Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 10:15 PM   #1  
Elizabeth

S/C/G: 233/158/145

Height: 5'6

Default Scary recipe

Hi all!

I tried to post on the original scary recipe thread and was unsuccessful, so I decided to start a new thread. I thought it was a neat idea because it helps control my appetite instead of making me salivate like good recipes!

Please feel free to post any scary, weird , gross and unusual recipes that you know.

I am a Louisiana native and know how wonderful the food is! I also know of the dark side of Louisiana cuisine ----it involves the nutria rat!

The Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries has a website with a recipe for nutria sausage--they cleverly left out nutrias' full name "nutria rat".
Somehow, I guess the rat part didn't sound too tasty?

The recipe is a part of the nutria control program . These nutria breed like, well, rats and they are overpopulated. They also offer $$ for hunters who bring in nutria tails!

The nutria rat is like a cross between a beaver and a rat. It can weigh up to 25lbs and some have long orange fangs. I promise, I am NOT making this up!

Here is the website if you are curious about what a nutria rat looks like and would like to learn more about the nutria control program......

http://www.nutria.com/site23.php

RECIPE:
Nutria Sausage

Recipe by: Chef Enola Prudhomme

2 pounds nutria meat
1 pound pork meat
10 1/2 ounces potato, peeled
2 1/4 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons Enola's Secret Seasoning (or Creole Seasoning)
1 teaspoon sage

Ground nutria and pork with potato. Add all other ingredients; mix well. If using bar-b-que pit to smoke, build fire on one side of pit. Place sausage on the other side of pit; this will allow smoke to get to sausage without cooking too fast. If you have used bacon fat, put on your fire. This will create lots of smoke. This will take less time to get a good smoke taste. Let sausage smoke 1 hour and 15 minutes; turn; let smoke 1 hour, then remove from pit and let cool.

Makes 4 pounds, 5 ounces.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:54 PM   #2  
it's always something

I didn't click the link, because I've heard of them before, but I didn't realize people ATE them Though it shouldn't surprise me, people eat a lot of odd things. I'm a huge fan of Anthony Bourdain, and watched him eat goat balls, iguana, and a wide variety of nasty things on the food channel! Though that's not exactly why I'm a fan of his Instead, he takes food to a new level by exloring the cultures behind it. He turns it into an experience.

I've had enough bad experiences with normal food to take away my appetite. You wouldn't believe the things I've found in my food that didn't belong. In fact, I baked my own bread for 10 years due to finding something in a loaf!

But what is equally as scary is the lengthy ingredient lists found on foods that should be simple. Check this out --
Quote:
GRILLED CHICKEN BREAST WITH RIB MEAT - CHICKEN BREAST WITH RIB MEAT, WATER, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF SODIUM LACTATE, CHICKEN FLAVOR (CONTAINS CHICKEN BROTH, SALT, WHEAT STARCH, FLAVOR, THIAMINE HYDROCHLORIDE), SALT, POTASSIUM LACTATE, DEXTROSE, SODIUM PHOSPHATES, SODIUM DIACETATE. SUGAR FREE CHERRY GELATIN - ARTIFICIALLY FLAVORED - WATER, GELATIN, ADIPIC ACID (FOR TARTNESS), SODIUM CITRATE (CONTROLS ACIDITY), CITRIC ACID (FOR TARTNESS), ASPARTAME** (SWEETENER), ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, RED 40, ACESULFAME POTASSIUM (SWEETENER), SALT, BLUE 1. **PHENYLKETONURICS: CONTAINS PHENYLALANINE. WHOLE WHEAT TORTILLAS - WATER, MODIFIED WHEAT STARCH, WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR, CELLULOSE POWDER, PALM OIL, VITAL WHEAT GLUTEN, WHEAT PROTEIN ISOLATE, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF SALT, LEAVENING (SODIUM BICARBONATE, SODIUM ACID PYROPHOSPHATE), CELLULOSE GUM, DISTILLED MONOGLYCERIDES, WHEAT STARCH, ALPHA AMYLASE, PRESERVATIVES (CALCIUM PROPIONATE, SORBIC ACID, FUMARIC ACID, SODIUM METABISULFITE), VEGETABLE OIL (SOYBEAN AND/OR CANOLA OILS), TRIGLYCERIDES, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, CARAMEL COLOR, SUCRALOSE. CAESAR DRESSING - WATER, SOYBEAN OIL, VINEGAR, CORN SYRUP, PARMESAN AND ROMANO MADE FROM COW'S MILK CHEESE (PART-SKIM MILK, CHEESE CULTURE, SALT, ENZYMES), SALT, SUGAR, EGG YOLKS, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF GARLIC, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, XANTHAN GUM, LEMON JUICE CONCENTRATE, LACTIC ACID, PHOSPHORIC ACID, ANCHOVIES, HYDROLYZED SOY PROTEIN, DRIED CORN SYRUP, SPICE, WITH POTASSIUM SORBATE AND CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA AS PRESERVATIVES, POLYSORBATE 60, DEFATTED SOY FLOUR, DRIED GARLIC, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED COTTONSEED AND/OR SOYBEAN OIL, WHEAT, NATURAL FLAVOR, TAMARIND, SOYBEANS, CARAMEL COLOR, MALTODEXTRIN. PARMESAN CHEESE - PASTEURIZED PART-SKIM MILK, CHEESE CULTURE, SALT AND ENZYMES.
This is the ingredient list on a food that was designed for a popular diet that promotes whole grains, lots of veggies, and lean meats. Yet in the quest to eliminate the white stuff, the above is the resulting product. It's always a personal choice, of course, but I don't consider this a better option for myself.

