned, he is truely motivating and informative on the dvds. My friend had lost 60 pounds using her Gazelle so that helped me make up my mind to try it. The first 5 or 10 minutes it seems too easy and you aren't sure you are doing anything but after that even as short as 20 minutes, you are really working it and your circulation when you get off is amazing. I think it is terrific!
Susan
onthebrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 10:08 PM   #14  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

If Tony bugs you on hsi infomercials, make sure not to watch his Geicomercials. LOL!
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 03:33 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess.
I am 300+ and recently purchased an elliptical. I found that I needed to drop all of the machines that work my lower half at the gym when I started doing the elliptical. I also find the elliptical very hard to do.

I am considering purchasing a Gazelle (they offer one that is rated for up to 350#). One thing that I want to use it for is during times of temptation. I know that I will not choose to jump on the ellipitical instead of binging, but I might jump on the Gazelle. (Walking, biking and running are out of the question for me due to the wear and tear on the joints.)

Do you own a gazelle? Do you use it? Is it relatively easy to use? Were you able to begin using it for 15 or more minutes from the box? How long was it useful to you before your fitness level outgrew it?
I have the Gazelle Freestyle Elite and I cant say enough about it! I use it every other day for 30 mins I also go to the gym and work out five days a week. Do any of you know how many cals you burn on a 30 min workout on a Gazelle? I got my Gazelle from FitnessQuest on payments.
myluv4logan is offline   Reply With Quote