Lately, I've taken a new attitude towards food. I've come to realize that it should be something to be enjoyed. Dieting can be very monotonous, boring, and uninteresting. This causes a lot of people to go off plan and they sabotage their own efforts by being too restrictive. Other people find they do better when they consider food to be an experience to be enjoyed, though obviously not to excess, lol.

So I don't want to be grossed out by food. I don't think that will help me in the end. I'm learning to cook better, am experimenting with new seasonings, techniques in cooking, and really seeing how far I can go with food to make it delicious and still be healthy.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:28 PM   #3  
Working My Way Back Down

Suzanne, you should read this month's O (Oprah) magazine. It's got a lot of articles about food, and our approach to eating. One article is by a woman who gave up her highly processed "diet" foods for a month, and ate more "real" food. Interesting.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:40 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRat
Suzanne, you should read this month's O (Oprah) magazine. It's got a lot of articles about food, and our approach to eating. One article is by a woman who gave up her highly processed "diet" foods for a month, and ate more "real" food. Interesting.
I gotta get that article Pat, did the woman lose weight?? I bet she did??

Welcome back BTW
Old 08-10-2005, 01:40 PM   #5  
Working My Way Back Down

Hi Ilene! I'm trying to remember, but I think she maintained, though she admits that once she was eating "real" ice cream again she ate it too often. It did make a good point about how a lot of us tend to go overboard with the highly processed foods in search of cutting a few calories/fat grams/whatever, when really if we choose wisely, we can eat good tasting, less expensive, better for us real stuff.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:50 PM   #6  

I saw the Oprah episode last week that went through the 10 super foods. I'm trying to get a few into my diet. I joined weight watchers last summer. I had lost 20lbs, but gained 5 back. I am reaaly struggling to lost the last 15. I am 159 now, I would like to be 140 at 5"7.
If anyone has any help for me I would love to hear it!
Thanks
Old 08-16-2005, 11:02 AM   #7  

I once found a recipe for blood stew - it really did list for cow blood!
Old 08-16-2005, 12:03 PM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

When I was young my mom would give us this ''boudin'' I loved it!! My family is French... Later on I married an English guy who advised me that ''boudin'' was ''blood pudding''... I NEVER ate it again!!
Old 08-16-2005, 02:38 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

At the Asian market I shop at sometimes, they sale pig bile in quart containers. I can't imagine what they do with it! My Dh says it's used in some recipe.

He used to buy a snack at the same store, dried orange peel with snake bile. Yuck!

Sarah
Old 08-16-2005, 03:40 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahyu
At the Asian market I shop at sometimes, they sale pig bile in quart containers. I can't imagine what they do with it! My Dh says it's used in some recipe.

He used to buy a snack at the same store, dried orange peel with snake bile. Yuck!

Sarah
Sounds like something from Fear Factor
Old 08-16-2005, 07:35 PM   #11  

This is not a scary recipe, more a scary idea. I am in need of creative brown bag recipes. I have access to a fridge and microwave. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-17-2005, 03:04 AM   #12  
would-be librarian

Yes, quite a few cultures have dishes that include animal blood as an ingreedient. There's Polish duck's blood soup and also "blood pudding" (I don't know the traditional name, sorry) in Filipino cuisine.

My best friend and next door neighbor growing up was Filipino, and her mom would never let us (my brother and I) eat her blood pudding! I'm not sure if she thought that we just wouldn't like it, or that maybe our mother would be horrified

The thought of eating a rat is mighty gross! :P I'm not very fond of meat to begin with. We have muskrats here in Nevada, so I decided to see if there's any recipes on the net for them. Among others, I found carmelized muskrat on a plank and baked, stuffed muskrats

This webpage has lots of recipes for some odd animal species: http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/martin/newsl...ipes/list.html
Closed Thread